Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

History of Brisbane Chess Club

I'm interested in learning/ compiling more about the history of the Brisbane Chess Club. Can anyone help?

-- Office Bearers
    -- Club Champs
    -- Locations (there have been a few!)

Pat Byrom. Will this thread finally bring you out of lurking!?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

An interrogation of Patrick Byrom, a chance meeting with someone else and the prospect of more pickings next week has us this far:

1895 - School of Arts, City
    --
    c. 1976 Community Arts Centre 109 Edward St, City (P) Kerry Corker
    ------
    1980-1985 Metro Arts Centre 109 Edward St, City (P) Kerry Corker
    1986 Embroiderers' Guild 149 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley (P) Pat Byrom
    1987-1991 Majestic Hotel George & Turbot Sts, City (P) Paul Chalupa
    1991 (P) Lindsay Knight (dec'd)
    1992 BAFS Building George & Turbot Sts, City (opposite) (P) Pat Byrom
    1992-2007 Qld Contract Bridge Club 67 Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba (P) Pat Byrom
    Last edited by Basil; 16-03-2007 at 08:36 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

My games have been finishing late (of late ) and so I have not had a chance to speak with some of the older players.

Take this opportunity to suggest to those interested in garnering history of their own clubs, to sit a while with some of the players in your club who might be a little passed their best and not really into the frantic 3 minute stuff we all like to play - before - you know. History is a wonderful thing.

33 Years History & Counting

Thanks to Jim Petrie for filling in a few more dots

1895 - School of Arts, City
    --
    1973-1980 State Services House, City (P) >'73 Bruce Holliday. (P) '74-85 Jim Petrie
    The rent was raised and the club decamped
    1980 The Contract Bridge Club, off Milton Road, Milton (temp home)
    1980-1985 Metro Arts Centre, 109 Edward St, City (P) Kerry Corker
    The rent was raised and the club decamped, again.
    1986 Embroiderers' Guild 149 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley (P) Pat Byrom
    1987-1991 Majestic Hotel, George & Turbot Sts, City (P) Paul Chalupa. 1991 (P) Lindsay Knight (dec'd)
    1992 BAFS Building George & Turbot Sts, City (opposite) (P) Pat Byrom
    1992-2007 Qld Contract Bridge Club, 67 Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba (P) Pat Byrom
    Last edited by Basil; 14-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Digging through old CIAs (Chess In Australia) and noticed a Queensland directory listing in the September/ October issue for:

The Metropolitan Chess Club, RSL Hall, 79 Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba.

Can anyone shed even a skerrick of light on this? This location is 10 dorrs away from the current location, yet I've never heard it mentioned in 7 years at the club!

Wait! Don't answer! There's more!

In the following issue of CIA, there appears the following:

"Yugolslav GM, Stefan Djuric gave some insight into the world of grandmaster chess at the inaugural meeting of the new Metropolitan Club in Brisbane ..."

Now, the BCC was believed to be operating out of premises in The Valley at the time - and yet here is the Metropolitan club next door to the BCC's current location.

OK, now you can answer ... what was going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    OK, now you can answer ... what was going on?
    I really don't know why Pat just doesn't sign up and be done with it! Grateful for this insight via e-mail:

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Byrom
    I suspect that the short-lived Metropolitan Club would have been started by Kerry Corker and Mark Craven in competition to the Brisbane Chess Club being run by Paul Chalupa. They were living in Annerley at the time. While it was located near our present location, the Bridge Club only moved here in about 1990 - before that, the building was a CES office.
    Thanks Pat. That's another one cleared up!

The recent project of building the Brisbane International Chess Club web-site over 100 years after its inception has been a satisfying (to date) undertaking; delving into the club's history.

I have been fortunate enough to interview a number of the more senior members (and others on the way).

The majority of the information has come from back copies of the various incarnations of Australian Chess magazines. But there are holes in our records!

If any reader of this BB has cause to flick through their old issues (and other resources) and comes across even the remotest morsel regarding the Brisbane Chess Club, I'd very grateful to receive the information.

Thank you
    Carry on.

Looking good HD. Any update on when the Int'l club will appear on the stock exchange?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Originally Posted by Pat Byrom
    I suspect that the short-lived Metropolitan Club would have been started by Kerry Corker and Mark Craven in competition to the Brisbane Chess Club being run by Paul Chalupa. They were living in Annerley at the time. While it was located near our present location, the Bridge Club only moved here in about 1990 - before that, the building was a CES office.

Thanks Pat. That's another one cleared up!
    Close, but it was actually founded by Allan Fossey (when he was CAQ Secretary)

History hounds may be interested to know that more Brisbane Chess Club tournament results from 2000 and 2001 have been added to its web site http://www.scenemagazine.com.au/bcc <results>

Two things of particular interest to me:
    1. I joined in 1999 (not 2000) as previously suspected
    2. One Brian Thomas played in a 2000 tournament!

Not sure if the City of Brisbane Champs is within the scope of your history, but I did play in that around 2000 (give or take a year). =2nd with Cam Bailey, half a pt behind FM Nik Stawski IIRC.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Not sure if the City of Brisbane Champs is within the scope of your history, but I did play in that around 2000 (give or take a year). =2nd with Cam Bailey, half a pt behind FM Nik Stawski IIRC.
    COB was a CAQ event (although held at the Brisbane Club), so on that basis I'm not putting the results on the BCC web page. However ...

they could go on the CAQ page

COB was a CAQ event (although held at the Brisbane Club), so on that basis I'm not putting the results on the BCC web page. However ...

they could go on the CAQ page
    I think the current City of Brisbane champion is a tall, handsome, intelligent, charming gentleman. I'm sure you can ask him for advice if you see him around.

yes, yes,yes Howie - I know I'm fouling up your thread - I just couldn't help myself.

The COB wasn't held last year, and won't be held this year - as was the edict of the CAQ.
    Last edited by Basil; 24-01-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Thread Information