1895-1995 Qld Chess Championships

Some 5 years before my introduction to the Australian Chess scene, Queensland commemorated its centenary of state chess championships. I am fortunate enough to have been sent a commemorative booklet published by Ian Murray to mark the event. Now 12 years hence - probably seems like only yesterday!

Its RRP at the time was $7.95. Anyone interested may wish to contact Ian through the CAQ (or this board) for a back-copy. 56 pages covering both the inaugural and the 1995 event.

I will endeavour to offer extracts of interest in coming posts.

Ian acknowledges the help received from Bob Meadley and John van Manen (chess historians) and Ken Fraser, custodian (and (then) retired) of the Anderson Chess Collection in the State Library of Victoria.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

From The Australian Chess Annual 1896

... we find that the beginning of 1895 saw chess fairly popular throughout the colony. There were in Brisbane and suburbs several chess clubs, the senior being that connected with The School of Arts.

There were also recently established
    -- Brisbane Chess Club, and suburban clubs at
    -- South Brisbane
    -- Sandgate
    and those formed among the employees of the
    -- Railway Department
    -- Government Printing Office
    -- General Post Office, and
    -- Telegraph Newspaper
    Mention might also be made of those gathering at the Stock Exchange.

In the country, clubs were in existence (mostly attached to the local schools of art) at
    -- Townsville
    -- Charters Towers
    -- Rockhampton
    -- Maryborough
    -- Gympie
    -- Ipswich, and
    -- Toowoomba

In concluding our all too brief resumé, we regert we are unable to chronicle any events such as inter-colonial, telegraphic, simultaneous or sans-voir (blindfold) performances.

Some mention is made of inter-club matches
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Andrew Palmer won the Championship at the age of 17 - juniors were terrorists then, too! He went on to win in 1903, 1904, 1907 and 1908. He then dropped from sight.

A letter of his has survived:

C/- Agricultural Bank
    Box 123B
    GPO Brisbane

8th January 1945

Dear Mr Johnson

I have missed you on one or two occasions at the YMCA on a Thursday night. However, I hope to contact you one day. Meanwhile, if you happen to be in the vicinity of Bayards Building, South Brisbane, I would be very pleased to see you if you would call upon me at the Agricultural Bank.

I have been looking through some records and on account of the lapse of time, I am sorry to say they are not too complete although I have been married only once.

However, I noticed a dilapidated newspaper cutting dated 24th - I think it is December or November 1900 - and included in this newspaper article are certain details of a telegraphic match between Queensland and New South Wales which resulted in a draw.

With regard to this match, the late Mr Apperly who was at one time champion of Queensland and Resident Secretary of the AMP Society, captained the team. My late father, Mr W. Palmer, also a fair chess player is recorded to have acted as an efficient umpire for NSW at the Brisbane end.

I had the opening move at board 2. Evans Gambit Declined. It was recorded that early in the game I established a superiority in position, and playing correctly, soon had a won game. Mr Jonas, who was champion of NSW or champion of Australia at one time, I am not quite sure, did not appear at his best and some of his moves did not reflect the deliberation and correctness which generally characterised his play.

With regard to the Queensland team, I regret to state that Messrs Apperly, Billing, Boyce, Bell, Mr Justice Stumm, leading architect Addison and Messrs Hounslow and Parkinson have passed on.

The two survivors happen to be Mr HE Dix, still an important officer of Edwards Dunlop & Co. Pty Ltd and myself.

Sincerely
    Andrew Palmer
    [age 66]

Here is one of Palmer's games from the play-off against W. Syson (with whom he tied in the round robin 14.5 each). It appears Syson was a little unlucky. He'd beaten Palmer 2-0 in the round robin, tied with him overall, and lost the title but for a single game. Syson never made it to the honour board.

With interruptions, adjournments and play-offs, the 12 player double round robin tournament, which began on 1st July 1895, was not completed until December.

He lost this rather dull affair (but won the play-off 3.5 - 2.5 (3 drawn)). It's fascinating to look at the (relatively) modest standard of play as well as the annotator's notes from the day!

[Qld Chess Championship]
    [Brisbane Chess Club]
    [1895]
    [Playoff Game]
    [White "A. Palmer"]
    [Black "W. Syson"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B22"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Basil; 11-03-2007 at 10:34 PM.

And one from the players that finished 3rd (14 points) and 6th (8.5 points) respectively. Readers can draw their own conclusions as to the standard of play. One thing is for sure; development and king safety weren't priority concepts of the day! Apart from the swashbuckling veneer of yesteryear, I think this observation has much to do with the availability of chess literature and information generally.

I'm truly surprised to learn that even 100 years ago with the above mentioned caveat of education, that play at this level allowed the pawn to queen - perpetrated by the third best in the state.

[Qld Championships]
    [1895]
    [Game 25]
    [White "A.B. Parker"]
    [Black "Wm. C. Poole"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "C45"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Basil; 11-03-2007 at 09:58 PM.

100 Years On

To commemorate the centenary, the CAQ staged a group of tournaments befitting the occasion (sponsored by Computer Wreckers):
    -- Qld Championship
    -- Qld Major (Reserve)
    -- Qld Minor
    -- Qld Novice

The premier event brought together the strongest field ever in a Qld state event, lured by the prestige attached to this historic occasion and the richest purse ever offered in the Qld Championship.

Included were five former champs
    -- Craig Laird (89, 93, 94)
    -- Stephen Solomon (87, 88, 90, 91, 95)
    -- Andrew Allen (92)
    -- Tony Truscott (75)
    -- John Myers (71, 73. 77, 82)

Also taking part were the two top state juniors
    -- Charles Pizzato (95 Junior Champ), and
    -- Max Leskiewicz.

Others in the field of 12 were
    -- David Stephson
    -- Andrew Meldrum
    -- Alain Pardoen
    -- Murray Campbell
    -- Michael Corner

Stephen Solomon won (8.5) with only 4.5 points splitting the field. His ACF rating at the time was 2402 (FIDE 2400). Images in the souvenir booklet of both Palmer (1895) and Solomon bear a striking resemblance to each other!

Ian Murray was appointed to oversee the events and subsequent celebrations. A centenary dinner was arranged for the Saturday following the culmination of the event.

Invited as guests of honour were the surviving 15 Qld champions
    -- Garry Koshnitsky (1926-28)
    -- Max Salm (1939, 1945-48, 1966-67)
    -- Lionel Sapsford (1949, 1952)
    -- Vassily Lapin (1958, 1961-62, 1964-65)
    -- John Myers
    -- Tony Truscott
    -- John Harris (1976)
    -- Colin Morris (1978, 1980, 1985-86)
    -- Juan Kloostra (1979)
    -- David Lovejoy (1981)
    -- Mark Robertson (1983) *
    -- Bruce Holiday (1984)
    -- Stephen Solomon
    -- Craig Laird
    -- Andrew Allen

All attended except apologies from Koshnitsky and Harris. Apparently the event, company and the conversations were enjoyed by all.

* Howard Duggan was board 1 of the BBC school team in 1983 until this fella turned up!
    Last edited by Basil; 11-03-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Solomon's Only Loss

Here's John Myers pinching the full point against the champ (rated a full 600 points upstream at the time!). It was Solomon's only loss of the tournament and proof that Myers who had won the title 21 years earlier was still capable of biting. Myers was rated 2055 FIDE at the time.

[Qld Championship]
    [1995]
    [Round 2]
    [White Stephen Solomon '2400']
    [Black John Myers '1898']
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "C60"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Basil; 11-03-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Where did John Myers reside at when champ, Townsville?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Here's John Myers pinching the full point against the champ (rated a full 600 points upstream at the time!). It was Solomon's only loss of the tournament and proof that Myers who had won the title 21 years earlier was still capable of biting. Myers was rated 2055 FIDE at the time.

[Qld Championship]
    [1995]
    [Round 2]
    [White Stephen Solomon '2400']
    [Black John Myers '1898']
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "C60"]
    Beautiful. I cannot believe Solo resigned there though. Perhaps an incomplete sheet? or loss on time?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Last edited by Garrett; 13-03-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added pgn tags

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    J Following is my only win against him and one of my best games ever which will surely go down in Qld Chess history.
    Hi George

Good win!

Now get this crap out of the history thread Otherwise I'll tell Barry on you. It is worthy of note and should go into another thread. Damn French.

If Barry's not around, I know a great Janitor who will assist

Thread Information