Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

Welcome to the new forum - Australian Chess History

As suggested by Howard Duggan the this forum is created for discussion of Australian Chess History. If there are existing threads which should be moved there please notify a moderator or myself via PM with a HTML link to the thread you would like moved.

Otherwise best wishes with the new forum. I hope many will find it worthwhile.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

The Pioneer Scots

Article on Andrew Burns (1831-1901) in Australian Chess magazine March/April 2007 Issue.

This a sequel to earlier article on Alexander McCombe (1823-1903)

Both articles written by Bob Meadley with assistance from Ken Fraser and the State Library of Victoria.

Scotland is famous for its chess pioneers!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Article on Andrew Burns (1831-1901) in Australian Chess magazine March/April 2007 Issue.

Both articles written by Bob Meadley with assistance from Ken Fraser and the State Library of Victoria.

Brian, out of interest, who owns the copyright on those articles? The author or the publisher?

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Brian, out of interest, who owns the copyright on those articles? The author or the publisher?
    Don't know Barry - I suspect neither (because the photos/sketches required special permission to use).

What's the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Don't know Barry - I suspect neither (because the photos/sketches required special permission to use).

What's the answer?
    Assuming the IP side could be managed it might be worthwhile for some form of the articles to be published in threads here. Of course I'm just suggesting this would be done a respectable amount of time after having appeared in print.

The chess chat people would be enriched by it and it would be a way for the authors to receive some feedback on their articles and perhaps discover new leads and connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Copyright is inherent in the creation. I don't believe it has to be specifically claimed. The act of claiming is primarily for identification purposes (and providing a basis for resolving disputes).

Both the author of a works and the entity which commissioned it jointly own copyright, but not to the exclusion of the other. A common example is to be found in publishing where both the photographer and the publisher own the copyright, except where ownership is specifically excluded; and I think even these clauses have failed on examination. Denis?

Where identification is not possible (say through the lapse of time) then no ownership applies. An example will be a children's nursery rhyme (anon). Interestingly, some modern artists and telephone music on hold firms use such works to escape paying royalties.

Where ownership lies with a trust or a not for profit entity, then often the words 'with kind permission' or similar will be used and no financial arrangement will exist; it may even be specifically excluded by the benefactor/ custodian.

Often payment where it is chargeable will be determined payable or not, by the owner depending on the nature of the use, viz; a commercial one or otherwise (say for the sake of public interest).
    Last edited by Basil; 11-03-2007 at 04:53 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Blah blah blah
    I asked as some publishers ask authors to sign a transfer of copyright agreement.

Barry, did I miss something?

You seem offended? Ennui? "blah blah blah" ???

I can assure you, whatever motivation you have apparently ascribed to my post, you have entirely misread.

I thought your question was a good one and I thought my answer may have been of both of general and specific interest, especially in light of Brian's guess that no-one owned the copyright, which as it happened was incorrect, since the author was identified.
    Last edited by Basil; 11-03-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Both the author of a works and the entity which commissioned it jointly own copyright, but not to the exclusion of the other. A common example is to be found in publishing where both the photographer and the publisher own the copyright, except where ownership is specifically excluded; and I think even these clauses have failed on examination. Denis?
    Sorry - I don't know. Copyright is one of those arcane legal areas into which I did not delve. But Barry's question, as explained, is, I know, relevant to photographers too, as often the organisers of photographic competitions for money prizes make it a condition of entry that copyright in the entries passes to the organisers.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

OK, thanks Denis.

Well if you can't explain the finer points as requested, can you explain Barry's inexplicable overreaction to my post!

Well if you can't explain the finer points as requested, can you explain Barry's inexplicable overreaction to my post!
    Sorry if my blah blah offended. I didn't mean it to.

Cc

I don't know how relevant is the following to this thread but from a historical point of view, I found some information provided in this CC link quite interesting
    http://www.auschess.org.au/ccla/nc3.html
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Rookie

ACT Chess Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    As suggested by Howard Duggan the this forum is created for discussion of Australian Chess History. If there are existing threads which should be moved there please notify a moderator or myself via PM with a HTML link to the thread you would like moved.

Otherwise best wishes with the new forum. I hope many will find it worthwhile.
    This is an excellent thread for those like me who have a historical bent. I am trying to find out who were ACT chess champions in the last 30 years. I have many of the champions from 2002 but earlier championship records are harder to find. Years ago Ian Rout had an excellent results website for ACT chess but that now seems to be defunct as Ian moved to Tasmania several years ago. Any help anyone can offer on ACT champions would be most welcome.

CC Rookie

John Wisker

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post

I guess Wisker knew Burns and McCombe well before departing in 1884. A few years ago Paul Dunn had contact with a Wisker Fan Hans Rennet from Europe and one of the sad findings was that after Wisker's death Mrs Wisker and their daughter went back to England and the mother died not long after . There was a plea from a friend who had raised the girl wanting money from Australia to help her with education. I would be interested to know if anyone knew about the daughter. Regards Bob Meadley

Blast from the past

No need to ask who won the game when Ron has made the first move!

More than enough clues to guess who.

DSCN2850.jpg
    Last edited by ER; 03-10-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information