NEW FORUM PROPOSAL - Australian Chess History

I'd very much like to see a separate forum for Australian Chess History. I'm certain many feel the same way. Delving through history is fascinating. We owe it to ourselves to maintain records and anecdotes.

With each passing generation, just a little more of our history fades. The history of the game in this country is secreted in the minds of many, but there is no 'draw-string' that holds it all together.

I regret I didn't find/ make the time to do same regarding Queensland history when on CAQ. I think Ian Murray feels the same way. I have a copy of the Qld Chess Championship centenary booklet compiled by Ian, and I'd be happy to supply extracts dating back to the year dot!

I would hope that the ease of posting on a forum would prompt more than a few spur of the moment offerings from our older participants as well as the more knowledgeable young ones.

With the completion of James Bonning's yet to be published historical offering, I can't think of a better time to fire up the billy!

So please, separate forum that befits the subject matter.

Thanks in advance for the consideration.

Howard
    Last edited by Basil; 10-03-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    I'd very much like to see a separate forum for Australian Chess History. I'm certain many feel the same way. Delving through history is fascinating. We owe it to ourselves to maintain records and anecdotes.

With each passing generation, just a little more of our history fades. The history of the game in this country is secreted in the minds of many, but there is no 'draw-string' that holds it all together.

I know I always intended to do something about the Queensland history when on CAQ. I think Ian Murray feels the same way. I have a copy of the Qld Chess Championship centenary booklet compiled by Ian, and I'd be happy to supply extracts dating back to the year dot!

I would hope that the ease of posting on a forum would prompt more than a few spur of the moment offerings from our older participants as well as the more knowledgeable young ones.

With the completion of James Bonning's yet to be published historical offering, I can't think of a better time to fire up the billy!

Howard
    HISTORY ! What a concept!!.....is it only written by 'winners' , is it open to dispute?, how does de-classifed released information effect it?,is the only thing we learn ,that we dont learn from it? and WHY dont we seem able to learn from it?

Much of the work on Australian chess history that has been done has been done by people who would never be classed as winners or even regular participants. A tremendous amount of work on historical records of Australian chess games and with it a lot of general history is at present being done by Paul Dunn. The games are on Ozbase but the ACF Website link is not up-to-dtae because Paul moved his records to a separate website when the ACF one crashed last year. There are others such as Tony Wright also working in the field. Previously a lot of work was done by John van Manen. As far as I know, none of the current chess historians regularly uses this forum though with all the aliases used, one never knows for sure.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

I regret I didn't find/ make the time to do same regarding Queensland history when on CAQ. I think Ian Murray feels the same way. I have a copy of the Qld Chess Championship centenary booklet compiled by Ian, and I'd be happy to supply extracts dating back to the year dot!

Howard
    oh! you meant oz chess history! sorry, i recommend "The History of the MCC' BY Robert Brooking..............also the gigantic chess library in melbourne called .........? (someone help me remember)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Much of the work on Australian chess history that has been done has been done by people who would never be classed as winners or even regular participants.
    I'm not sure this point was worth addressing. The original point by Axiom could be used as a dead bat to any reference to any recorded 'history', ever

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    A tremendous amount of work on historical records ...
    Thanks for the information, Denis. I was aware of much of it. I have many questions and observations as a result of your post. None of the following is meant to be obtuse. I know you won't take it as such:

1. So ... when do we peasants get to see the fruits of their labour?
    2. Are you suggesting my request for a forum is moot/ surplus to requirements?
    3. Perhaps you missed the subtlety, viz; rank and file contributors here! may have unique information not privy to the historians
    4. Two flatish responses so far; I'd like to see some enthusiasm here ppl!
    Last edited by Basil; 10-03-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I would thought that due to advancement of the game due to computers that history would become redundant??

Well Howard, I being one member of the rank and file will admit that I would like to catch up on some of the history of Aus Chess.
    One of my other interests is harness racing, and I can tell you lots of interesting tidbits about the history of harness racing in Australia. Here is an interesting coincidence, one of the first champions of Australian Trotting was a trotter by the name of Fritz, he dominated at the turn of the 20th century, a long time before Fritz became a dominant factor in chess
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

I'm not sure this point was worth addressing. The original point by Axiom could be used as a dead bat to any reference to any recorded 'history', ever

Thanks for the information, Denis. I was aware of much of it. I have many questions and observations as a result of your post. None of the following is meant to be obtuse. I know you won't take it as such:

1. So ... when do we peasants get to see the fruits of their labour?
    2. Are you suggesting my request for a forum is moot/ surplus to requirements?
    3. Perhaps you missed the subtlety, viz; rank and file contributors here! may have unique information not privy to the historians.
    Hello Howard
    I have no problem at all with your questions.

1. I know Paul Dunn as he lives in Canberra. He is constantly entering lots of games into his data base. With work plus all the rest he does for chess (Treasurer of the ACTCA and Doeberl Cup organiser to start with) I doubt if he gets time to write any books or even articles though he was thinking of doing something on Lajos Steiner and is making a special effort to trace all of Lajos Steiner's Australian games. Also Bill Egan from Canberra has been thinking for some years of writing a history of the Doeberl Cup but he decided to write a book on jazz singer Florence Mills first. He finished that a while ago. I don't know about the others.

2.By no means. All sorts of things might appear that would be of interest to the casual observer and the "serious" workers too.

3.No. I didn't miss that. It is the real strength of your suggestion - see also point 2.

4.Agreed.

Cheers
    DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    Well Howard, I being one member of the rank and file will admit that I would like to catch up on some of the history of Aus Chess.
    Aye!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    Here is an interesting coincidence, one of the first champions of Australian Trotting was a trotter by the name of Fritz, he dominated at the turn of the 20th century, a long time before Fritz became a dominant factor in chess
    $5HCDs! You worked as hard for that segue as I did for my cellar dweller and Svidler on the roof crack! Well done. In fact, have another $5HCDs because your contribution was actually interesting IMO.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Full forum or subforum under Australian Chess?

I have no objection to this.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Full forum or subforum under Australian Chess?
    Sub, under Australian Chess would look excellent on the mantelpiece, thanks.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    OK. Creating forums is an admin task.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

I think this is a great proposal Howard.
    Also, I think the transcription to pgn format of the games played in official tournaments (i.e. National and state championships, as well as teams championships) should be mandatory.
    International Master and Professional Chess Coach.
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/chessclinic

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Sounds good and I hope it encourages those interested in the history of Australian chess to participate in the board.

The forum has been created. As it is under Australian Chess it is for serious discussion. Trolling, hijacking and off topic material will be treated with the contempt they deserve.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information