View Poll Results: Who is playing in 'your' Olympiad team?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rogers

31 88.57%
  • Lane

27 77.14%
  • Johansen

27 77.14%
  • Escribano

4 11.43%
  • Smerdon

20 57.14%
  • Solomon

24 68.57%
  • Zhao

20 57.14%
  • Chapman

8 22.86%
  • Wohl

9 25.71%
  • Wallace

14 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Men's Olympiad - your selection

This poll gives you the chance to select your team for the Olympiad - board order is not required, just the 6 players you want for the team.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    This poll gives you the chance to select your team for the Olympiad - board order is not required, just the 6 players you want for the team.
    is jose in your team bruce

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Pity you wasted a spot on Jose when you did include Speck or Tao on the list of serious possibles.

Another idea would be to assume the GMs make the team and get people to vote on the last 4 spots from a list of 10 serious contenders.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Selection thoughts

I think form in Australia over the last two years is very important. I believe the best performed players should go, this is slightly different to selecting the team that you think will get the most points

As some players have bad Olympiad records and some semi regular players might not have had the best team spirit in the past, hypothetically speaking.

The Australian team selection should be a reward for the amateur/semi- professional Australian player who has put in the hard yards playing tournaments over the last years, not that many of the current contendors (JP Wallace possibly excepted) have any problems with the activity criteria.

My 2 cents worth (2.20 GST included), in order.

Rogers
    Johansen
    Zhao
    Solomon
    Lane
    Smerdon

Team captain: Greg Canfell. (He writes such good reports!)

Haven't been following Wohl's form to closely, but his results seem to be sporadic as usual. Can't think of anyone who has improved in a quantam leap this time, not even sure what that means anyhow.

Notes:

John Paul Wallace would easily qualify at board 3 imho if he was active which I don't think he is.

Like I said track record over the last two years is important, if the Olympiad was played online then Jose Escribano's form can't be discounted, even though one result does not make a summer.

Cheers,
    Feld grau

I like this poll, and I await more responses eagerly.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    I like this poll, and I await more responses eagerly.
    I notice that Matthew is in the building! Wonder if he noticed it was a public poll.

Naturally I won't be voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    ... that would be a blast... you vote and dont include the two GM's just for laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Pity you wasted a spot on Jose when you did include Speck or Tao on the list of serious possibles.

Another idea would be to assume the GMs make the team and get people to vote on the last 4 spots from a list of 10 serious contenders.
    Barry, I had considered doing what you suggested (on both counts) but hey, sometimes things aren't automatic and players can't be guaranteed. Also, I believe no one outside these players can be seriously considered - Speck has not proven his recent form and I doubt Tao would be available to play (if I had 11 slots, the next one would indeed be Tao though).

My votes were:

Rogers
    Johansen
    Lane
    Wohl
    Solomon
    Chapman

I notice that Matthew is in the building! Wonder if he noticed it was a public poll.

That's OK Kevin, I didn't think you would, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldgrau
    Like I said track record over the last two years is important, if the Olympiad was played online then Jose Escribano's form can't be discounted, even though one result does not make a summer.
    Hehehe, indeed!

Btw Feldgrau, how come you didn't use the poll at the top of the page to vote?

Did any of youse blokes see the games of Morozevich from the recent Russian Teams at Sochi? Man, that guy's the devil reincarnate.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Did any of youse blokes see the games of Morozevich from the recent Russian Teams at Sochi? Man, that guy's the devil reincarnate.

AR

post it so we can all see it mate.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Are you trying to tell me the devil is dead?

*sobs*

CC International Master
    poor matt. I think he is sick of sitting by impotently watching, and now wants to particpate in the action.

if we all ask him niceley he will join us . So matt can you please come and partipate and play with us, instead of watching us from the shadows

and we should not ridicule Matt. His heart is in the right place, and he may be vigerous and vociferious in his passion but he means well. Instead of going off to start his own rival Bulletin Board, he still wants to hang around with us. he wants to contribute and has so many ideas, that it is our loss if he is not here.

And dont be upset by what Matt says. he means well and just cannot help himself when he overeacts. Come back matt. Let us forgive and forget

A scorpion was drowning. A turtle saw that from the shore, but did not go to help the scorpion. Why dont you want to help said the drowning Scorpion. Because you will sting me if I help you and I will die said the turtle. But if I did that I will die too said the scorpion. The turtle saw the logic and went to help the scorpion. the scorpion climbed on top of the turtle and the turtle swam with the scoripon to teh shore. then the scorpion stung the turtle with it's poision. Why did you do that said the dying turtle, now you will drown and die with me.

I just cannot help myself, that is just my nature said the scorpion sadly as it died.
    Always do your Best

Looking at the results what I find interesting is that some people dont consider Johansen to be in the top six players.

Thread Information