Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is playing blitz good or bad

i have this old purdy book that said not to play blits but i have seen a few people who do not study chess at all,and by only playing blitz have become very strong players their ratings are between 1900 to high 2000,now this are not juniors ,so do older players learn more from playing than by reading books?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I think playing anything help someone improve. The problem with playing too much blitz is you start to confuse blitz with chess. This could present itself in development of bad chess habits.

However, blitz is an good way to improve for a number of reasons. Mainly the increase speed (and hopefully accuracy) of tactical calculations. Also as you play playing many more games you are exposed to more themes in the same period.

On the downside, you might develop habits of playing slower chess like blitz (launch unsound attacks, etc) or not have studied positions deeply enough to play them properly at a slower speed against good competition.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby1972
    i have this old purdy book that said not to play blits but i have seen a few people who do not study chess at all,and by only playing blitz have become very strong players their ratings are between 1900 to high 2000,now this are not juniors ,so do older players learn more from playing than by reading books?
    I think blitz(lightning) can be very good for improving calculation speed. It certainly did not hurt Fischer(who was a blitz fan). It also seems to have helped Steven Solomon and David Smerdon-they appear to cope well in time trouble. On the other hand I think it's not good before a game . I have a saying that there are two things you shouldn't do before a game, and playing blitz is one of them. I personally don't play a lot of it - one reason is that at the moment I suck at it.

Blitz is definitely good for you - but in moderation. I recall in an issue of NIC mag, Moro (I think it was him) was saying that he preferred not to play more than about fifteen 3-min games in any one sitting. More than 15 and it's doing more harm than good. Blitz is also good for trying out new openings.

AR

Its all chess. It aint as pretty as the real thing, but it helps.
    I think of it like a great painter. A great painter can not spend the whole time on big works of art, he quickly sketches what he sees before he become the great artist that he is.
    Practise in all sorts of positions under pressure is good for the skills and nerves.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    I think playing anything help someone improve. The problem with playing too much blitz is you start to confuse blitz with chess. This could present itself in development of bad chess habits.

However, blitz is an good way to improve for a number of reasons. Mainly the increase speed (and hopefully accuracy) of tactical calculations. Also as you play playing many more games you are exposed to more themes in the same period.

On the downside, you might develop habits of playing slower chess like blitz (launch unsound attacks, etc) or not have studied positions deeply enough to play them properly at a slower speed against good competition.
    I agree with the above comments including those of bad habits, but it is a matter of the individual adjusting his/her thinking to fit the time control - effort is related to reward.

A WA junior aged 13 plays heaps of blitz due to living over 4 hours from Perth and has improved a lot in the past few months - at the SW open his only losses were to 2000+ players (he beat a 1790), then at a Perth tourney he drew with 2 players >1900 and another >2000!

We do not have a large proportion of keen improving juniors in WA to deter senior players from playing and losing rating points to them (ACT/Qld may be different!).

Basically, if you are both keen and determined enough to improve and have the ability to learn from your mistakes (and concentrate on the weakest part of your game) then you should become a better player.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Blitz is good for improving calculation speed and also with helping you to play really fast when necessary. I've observed that players who play no blitz at all are prone to spend far too much time seeing obvious moves when in serious time trouble.

Blitz can be bad for juniors if they become addicted and start playing all their games at blitz speed.

Like Gareth, I'm a firm believer in never playing blitz before a tournament game. I actually find blitz quite physically draining. I can only play blitz at peak strength for about (say) 8 games on a typical night, which is why I very rarely win blitz tournaments. In one case I agreed to play a warm-up game against a player I had never played before. It was one of those epic blitz games that feels like it's gone for half an hour. I won, with extreme difficulty ... and then had to play the same guy in the first round, and spent most of the game floundering around in a pathetically lost position before he blundered and I escaped and won.

I don't think bullet (1 min) is any use for anything except lining the pockets of wrist surgeons.

Blitz I believe, is a very good way of improving to a certain point, you get a lot of exposure to different openings, improving your tactics and thinking fast. After that point is reached, playing blitz will no longer help on its own and you'd have to combine it with study.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I don't think bullet (1 min) is any use for anything except lining the pockets of wrist surgeons.
    Hehe, it certainly doesn't go far in helping your chess but it is lots of fun. A friend of mine is actual suffering bad RSI right now (possibly from too many 1 0 games and playing for hours and hours on end..)
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC Grandmaster
    Bruce. Do you mean a player from SA who could have won a lot of money a while back? If it is who I think it is that is a rather extreme case.

Scott

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Comparing tournament chess to blitz is like comparing sex with masterbation. One you only do when nobody any good will play with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Comparing tournament chess to blitz is like comparing sex with masterbation. One you only do when nobody any good will play with you.

Its easier to get a random game of blitz against someone good (even a IM or GM) , as a full rated game against the same person. For me chess and sex will never belong in the same sentence.

anyway continued success with your 5 minute pass times...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    Bruce. Do you mean a player from SA who could have won a lot of money a while back? If it is who I think it is that is a rather extreme case.

Scott
    Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver

Scott
    Yes, my mate Kevin. It's pretty bad though, he can hardly do anything with his hands, like writing or using a computer or even playing chess OTB..
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Can you play too much blitz?

Over the last 2 weeks I have spent a fair aount of time playing internet blitz (actually way too much to tell the truth). Normally I am a theory man. Anyway my Internet rating is a little cleaner; can someone tell me how it is possible that yesterday I had my worst performace in out chess clubs monthy blitz tournament in about 2 years?? Gaining just over 50%
    Is it possible to overload on internet blitz? Making you OTB worse for wear? Just wondering what you all thought?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    Over the last 2 weeks I have spent a fair aount of time playing internet blitz (actually way too much to tell the truth). Normally I am a theory man. Anyway my Internet rating is a little cleaner; can someone tell me how it is possible that yesterday I had my worst performace in out chess clubs monthy blitz tournament in about 2 years?? Gaining just over 50%
    Is it possible to overload on internet blitz? Making you OTB worse for wear? Just wondering what you all thought?
    Could be brain fade from too much chess. Another theory could be the pattern recognition involved in playing chess on the computer screen is different to that of OTB play. Therefore if the pattern recognition is not there you won't see the tactics or have the ideas come to you are freely as you do when playing on the 'net.

I don't think anyone could provide a definitive answer but perhaps these theories might give you something to think about.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information