CC Candidate Master

My Game in the City of Sydney Champs

Here is my latest tournament victory, I'm especially proud of it because I am unrated and I beat a 1500 player! I am quite happy with the tournament so far, with the exception of the 1 point bye in round 1 (my score now is 2/2).

Thai Pham (Unrated) - Norman Greenwood (1523)

PGN Viewer

More games to follow.
    Last edited by Zwischenzug; 24-02-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Congratulations Thai. Good win.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Congratulations Thai. Good win.
    Thanks Howard. I was lucky that black didn't realize that he should have aimed at my weak d pawn (e.g. doubling rooks on the d file), if he did the game would have been vastly different. He chose to keep my bishop trapped over trying to regain pawns and entering my position.
    Last edited by Zwischenzug; 24-02-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Sure, Everything's relative. I wasn't referring to the merits of the game though. I was referring to your recent concerted efforts to improve your game and your pride in achieving a victory.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    yeah nice win. The good thing is that it won't be processed until next ratings period so your rating will stay low until the next period.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC Candidate Master
    Here are two more of my tournament games, unfortunately I lost both of them (the first one because I played recklessly and the second one because of I hung pawns in the middle game):

Herman Rachmadi (1656) - Thai Pham (Unrated)

PGN Viewer

Thai Pham (Unrated) - Mary Wilkie (1281)

PGN Viewer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwischenzug
    Here are two more of my tournament games, unfortunately I lost both of them (the first one because I played recklessly and the second one because of I hung pawns in the middle game):
    In the second one it wasn't pawns that were your problem but pieces. On move 35 even allowing for black taking your rook you still have two pieces for three pawns. But 36.Kg3? is a mistake because after black takes the rook you are then exposed to a rook check recovering a piece. Even so, allowing black to recover that piece directly would have limited the damage.

A shame you were three pawns down in the ending with bishop and knight on each side. If you are only one or two pawns down in those, you can sometimes draw them by swapping off as many pawns as possible then giving up bishop and knight for the opponent's remaining pawns, leaving the opponent with KBN vs K which most players below 2000 will not win (see swindle thread, been there, done that.)

Well done on the win, that was a tough close game. Your 33.Bxh6 is actually a good example of what is being talked about in the "Learn the lesson once" thread - Norm should have accepted the bishop sacrifice rather than go two pawns down with ...g5? In fact 33...Bxh6 34.g5? Kg8! then White can't recover the bishop since 35.gxh6 Rf4! wins queen for rook, as does 35.Qxh6 Rh7.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    Here are two more games, the first one I should have lost if my opponent didn't blunder also, the second one my king walked into checkmate:

Phil Willis (1323) - Thai Pham Unrated
    I'm black.

PGN Viewer

Thai Pham Unrated - Michael J Tracey (1486)
    I'm white.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Zwischenzug; 03-03-2007 at 09:50 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Here is my last game, which I lost unfortunately. I played for initiative but the game got too sharp and wound up giving up a rook for a bishop and a pawn.

Terence Wall (1488) - Thai Pham Unrated

PGN Viewer

CC Grandmaster
    I am sure there are better games to come soon.
    Keep up the good work!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information