Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar

NSW Masters/CJS Purdy Memorial

John Purdy, an Australian Champion in his own right, kicked off this tournament last night with a speech about his father, CJS Purdy, the great writer, player, and original World Correspendence Champion, and reminded the new generation that no less than Alekhine and Fischer were amongst Cecil's fans as a writer.

Gareth Charles, as a recent and welcome addition to this BB, I nominate you to write a personal diary of the play, if it is not otherwise covered online.

CC Rookie

Thumbs up

Canfell,G - Feldman,V
    Round 1

PGN Viewer

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Canfell
    John Purdy, an Australian Champion in his own right, kicked off this tournament last night with a speech about his father, CJS Purdy, the great writer, player, and original World Correspendence Champion, and reminded the new generation that no less than Alekhine and Fischer were amongst Cecil's fans as a writer.

Gareth Charles, as a recent and welcome addition to this BB, I nominate you to write a personal diary of the play, if it is not otherwise covered online.
    I see. Well, you've already done the Vic masters Greg, so I suppose it's my turn.

I had a depressing loss against Tim Reilly, mucked things up in the opening against his pirc and mucked them up again later going into time trouble, Andrew Bird got a position which looked crushing for him but his opponent Ralph Seberry managed to find a way out somehow, Rob Goris obtained good knight vs bad bishop and inflicted some hideous pawns to clean up Charles Ghenzer, and we already saw Greg's swashbuckling victory over Vlad. I don't know whether we can get hold of the other 3 games-well I for one am certainly not posting my game against Tim , I can't stop him posting it here if he wants to however.

Scores NSW masters: Reilly, Seberry, Canfell, Goris 1

Ghenzer, Feldman, Charles, Bird 0

As for the Purdy Memorial, I am sadly unqualified to comment as I didn't follow the results enough. I noticed that Vincent Suttor and Alex Mendes da Costa had a draw, but that's about it...Ilia Ilic looked like he was in a bit of a mess in his game but since he had two knights he was probably pretty confident-dunno what the result was
    Last edited by Lucena; 03-05-2004 at 01:27 PM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphSeberry
    Canfell,G - Feldman,V
    Round 1

PGN Viewer

That's a second time that variation's claimed an IM scalp I think-Sorokina got Froehlich with it in the last round of the Begonia Open. Oh, actually it was a slightly different variation

Well done to Ralph for organising this tourn. The low turn-out was more to the last-minute publicity than anything else. I definitely think that a tourn at this level, in this format, is a welcome addition to Sydney chess. It'll be bigger next year.

A bit of a funny start with what seemed like a desperate search for players. A coupla Tamaraws didn't bloody turn up. Speech by Mr Purdy had to be delivered in the lobby in order to avoid disturbing bridge players. And Jason Lyons was professional as always with a careful explanation of the RR system.

AR

CC International Master
    I was amused to see one (nameless) player turn up to play and then complain about the time control[90min, 30s extra increments from start] not being suitable(a la Sweeney?). I would've thought if you felt that strongly about the time control you just wouldn't play in the thing. I for my part slightly dislike 60 and 10, but I don't whinge about it-if that's the time control the tournament is advertised as being held under, you like it or lump it.
    Last edited by Lucena; 04-05-2004 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    I was amused to see one (nameless) player turn up to play and then complain about the time control[40/90, 30s extra increments from start] not being suitable(a la Sweeney?). I would've thought if you felt that strongly about the time control you just wouldn't play in the thing. I for my part slightly dislike 60 and 10, but I don't whinge about it-if that's the time control the tournament is advertised as being held under, you like it or lump it.
    Note its not 40/90 + 30secs/move from start but G90 + 30sec/move from the start.

So was this nameless person suggesting the time limit was too short?
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 04-05-2004 at 05:40 PM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Note its not 40/90 + 30secs/move from start but G90 + 30sec/move from the start.
    Yes I meant to type 90 don't know why I typed 40/90 originally-I did actually know what the time control was just careless I suppose

CC International Master
    I'll be playing Rob Goris tonight so I'll see if I can get him to post his game here.

Paddington, in between Sydney city and Bondi Beach
    The small turnout for this event is unfortunate. A lack of advertising and a reluctance by many to try different formats seem to be the primary reasons. I was skeptical of the event, but I've been converted by the standard of entries, the efforts Ralph has made, and the format.

Rounds are on most Sunday evenings at the NSW Bridge Centre, Level 1, 162 Goulburn St, Sydney, at 6:30pm. Spectators welcome - many of Sydney's strongest players are competing, as you will note from the field:

-------------------------------------------

Division 1 [NSW Masters]

Andrew Bird 0 Ralph Seberry 1
    Greg Canfell 1 Vladimir Feldman 0
    Robert Goris 1 Charles Ghenzer 0
    Gareth Charles 0 Tim Reilly 1

Division 2 [Purdy Memorial]

Ilya Ilic 1/2 Ben Lee 1/2
    Michael Walsh 1 Joel Harp 0
    Vince Suttor 1/2 Alex Mendes da Costa 1/2
    Michael Dunn 0 Pat Halpin 1

Division 3

Eddie Lau 0 Tom Tomas 1
    Herman Rachmadi 0 Danny Bisson 1
    Horst Bleicher 0 Paul Glisson 1
    Amiel Rosario 0 Norm Greenwood 1

Division 4

Steve Steinitz 1 Socheat Soth 0
    Michael Tracey 0 James Liebert 1

---------------------------------------------

The top two divisions are FIDE rated.
    Note that Division 4 has only half a field - we are looking for a few lower rated players to play in this event. Based on the excellent spirit of round one, I highly recommend participation.

Quote Originally Posted by jase
    The small turnout for this event is unfortunate. A lack of advertising and a reluctance by many to try different formats seem to be the primary reasons. I was skeptical of the event, but I've been converted by the standard of entries, the efforts Ralph has made, and the format.

Rounds are on most Sunday evenings at the NSW Bridge Centre, Level 1, 162 Goulburn St, Sydney, at 6:30pm. Spectators welcome - many of Sydney's strongest players are competing, as you will note from the field:

-------------------------------------------

Division 1 [NSW Masters]

Andrew Bird 0 Ralph Seberry 1
    Greg Canfell 1 Vladimir Feldman 0
    Robert Goris 1 Charles Ghenzer 0
    Gareth Charles 0 Tim Reilly 1

Division 2 [Purdy Memorial]

Ilya Ilic 1/2 Ben Lee 1/2
    Michael Walsh 1 Joel Harp 0
    Vince Suttor 1/2 Alex Mendes da Costa 1/2
    Michael Dunn 0 Pat Halpin 1

Division 3

Eddie Lau 0 Tom Tomas 1
    Herman Rachmadi 0 Danny Bisson 1
    Horst Bleicher 0 Paul Glisson 1
    Amiel Rosario 0 Norm Greenwood 1

Division 4

Steve Steinitz 1 Socheat Soth 0
    Michael Tracey 0 James Liebert 1

---------------------------------------------

The top two divisions are FIDE rated.
    Note that Division 4 has only half a field - we are looking for a few lower rated players to play in this event. Based on the excellent spirit of round one, I highly recommend participation.
    I put a fair amount of effort in getting the NSWCA Council to approve Ralph's plans for this tournament and it was always intended that the divisions would be based on the players being divided into groups based on rating order.
    Therefore why is Halpin in Div 2 when he is the same rating as Goris and ourateds Ghenzer, Charles and Bird. Surely Bird as the lowest rated should have been in Div 2.

Also the NSWCA Council only authorised the FIDE rating of the NSW Masters and no other divisions. This is quite clear from the advert on the NSWCA web site.

I put a fair amount of effort in getting the NSWCA Council to approve Ralph's plans for this tournament and it was always intended that the divisions would be based on the players being divided into groups based on rating order.
    Therefore why is Halpin in Div 2 when he is the same rating as Goris and ourateds Ghenzer, Charles and Bird. Surely Bird as the lowest rated should have been in Div 2.

Also the NSWCA Council only authorised the FIDE rating of the NSW Masters and no other divisions. This is quite clear from the advert on the NSWCA web site.
    Halpin is in the second division because he hasn'ty played over the board for about a decade. His 2265-ish FIDE is unlikely to reflect his playing strength. I see Pat a lot at Peter Parr's shop, where he plays blitz on the Chessbase server. He is playing at about 1900 there.

Pat was unwilling to play the top division. We could have insisted on that or nothing, based on his rating, however it was my view that he won't outclass the Division 2 field, that is was in everyone's interests to bring people like Pat back to the board, and so he was allowed to enter Division 2.

Given the high number of FIDE rated players who have entered the event, I think that Ralph might have used his own initiative to offer to FIDE rate the 2nd Division. I think it's worth spending the extra $100. Given that the advert to which you refer was only placed on the website by the recalcitrant webmaster shortly before the commencement of the event, I don't think the conditions of the event were remotely known by anyone who Ralph had not telephoned.

Halpin is in the second division because he hasn'ty played over the board for about a decade. His 2265-ish FIDE is unlikely to reflect his playing strength. I see Pat a lot at Peter Parr's shop, where he plays blitz on the Chessbase server. He is playing at about 1900 there.
    Actually halpin last played an ACF rated tournament back in the April 2002 rating period. His previous tournament to that was in the December 2001 period. As you say his FIDE rating is probably inaccurate.

Pat was unwilling to play the top division. We could have insisted on that or nothing, based on his rating, however it was my view that he won't outclass the Division 2 field, that is was in everyone's interests to bring people like Pat back to the board, and so he was allowed to enter Division 2.
    I guess we will see if that he wont outclass the div 2 field over the course of the event.

Given the high number of FIDE rated players who have entered the event, I think that Ralph might have used his own initiative to offer to FIDE rate the 2nd Division. I think it's worth spending the extra $100.
    Although I agree the extra $100 is neither really here or there the DOP/organiser is not authorised to change the tournament conditions.
    In fact at its April meeting the NSWCA Council re-iterated that under no circumstances are the DOP's or any subset of council members(unless their decision represents an absolutely majotiry on council) can vary the conditions of a tournament. This covers all aspects including increasing prize money. If there is a greater number of players than was esimated then the Council will increase the prize fund. Where the tournament conditions state that the prize fund is dependant on X entries the the Treasuer will reduce the prize fund by an amount to ensure the tournament does not run at a loss.

Given that the advert to which you refer was only placed on the website by the recalcitrant webmaster shortly before the commencement of the event, I don't think the conditions of the event were remotely known by anyone who Ralph had not telephoned.
    That may well be true in which case they should not have been expecting it to be FIDE rated as that is the exception rather than the rule.
    As for the webmaster the finalised adverts were only sent to the him on the 19th April.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 05-05-2004 at 11:14 AM.

CC International Master

Given that the advert to which you refer was only placed on the website by the recalcitrant webmaster shortly before the commencement of the event, I don't think the conditions of the event were remotely known by anyone who Ralph had not telephoned.
    hehe well now there's a whole extra behind-the-scenes story... actually having stayed in the same room as Mal at the Doeberl and heard about the concerns of him and other country players I can't say I really blame him. Nevertheless I'm glad personally to have the opportunity to play in this tournament

PS btw I'm referring to the clash between this tournament and some country tournaments. If anyone feels this is worth further discussion I suspect it may need a new thread
    Last edited by Lucena; 05-05-2004 at 10:42 AM.

Actually halpin last played an ACF rated tournament back in the April 2004 rating period. His previous tournament to that was in the December 2001 period. As you say his FIDE rating is probably inaccurate.
    Can you advise what his performance, or his rating change, was, for either of these events? I was not aware that Pat had played any tournaments in recent years.

Although I agree the extra $100 is neither really here or there the DOP/organiser is not authorised to change the tournament conditions. In fact at its April meeting the NSWCA Council re-iterated that under no circumstances are the DOP's or any subset of council members(unless their decision represents an absolutely majotiry on council) can vary the conditions of a tournament.
    I can appreciate Council's desire for agreed tournament conditions to be adhered to. I was not aware of some of the finer points of the tournament conditions, having only been confirmed as the arbiter late last week.

This covers all aspects including increasing prize money. If there is a greater number of players than was esimated then the Council will increase the prize fund. Where the tournament conditions state that the prize fund is dependant on X entries the the Treasuer will reduce the prize fund by an amount to ensure the tournament does not run at a loss.
    As per my email correspondence with the NSWCA, it is my strongly held view that we should be prepared to run events at a loss in striving to increase playing numbers, particularly at the adult level. I do not advocate that all tournaments should be budgeted to make a loss, however I do argue that events should be budgeted and marketed to attract greater player numbers than current practice is achieving.

As for the webmaster the finalised adverts were only sent to the him on the 19th April.
    As per Charles' comments, it is well established that the webmaster was refusing to advertise the event long before April 19. His concerns are valid. His actions are not. We will endeavour to be very accommodating, during the course of this event, toward players who wish to compete in chess events that clash with our schedule. It is not to anyone's benefit for this tournament to detract from playing numbers in country tournaments. If there are flyers to promote these tournaments, they ought to be distributed among players and spectators at the Bridge Centre.

Thread Information