Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilD707
    No attempt to be devious (in case anyone thought otherwise)

I just forgot my login.
    No doubt like you forgot how to import players into Swiss Perfect events.

BTW are you going to submit the Robert Isted Memorial events for rating. If so can you send them ASAP to the TCA Ratings Officer.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    No doubt like you forgot how to import players into Swiss Perfect events.

BTW are you going to submit the Robert Isted Memorial events for rating. If so can you send them ASAP to the TCA Ratings Officer.

The results of the Robert Isted went in some time ago. I haven't heard anything from Nigel Frame so have presumed he's carrying on with it?

It's been some time since I imported players to an event and even then I have only done it on a few (two?) occasions. I was only ratings officer for a brief period in time. I have now passed on the ratings officer guidelines that I inherited to to Nigel. At short notice I was unable to find clear instructions on how to go about doing it again. I tried Brian Jones site and originally but could not find the tutorial that was supposed to be there. I tried again today and the entire page relating to the tutorial was blank?

I tried the ACF ratings page today and could see no obvious link to instructions. Within the download of ACFMAST.trn and ACFRAPID.trn I fould a very brief textfile named "Import readme.txt". The instructions in this textfile do not inform the reader how to import players into a Swiss Perfect file.

I would strongly suggest that as part of your responsibilty in your position as ratings officer that it is incumbent upon you to ensure that clear and adequate instruction on all rating matters is made available to the State Ratings Officers and that they in turn do the same with their Tournament Directors.
    Currently this is not happening.

Lastly by pure coincidence, sensitive to the fact that it is a pain for other people to have to re-enter a tournament, I have been working up some documentation on the process myself today. I've done this for my own benefit but will probably post it in html on the web in due course in case anyone else happens to forget how to import players in to one of their tournaments.

Phil.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I tried Brian Jones site and originally but could not find the tutorial that was supposed to be there. I tried again today and the entire page relating to the tutorial was blank?
    I just looked and found the Word document download link easily from http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/gra...n&a=organisers

and also found the tutorial at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/med...ix_ratings.swf

working fine too.

The tutorial is an extremely useful feature of Brian's site. He directed me to it when I first submitted a manually entered SP file and I have found it very handy. Indeed having done it once I did not need to look it up again for subsequent uses.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I just looked and found the Word document download link easily from http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/gra...n&a=organisers

and also found the tutorial at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/med...ix_ratings.swf

working fine too.

The tutorial is an extremely useful feature of Brian's site. He directed me to it when I first submitted a manually entered SP file and I have found it very handy. Indeed having done it once I did not need to look it up again for subsequent uses.
    Agreed.
    I have just looked at it too and it seems to be a happening thing.
    I came at it before from behind a Govt. proxy firewall and it didn't work.
    Maybe some scripting was being blocked.
    If so the web site owner should be made aware of it.
    Other things to consider does it work on older browsers? What if the browser is blocking popups? etc.
    Phil.

The results of the Robert Isted went in some time ago.
    I wouldnt call less than a week sometime ago.
    I haven't heard anything from Nigel Frame so have presumed he's carrying on with it?
    They arrived in the last few hours
    It's been some time since I imported players to an event and even then I have only done it on a few (two?) occasions. I was only ratings officer for a brief period in time. I have now passed on the ratings officer guidelines that I inherited to to Nigel. At short notice I was unable to find clear instructions on how to go about doing it again.
    It isnt that difficult. I'm surprised you couldnt remember.

Then again on second thoughts I probably shouldnt be.
    I tried Brian Jones site and originally but could not find the tutorial that was supposed to be there. I tried again today and the entire page relating to the tutorial was blank?
    Must be a problem at your end as it works fine for me and that includes even from behind a secure firewall.
    I tried the ACF ratings page today and could see no obvious link to instructions. Within the download of ACFMAST.trn and ACFRAPID.trn I fould a very brief textfile named "Import readme.txt". The instructions in this textfile do not inform the reader how to import players into a Swiss Perfect file.
    SP has builtin help that explains how to import players into tournaments. The "Import readme.txt" file simply explains how to setup the mapping for the ACF trn master file.
    I would strongly suggest that as part of your responsibilty in your position as ratings officer that it is incumbent upon you to ensure that clear and adequate instruction on all rating matters is made available to the State Ratings Officers and that they in turn do the same with their Tournament Directors.
    Currently this is not happening.
    As far as I am aware the State Rating Officers dont have issues importing players into SP.
    If they have issues with any Arbiters/DOP's they havent mentioned it to me.
    Lastly by pure coincidence, sensitive to the fact that it is a pain for other people to have to re-enter a tournament, I have been working up some documentation on the process myself today. I've done this for my own benefit but will probably post it in html on the web in due course in case anyone else happens to forget how to import players in to one of their tournaments.
    Hopefully their memory will be better than yours.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 23-11-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Listen here Bill, your last post above is confrontational. Everybody can see this. Just calm down man. As for me, I'm too effing young to have a bloody hard blood pressure. I'm telling you, sometimes you just provoke people.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Listen here Bill, your last post above is confrontational.
    As far as I'm concerned Phil's post was confrontational.
    Everybody can see this. Just calm down man.
    If I was any calmer, I'd be in deep mediatation.
    As for me, I'm too effing young to have a bloody hard blood pressure. I'm telling you, sometimes you just provoke people.
    The post wasnt directed at you, you decided to buy into this.
    As such if you want to keep your blood pressure low then mind your own business.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 23-11-2006 at 08:12 PM.

The post wasnt directed at you, you decided to buy into this.
    As such if you want to keep your blood pressure low then mind your own business.
    Mate, tell that to Kevo everytime he tells fg7 off when that poor Mexican says he doesn't wanna talk to your mate.

I'm tell you cos it's for your own good. Consider it upward feedback mate.

AR

Mate, tell that to Kevo everytime he tells fg7 off when that poor Mexican says he doesn't wanna talk to your mate.
    The situations are different as I simply told you to mind your own business for the sake of your blood prerssure.
    I'm tell you cos it's for your own good. Consider it upward feedback mate.

I wouldnt call less than a week sometime ago.
    They arrived in the last few hoursIt isnt that difficult. I'm surprised you couldnt remember.

Then again on second thoughts I probably shouldnt be.
    Must be a problem at your end as it works fine for me and that includes even from behind a secure firewall.
    SP has builtin help that explains how to import players into tournaments. The "Import readme.txt" file simply explains how to setup the mapping for the ACF trn master file.
    As far as I am aware the State Rating Officers dont have issues importing players into SP.
    If they have issues with any Arbiters/DOP's they havent mentioned it to me.
    Hopefully their memory will be better than yours.
    Bill,
    I'm going to ignore this incredible post.
    Please delete it mate, go to bed, have a good night's sleep and come back tomorrrow with something more sane before too many people get to see this one.

Come back tomorrow and give me proper answer to the question
    Why are you, as ACF ratings officer, not providing adequate documentation to facilitate the the import of tournament results into the ACF ratings system?
    Sleep on it.

Phil.
    PS Sorry my memory's not what it used to be.
    I'm trying to work within my limitations.

Phil,

Further to the Robert Isred events, I received the Trophy and the Reserves for rating.

Now I am aware that the crosstables for those include the results of the games played in the preliminaries.

However what about the results of games in the preliminaries between players that did not meet in the Trophy or the Reserves.

e.g. your results in the preliminaries against the 4 players that ended up in the Reserves.

They do not appear at all.

Bill,
    I'm going to ignore this incredible post.
    Your post got the response it deserved.
    Please delete it mate, go to bed, have a good night's sleep and come back tomorrrow with something more sane before too many people get to see this one.

Come back tomorrow and give me proper answer to the question
    Why are you, as ACF ratings officer, not providing adequate documentation to facilitate the the import of tournament results into the ACF ratings system?
    The only person seemingly having a problem is you.
    I suggest you lift your game.
    Sleep on it.
    Follow that advice yourself and perhaps you will get a clue.
    PS Sorry my memory's not what it used to be.
    I'm trying to work within my limitations.
    You need to work harder.

Phil,

Further to the Robert Isred events, I received the Trophy and the Reserves for rating.

Now I am aware that the crosstables for those include the results of the games played in the preliminaries.

However what about the results of games in the preliminaries between players that did not meet in the Trophy or the Reserves.

e.g. your results in the preliminaries against the 4 players that ended up in the Reserves.

They do not appear at all.
    Bill,
    You should have had the results for games played in the preliminaries also.
    I've no idea why the ratings officer did not forward them?
    The Burnie Chess Club came up with an innovative way to run an event which involved a lot of entrants in a limited time.
    I realise it was tricky/unusual for the Nigel but I did give a detailed explanation of the event to him with all the results that he needed in an Excel spreadsheet.
    I made it very clear what games were up for rating.
    As I said before I have had no communication back from Nigel so have had no reason to believe that he was on top of it.
    Phil.

Bill,
    You should have had the results for games played in the preliminaries also.
    I've no idea why the ratings officer did not forward them?
    The Burnie Chess Club came up with an innovative way to run an event which involved a lot of entrants in a limited time.
    I realise it was tricky/unusual for the Nigel but I did give a detailed explanation of the event to him with all the results that he needed in an Excel spreadsheet.
    Why didnt you submit it properly as 4 sets of SP files.
    I made it very clear what games were up for rating.
    I've seen your email and I wouldnt describe it that way.
    As I said before I have had no communication back from Nigel so have had no reason to believe that he was on top of it.
    Phil.
    Then I suggest if you want the full event rated you take it up with Nigel and get it sorted out ASAP.

P.S. What was the date of the final rounds of the 4 preliminaries and the Trophy/Reserves.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 23-11-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Why didnt you submit it properly as 4 sets of SP files.
    I've seen your email and I wouldnt describe it that way.
    Then I suggest if you want the full event rated you take it up with Nigel and get it sorted out ASAP.

P.S. What was the date of the final rounds of the 4 preliminaries and the Trophy/Reserves.

Bill,
    I have to say I am totally gobsmacked by your response on this.
    The Burnie Chess Club has been submitting events in Excel spreadsheet format for rating since 2000. That is to say, since I have been the Tournament Director.
    The Tas. ratings Officer has always accepted these events in this format and they have always been duly rated and we have always paid the ratings fee.
    I believe that the BCC has paid the ratings fee for the Robert Isted already.
    Your post to me on a public bulletin board is the first indication to me that the national ratings Officer feels the BCC is not in fact submitting its tournament results "properly".

I had no prior knowledge of this and I repeat that I have had no communication whatsoever from the Tas. ratings officer.

While I appreciate that you feel animosity towards me I would ask you not to penalise the BCC in an effort to settle a score with me.

Have you communicated with your Tas Ratings Officer?
    If so what does he have to say?

Ultimately I would strongly suggest that the ChessChat forum is the very last place where we should be discussing particular Tas. state ratings admin issues.

Please talk to your state ratings officer and tell him what your concerns are.
    He is empowered to ask the clubs in his state to respond to these concerns.
    I am positive that the BCC will do its utmost to facilitate the ratings process and do what we can to support Nigel in his role as State Ratings Officer.

Phil.

Thread Information