Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Burnie Chess Club news

[was "Burnie International Club news"]

In the Club Championship now under way, members were amazed when young Nina Horton (12 years old) scored her first win over a seasoned Club veteran and in decisive fashion to boot.
    The game on the Burnie site is worthy of note in its own right but is further enhanced by Nina's feminine notes.
    eg "Stop checking me!"

Phil.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 09-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.

The following is in response to post http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=10.
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    That's pretty funny coming from the author of some of the wackiest tournament conditions Australia has seen..
    Exactly.
    In fact even now Phil runs events where they use Fischer time controls of 90 mins + 30sec but still allow games to be adjourned after 3 hours of play.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 12-03-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: due to thread split
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Exactly.
    In fact even now Phil runs events where they use Fischer time controls of 90 mins + 30sec but still allow games to be adjourned after 3 hours of play.
    What????

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    What????
    The following is from the Burnie chess club web site:
    The format this year is a single round robin with a 90/30 Fischer time limit.
    Play starts at 7pm sharp and games unfinished at 10pm will be adjourned.
    The above refers to the 2007 Burnie Club Championship of which the arbiter is Phil.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Grandmaster
    The above refers to the 2007 Burnie Club Championship of which the arbiter is Phil.
    That's extraordinary. The primary point of Fischer controls is to avoid adjournments - if a three hour session is so important why not 90 minutes flagfall? In this case he doesn't even have the justification of keeping a subsequent round on schedule, so I'm mystified as to the rationale for an adjournment.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    That's extraordinary. The primary point of Fischer controls is to avoid adjournments - if a three hour session is so important why not 90 minutes flagfall? In this case he doesn't even have the justification of keeping a subsequent round on schedule, so I'm mystified as to the rationale for an adjournment.
    I think its clear from the Increments vs Guillotine thread that he doesnt like guillotine.

Why not use 80 mins + 5 secs per move if you must finish after 3 hours but dont want to use guillotine?

My what?? was disbelief at the logic of adjourning with a 90 + 30 time control

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Why not use 80 mins + 5 secs per move if you must finish after 3 hours but dont want to use guillotine?
    Because that doesn't give as much thinking time in the endgame as letting games go over 3 hours but spreading that over multiple weeks.

I see where they're coming from in terms of trying to:

* ensure quality games right the way through
    * ensure the session finishes not too far after their numerous juniors' normal bedtime

However these two objectives don't sit very well with each other, and adjournments are widely discredited because people can just go home and study the position on a computer. May as well play correspondence chess instead.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

I have just found these above thoughts by some of chess chats leading lights.
    (I am sure some of them were somewhere else yesterday but they mysteriously dissappeared only to turn up on this thread today.)

I see that Bonham has generously answered your questions on my behalf and I thank him for saving me the trouble of doing so.
    Of course his answer is different to the one I would have given but that's hardly important. The main thing is that you have heard from the VP of the ACF and the self-proclaimed expert on Australian chess.

If I could be so bold as to add one other comment.
    I cannot remember any Burnie Club member complaining about tournament conditions of events that I have run at the Club over the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilD707
    I have just found these above thoughts by some of chess chats leading lights.
    (I am sure some of them were somewhere else yesterday but they mysteriously dissappeared only to turn up on this thread today.)

I see that Bonham has generously answered your questions on my behalf and I thank him for saving me the trouble of doing so.
    Of course his answer is different to the one I would have given but that's hardly important. The main thing is that you have heard from the VP of the ACF and the self-proclaimed expert on Australian chess.

If I could be so bold as to add one other comment.
    I cannot remember any Burnie Club member complaining about tournament conditions of events that I have run at the Club over the past 3 years.
    That may be but the concept of adjourning games played at Fischer time limits is eccentric to put it in the kindest way.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    That may be but the concept of adjourning games played at Fischer time limits is eccentric to put it in the kindest way.

DJ
    Thank you for your kindness Dennis.
    I do appreciate such small mercies from folks in lofty positions such as your self.

Just to clarify and do correct me if I am wrong; you are the President of the ACF?

The next Australian Championships is due in 9 months and there is no actual event organised as yet?
    There is no ACF newsletter?
    The web site has still not been rebuilt?

It just goes to show how little I know.
    I would have thought, in my naivety, that you had more important things to do than worry about the eccentricity of a small Club organiser and of course that other hot topic, pink chess sets!

What was that expression about Nero and Rome?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilD707
    Just to clarify and do correct me if I am wrong; you are the President of the ACF?
    Bzzzzt. Don't worry Phil, you're only over two months out of date!
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Not only is the boy hopelessly out of date but he clearly doesn't even read this board carefully as everything he mentions has already been covered here in one thread or another.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham

Sorry.
    I looked on the ACF web site.
    It says there that Mister Jessop is the President.

I was silly to rely on such an untrustworthy site

Can anyone reccomend an alternative, more reliable, site for information on the Australian Chess Federation?

I have tried the British, German and USCF sites so far and found them both wanting in that regard.

Thread Information