Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Learn The Lesson ONCE!!!

Both life and chess are filled with educational opportunities. How many times have we learned something and felt stronger for it ... only to make the same mistake AGAIN? (and again and again and again )

Perhaps one of the indicators of successful people in their various pursuits is the ability to ACTUALLY learn from mistakes

I received this from Frosty today:

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    My heart bleeds for you Howard ... a rather depressing result after you got into such a good position in the game. However we must be strict here, and I have decided on your punishment! I hereby sentence you to 2 weeks study of the games of Tigran Petrosian, because you did not extinguish all possibility of counterplay before launching your attack.
    And so I dedicate this thread to chess lessons once learned, that should stick!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

1. Extinguish all possibility of counterplay before launching your attack.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Of course, you DO realise that for each lesson there is an equal and opposite lesson? "Look before you leap" is counter-balanced by "He who hesitates is lost".

Perhaps Lesson #0 should be: "Learn, above all, which lessons to apply in any particular situation".
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    2. Don't waste time remembering aphorisms.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I don't know if that's intended as witty, or as a genuine belief. So in blissful ignorance, I will respond to it.

I think guidelines such as the ones I hope to see listed here are useful guides. Certainly they may be of interest for players of an even lower rating than me.

The art of when to break the rules comes later in a player's development. These building blocks of ideas and concepts probably serve more good than harm - I'm not sure if that applies to your offering in this thread.

For those wondering about my dalliances with off topic incursions into threads, I draw the line at directly counter-productive statements.
    Last edited by Basil; 10-02-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    I'm wondering what to conclude, when , knowledge is power, but, ignorance is bliss ?
    Last edited by Axiom; 10-02-2007 at 06:07 PM.

CC International Master
    Mr. Karpov, is that you?

"Funnily enough, he has effectively denied Steinitz's pronouncement: if you have an advantage you must attack, otherwise, you will lose it. When having an edge, Karpov often marked time and still gained the advantage! I don't know anyone else who could do that, it's incredible." - Kramnik, Kramnik Interview: From Steinitz to Kasparov

From the aus juniors annotated game:

Quote Originally Posted by macavity
    the best way to get a large advantage is to play for a small one.

'Check all checks, check all captures' is the best piece of advice that I can't seem to follow.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I don't know if that's intended as witty, or as a genuine belief. So in blissful ignorance, I will respond to it.
    It was itself formulated as an aphorism, so perhaps that is a clue.

I like the "look at all checks and captures". I think "look at all moves" is even more useful.

Moves can usually be looked at on your opponent's time. However, after the opponent has moved be sure to take into account all new possibilities from their last move. I think not doing this accurately has been the cause of many of my blunders.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the interested reader to come up with a suitibly pithy summary of the previous paragraph. Perhaps "Re-check all analysis carefully on your own time".
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Roger that, Captain. Thanks for the clarification and the contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    ... is the best piece of advice that I can't seem to follow
    Yes, thanks George. This sums up my sentiment I was trying to express at the top of the thread exactly.

1. Learn, above all, which lessons to apply in any particular situation
    2. Extinguish all possibility of counterplay before launching your attack
    3. The best way to get a large advantage is to play for a small one
    4. Check all checks, check all captures
    5. Look at all moves / Look at the whole board
    6. Moves can usually be looked at on your opponent's time
    7. After the opponent has moved be sure to take into account all new possibilities from their last move

CC Candidate Master
    8. If you play a move hoping your opponent won't refute it, he probably will

Every time your opponent moves, s/he leaves something behind (e.g. a newly opened diagonal/file/rank, a weakened piece/pawn/square).
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Thread Information