Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

41st Ballarat Begonia Open March 10 - 12 2007

The pdf entry form is now available at http://www.ballaratchess.com

BumP

I've mailed my entry and payment today

Who else here has or will be entering?

Don't all rush to answer at once!

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Im Looking Forward To A Shocker From The Pit This Year !

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    If anyone from sydney goes i'll go. Else i'll go to Toukley
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Watto,

I saw your (since deleted) post earlier but lately I've only been reading but not posting.

The Ballarat Begonia does indeed have a great atmosphere.

See you there

Quote Originally Posted by Skaro
    Watto,

I saw your (since deleted) post earlier but lately I've only been reading but not posting.

The Ballarat Begonia does indeed have a great atmosphere.

See you there
    See you there Skaro. We’re looking forward to it.
    (I'm afraid I have a habit of deleting my posts… sometimes I genuinely regret something I've written but mostly it's a cheat’s way to control the cc habit! )

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    I'll be heading down on the Saturday morning. Hope to catch up with some BBers there.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Is there a current list of entries available anywhere?

CC Candidate Master
    Are you thinking of playing by any chance, ggrayggray?

Although I am not as close to the organisation of the Ballarat Begonia Tournament as I used to be in the past, I know that there will be no list of entrees. It is not worth the trouble maintaining one, as most players, by tradition, do enter at the last moment.
    By chance, I do know some of the players who will not play in Ballarat: e.g.Dejan Antic, who returns to Australia too late; Ian Rogers, who will be in Europe somewhere, and David Smerdon who plays in the Cappelle la Grande tournament (see http://www.cappelle-chess.com/) at the moment.
    Apart from the usual suspects, no special guests are expecteds to turn up.
    I do know that the number of participants already registered thus far for the Begonia, is on the high side compared to the levels we are used to in the past, with the usual spread of skills, ages and personalities, making for a very interesting and enjoyable tournament.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar

Wink

Thanks Bas,

To the list of those who probably won't be there I would like to add the following former World Champions: Petrosian, Spassky, Alekhine, Capablanca, Fischer, Botvinnik, Tal, Karpov, Smyslov, Kasparov, Lasker & Steinitz.

Of course Euwe might show his face under a different guise, and a moustache... those Dutch people are a crafty lot!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas
    Are you thinking of playing by any chance, ggrayggray?
    Hello Bas,

No, I will not be playing. I might actually play next year (I know everyone says that ).

I was asking as I thought it would be good to promote the tournament on here with a list of current entries and keep updating as entries flood in.

Also I was curious

CC Candidate Master
    is there a list of titiled players playing?

CC Candidate Master
    As far as I know, Guy West and Doug Hamilton have definitely entered. Leonid Sandler is coming to Ballarat, but I am unsure if that will be in his capacity as a coach or as a player (or both). After all, he is the joint-winner of last year's Begonia and perhaps motivated to defend. Good to see Doug Hamilton back in action again in Ballarat. He won the tournament outright in 1981, and again jointly in 1994.
    Usually, others like Darryl Johansen and Mirko Rujevic, often don't register beforehand and just turn up on the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Bas
    Usually, others like Darryl Johansen and Mirko Rujevic, often don't register beforehand and just turn up on the day...
    Here is a little interesting topic. I know there is a thread on here about free entry for title players. So if a mod is able to find it, can they move Baz's quote above and my post to that thread.

I dont want the resulting discussion to detract from this thread on the tournament.

What do people think of title players just turning up on the day and getting free entry?

The reason I ask is I think it is a fair assessment that organisers give free entry to title players to encourage them to play in their tournament. In return, the organiser is able to promote the tournament by saying that title players X,Y and Z are playing in this tournament, so it will be a good event.

This way the organiser hopes to get more entries.

If a title player only turns up on the day, this doesnt allow the organiser this promotional window. I know Box Hill has a rule that title players must enter before a certain date to claim free or reduced entry.

Thoughts? Please be careful in commenting. My post is about promotion of players and the tournament. I cast no comment on free entry in general or on any title player.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    What do people think of title players just turning up on the day and getting free entry?
    The reason I ask is I think it is a fair assessment that organisers give free entry to title players to encourage them to play in their tournament. In return, the organiser is able to promote the tournament by saying that title players X,Y and Z are playing in this tournament, so it will be a good event.
    This way the organiser hopes to get more entries.
    I agree. That's a fair deal: in return for his free entry, the organizer gets some publicity.
    Then again, a GM often gets an appearence fee to take part in a tournament... so it's hard to judge how many concessions an organizer can make. I guess this is pretty much a personal decission, or a decission which is to be taken by the club organizing the event.

If a title player only turns up on the day, this doesnt allow the organiser this promotional window. I know Box Hill has a rule that title players must enter before a certain date to claim free or reduced entry.
    Yes, good point.
    All I can add in this regard is that when I wasn't a titled player and suddenly I learned that some titled player had entered a tournament, I didn't feel as though he was getting some kind priviledges for being allowed to enter the tournament in the last minute without paying a fee (well, I actually didn't know about those things at the time) but I can assure you that I felt really well about having a player of that standard playing in the event.
    I don't know, it made a tournament a lot more interesting to me.

Anyway, I'm not sure how often this happens nowadays, I'm sure most IMs and GMs schedule their tournaments well in advance. I guess sometimes a player decides to take part in some tournament in the last minute, but I'm sure he asks the organizers first whether that's Ok or not, it's not like if he/she is imposing it.

By the way, what's the correct way of calling an IM or GM, is it "title player", "titled player" or both?
    International Master and Professional Chess Coach.
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9X...rWCy7TSkIXvpYQ

Thread Information