Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    PGN Viewer

There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    1.e4 d5 2.f3 dxe4 3.fxe4 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.Be2 e5 6.0-0 Bxf3 7.Bxf3 Bc5+ 8.Kh1 Nd4 9.c3 Nxf3 10.Qxf3 Qf6 11.Qe2 Qe7 12.b4 Bb6 13.a4 c6 14.a5 Bd8 15.Ba3 Nf6 16.b5 Qd7 17.d4 Qg4 18.Qf2 Qg6 19.Nd2 Ng4 20.Qe2 exd4 21.cxd4 h5 22.e5 Be7 23.Bxe7 Kxe7 24.Ne4 cxb5 25.Nd6 a6 26.Rxf7+ Qxf7 27.Nxf7 Kxf7 28.h3 Nh6 29.Qf3+ Kg8 30.Qxb7 Kh7 31.Qe4+

PGN Viewer

GG. Well played.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Thankyou Howard.............ive come across this black opening idea before,and it just seems to lead to a comfortable position for white...maybe your Nd4 was a bit premature?,but once you had embarked on that Bxf3 line,moves became fairly forced .............Boris is trying the direct method of 2...d5 and 3...f5! but im yet to see the possum simply refuted clearly from the opening................if you hadnt noticed- im SERIOUS about this opening!

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    if you hadnt noticed- im SERIOUS about this opening!
    I know you are - and that's good. I do believe part reason for your success with it is broadly psychological - much the same as the early difficulty you claimed with the Tromp. Specifically, with me I think its rating difference in the middle game.

I am convinced that once sufficient theory has developed, it will be shown as a poor opening

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    I know you are - and that's good. I do believe part reason for your success with it is broadly psychological - much the same as the early difficulty you claimed with the Tromp. Specifically, with me I think its rating difference in the middle game.

I am convinced that once sufficient theory has developed, it will be shown as a poor opening
    i agree with the psychological aspect of the opening,an element not to be underestimated ...and i agree re me and tromp and your middle game observation............but i really would love to see a clear refutation of the possum, against any of the black openings!

I don't think there will be a refutation. It's not such a bad opening. It just hands tempo/ initiative to black. Whether black can get his around that 'advantage' is an ENTIRELY different matter

But my belief that it is a poor opening is backed up by the comp ?? and now a GM?

I don't think there will be a refutation. It's not such a bad opening. It just hands tempo/ initiative to black. Whether black can get his around that 'advantage' is an ENTIRELY different matter

But my belief that it is a poor opening is backed up by the comp ?? and now a GM?
    my position is that any objective 'weakness' in the opening can be offset by its psychological aspect and with a greater familiarity with its 'shockingly' rare lines i could argue that percentage wise my results have improved........i would like to see an IM playing the possum and see how he fares against 'unprepared' titled players....be highly educational.

Yuppers. I like that you are prepared to back and enjoy your opening and chess experience. That is, after all, the main idea!

Yuppers. I like that you are prepared to back and enjoy your opening and chess experience. That is, after all, the main idea!
    ......... i like the creative side to chess, .......V.Pons(GM) said to me that i have an "original style".....and i choose to see that as a compliment,rather than anything else!

If you wish, I'd be happy to set up a match with The Possum v HIARCS 10. I'll move the pieces for the robot and limit it to a strength of your choosing.

ok! great Howard!...............could be enlightening to see how the comp breaks it down...and see if i can survive the opening,not going too far into the negative!

Thread Information