Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Sheik to run in the next state election

www.ninemsn.com.au is reporting that Sheik Al Hilali is considering running against NSW state premier Morris Iemma for the seat of Lakemba.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=176537

I adore the guy, so much controverey, puts the royal family out of business.

It may have been word from him sabotaged all the Lebo students from learning chess, I heard that word had come from the Mosque

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The problem with political jokes is they get elected.

But not in this case.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    www.ninemsn.com.au is reporting that Sheik Al Hilali is considering running against NSW state premier Morris Iemma for the seat of Lakemba.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=176537
    Doesnt the article say that Iemma is challenging Hilali to run for the seat of Lakemba?

Thats a bit different than Hilali saying he wants to run for office.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    Doesnt the article say that Iemma is challenging Hilali to run for the seat of Lakemba?

It is well known that he does not have the ticker for it - litterly and figgery

send him to Guantanamo, Hicks requires spiritual guidance!
    Cheers and good luck
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag

I do believe that article has changed. It was accurate when I put this thread up.

If the article was Iemma challenging Hilali, then I would have posted a thread saying that. I dont know what is going on, it seems they have changed the article in the link.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Yes, it looks like it has been changed to me too. Note that it is time-stamped 14:53 now.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

This was the original article, now from the sun herald:

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheralds...005961,00.html

CONTROVERIAL Muslim leader Sheik Taj el-Din al-Hilaly is considering running in the March 24 state election for Premier Morris Iemma's seat of Lakemba.

The sheik will also endorse two Muslim candidates for the Labor-held seats of Bankstown and Auburn, newspaper reports said.

While the mufti has not yet named the candidates or confirmed his own intentions, his frequent spokesman and defender Keysar Trad confirmed he was considering taking on Mr Iemma.

“If the community intimates its desire to run him, we would accept him to accede to the community's wishes,” Mr Trad reportedly said.

“It is time that politics in NSW received a good shake-up and Iemma's dilemma will be the dearth of Lakemba voters who are dissatisfied with the shortage of facilities and services and will vote accordingly.”

Sheik al-Hilaly told SBS Arabic Radio from Egypt: “I am consulting with some of my brothers and, on my return, we will agree to nominate a sincere, honest Australian personality whose loyalty is totally to Australia and who is able to make contributions to the Lakemba electorate and NSW in general.”

Mr Iemma said he was looking forward to a showdown with the sheikh.

“I am confident the majority of my electorate, including the majority of Muslim constituents, would back my views any day,” he said.

Lakemba is 13 per cent Muslim. Mr Iemma won 64.21 per cent of the vote in the last election.
    From looking at the article again, I have one question. What does controverial mean?

CC Candidate Master

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheralds...005961,00.html

From looking at the article again, I have one question. What does controverial mean?
    Lack of proof reading.

Who would have thought those "journalists" from the Herald Sun would change their story.

If he had his daughters parading as bikini girls he may have a chance.

whatever you think of the sheik's views and words
    he really knows how to play the media.

he should get a gig with dancing with the stars, big brother, etc.

CC Grandmaster
    Unfortunately Bad Popularity is better than no Popularity.

Sheik got plenty of options at his disposal now
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

The sheik is coming from another time frame, another culture, different values. As I stated in the other Sheik thread the issue is not black and white and we can all learn from each other.

A little bit of everything makes an interesting place, more thoughtful and sound. In the long run definitely. And these issues he brings up cover hundreds of years, varying cultures and economic systems, and international involvement such as imperialism, capitalism, brotherhood and other important concepts.

He who is without sins throw..... - well remember that we are on Aboriginal land confiscated violently - just as parts of Palestine were taken.

CC Candidate Master

You need "S"heik to be controversial.

You can't find "controverial' in the Cambridge English dictionary, but if you google it, you'll notice that controverial finds its way on many articles. It looks like "S" was conveniently dropped in most cases to be more controversial....

Thread Information