Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    It's good for the soul, Jean. If mac can do it at his dizzy heights, there's no shame in the rest of us getting it on.
    Sure, there’s no shame in it but doesn’t make much sense to post what’s par for the course. re my soul… no need to worry… the dizzying lows are keeping it in good shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    Sure, there’s no shame in it but doesn’t make much sense to post what’s par for the course.
    I hadn't considered that. So I guess the bar should be set at "a move one's granny would be ashamed of".

With greatest respect to the many grannies both presently and throughout history who could beat me up over 64 squares - including Mary Wilkie
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I hadn't considered that. So I guess the bar should be set at "a move one's granny would be ashamed of".
    It’s all relative of course. Probably no need to narrow the definition of a howler. Was just speaking for myself…

Having said that I might dig out a particular stinker at some point...

Pillock Productions Presents ...

OK, it was 8 moves, not 6. I now present for the absolute delight of all, a disaster that must illustrate incompetence beyond peer ... the likes of which I have never seen reproduced anywhere ... ever!

As such I claim the Gold Medal before the close of entries. The rest of you may fight it out for Silver and Bronze.

[Winter Swiss]
    [BCC]
    [Date "2004.07.08"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "John Alkin"]
    [Black "Howard Duggan"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "1650"]
    [BlackElo "1488"]
    [ECO "A82"]

PGN Viewer

There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Another of my super shockers from the past, in which, playing a then reigning (or recently dethroned) state champion for the first time on a night when I was very tired and not expecting to play a tournament game, this happened ... from about to be a rook up on move 7, to losing on move 42.

*shudder*

Oh, how abysmal it is. It is even worse than I remembered.

Sakov, Pavel (then c.1850) - Bonham, Kevin (then c.1730) [C15]
    HICC Champs, 1997

PGN Viewer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    OK, it was 8 moves, not 6. I now present for the absolute delight of all, a disaster that must illustrate incompetence beyond peer ... the likes of which I have never seen reproduced anywhere ... ever!

That is truly world class. To not even be able to save the queen with the check you just provided for it takes some beating. Most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham

That is truly world class. To not even be able to save the queen with the check you just provided for it takes some beating. Most impressive.
    Thank you thank you. By comparison, your offering is a rank amateurish In fact you're all amateurs by comparison.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

As such I claim the Gold Medal before the close of entries. The rest of you may fight it out for Silver and Bronze.

[Winter Swiss]
    [BCC]
    [Date "2004.07.08"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "John Alkin"]
    [Black "Howard Duggan"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "1650"]
    [BlackElo "1488"]
    [ECO "A82"]

PGN Viewer

Never before could i imagine such hilarity and a chess game combined with such synergetic poetic force...a true tear de force

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar

ok here is a shocker that i have seen:

ok here is a shocker that i have seen:

PGN Viewer

Here is one of m losses from early in my chess career:

PGN Viewer

and a game where I beat a 1900 FICS rated guy in a 5 min game: BTW this is a known line. was discussed in a chesscafe article by Tim ????? cant remember the name

PGN Viewer

GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Thanks Trent. Do you have any of your own Shockers? This is the mark of a (wo)man - if not his chess prowess!

Thanks Trent. Do you have any of your own Shockers? This is the mark of a (wo)man - if not his chess prowess!
    To be a contender for the title, the game has to be one of your own and you made the shocker. Shockers from others can be easily found on the net.

There has to be a personal pride aspect to the game

OK, here's another for the ever fattening coffers of patzerdom.

It's board 2, round 5, and white (idiot) needs a win for second place going into the last round. He's already played the outright leader and will only trail by 1/2 point.

White knows he winning.
    Black knows white's winnning.
    The audience knows white's winning.
    The computer confirmed he's winning.

Enter Howard Duggan

White to play. How about Bf3 - Bc6 rounding up the b pawn and home for tea and cakes? Not a bit of it!

FEN Viewer

How about Bd3, intending Rg7? Well that's what white played. The only trouble is that black paralysed (who couldn't leave the 6th) played Re6, and white missed the fork.

1. Bd3 Re6
    2. Rg7 Re3+ picking up the Bishop. Ta very much. 0-1 some moves later (not before white managed to miss a forced draw). Wanna see that?

FEN Viewer

12 seconds on the clock

And the idiot finds 1.Rh2+ drawing in all lines. The king can neither take the rook nor hide from rolling checks. But after having done the hard work to find and play for the resource, on 1...Kg5, white inexplicably (2 seconds left) plays Rxh2 and loses - to cap off a scintillating day at the office! And off he heads to the middle of the pack for the final round.

Chess is indeed a testy, offensive and cholericke game!
    Last edited by Basil; 13-04-2007 at 02:18 AM.

Howie, as requested:

Event: Club Champs
    Date: 2007.04.16
    White: Chadwick, Charles
    Black: Abbott, James
    White ELO: 1713!!
    Black ELO 1065?
    Result: 1-0
    ECO: E90
    PlyCount: 63
    TimeControl: 900+20

PGN Viewer

"the other lefty"

Thanks. Move 10 is a cracker! After dropping the knight, your single-minded dedication to exchanging material is to be commended.

This game absolutely qualifies. Consider yourself inducted and please join mac and myself in the members' room (exclusive to gold card members). Say hello to Kevin and Trent on the way past (a couple of our silver card members).
    Last edited by Basil; 17-04-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Hello eurotrash.

In the position after 9. d5, if memory serves me correctly, you are supposed to play Ne7. The knight on a5 is kind of out of the action. Ne7 can later assist with a kside attack and also undermining the centre with c6.

Thread Information