Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Catastrophe!

The circumstances of the shocker 33 Ne7?? are discussed in the "How Good Do You Think You Are" thread.

A sad tale - from totally won to totally lost in one move!

Of course I should have put him away much earlier. 28 or so a5 and his N's on a7 and a8 are a sorry picture!

Event: Parramatta Club Champs
    Site: Parra Chess Club
    Date: 2013.05.30
    Round: 5.6
    White: Adams, Jonathan
    Black: Gluvchinsky, Paul
    Result: 0-1
    ECO: B06
    WhiteElo: 1572
    BlackElo: 1538

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 31-05-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Alas that one is a true Disaster Move, though after Kh2 instead of the even more disastrous Kf2 there might have been some sort if life in it.

In certain positions a sense of danger is extremely important but it's easy to forget that when you have negated a danger, your next move may reactivate it. Especially when distracted!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Alas that one is a true Disaster Move, though after Kh2 instead of the even more disastrous Kf2 there might have been some sort if life in it.

In certain positions a sense of danger is extremely important but it's easy to forget that when you have negated a danger, your next move may reactivate it. Especially when distracted!
    My Kf2?? was also rushed as we were about to move the set upstairs out of the playing room. Not happy, Kev!

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    My Kf2?? was also rushed as we were about to move the set upstairs out of the playing room. Not happy, Kev!
    That was very rude and inconsiderate of the RSL official. What was wrong with giving proper notice, or at least seeking out the one in charge?

White had certainly outplayed Black; the ... Bxg4 sac looked like desperation because there was no other counterplay. It might not have harmed White to fortify against this for safety, but it doesn't look sound. 6. Be2 was too early; White doesn't know where this B belongs yet, and it obstructs the only outlet for the Ng1.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thanks Jono. I soon realised 6 Be2 was wrong and was glad I could move it to d3 with significant time and space gain.Paul's 6...e5 was more wrong.
    Our president wasn't there but the RSL lady could eadily have asked for someone official - either VP Arthur Huynh or myself though we were both playing.

CC International Master
    PGN Viewer

Opp was <200 points lower than me as well. This one is so embarrassing I almost didn't post it, but then I thought I couldn't leave my fellow chess chatters without the fun.

And yes, seconds after playing 38. Rg3? I saw the win after 38. Rh3+
    Last edited by Saragossa; 28-11-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Awful, but no contender! Thanks for sharing.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

24 Qxh6+?? when I think 24 f4 wins!

From the sublime (win v Stefan Lindt last Wednesday) to the ridiculous clanger last night! George Bai always plays fast and not for the first time lulled me into moving too quickly. My thought process on move 24 was terrible. I first saw 24 f3 was well met my ....Rd8. Then I thought "Taking the h pawn is a strong check" and immediately played it, totally missing the long range defence of the pawn by his Q! I think 24 f4 wins because if then ...Rd8 25 Qg6 looks winning. 25 Qg6 now can't be met by ...Qg5. ...Rg8 is forced when he has a passive position.

Our 4th battle with George in Classical Ruy Lopez: Our score now 2-2. Other games with George on the "Your games" thread.

LESSON: Sit on my hands when playing and do not move fast, especially when playing George Bai!!!!

[Event "Rooty Hill Club Champs. B Grade"]
    [Site "RH RSL Chess Club"]
    [Date "2014.10.20"]
    [Round "2 Board 8"]
    [White "Adams, Jonathan"]
    [Black "Bai, George"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "1698", FIDE]
    [BlackElo "1708", FIDE]
    [ECO "C64"]
    [Time control: 90 mins + 30 sec increment per move]

PGN Viewer

CC Grandmaster
    My God...sad way to lose.
    Position looked dominant by for white, but can not see immidiate way to win. I guess Kh1 is not a very useful move. Also Be5 instead of Qd5+ appears to be more accurate

Depressing way to lose: one move blunder in great position...been there done that
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 21-10-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    My God...sad way to lose.
    Position looked dominant by for white, but can not see immidiate way to win. I guess Kh1 is not a very useful move. Also Be5 instead of Qd5+ appears to be more accurate

Depressing way to lose: one move blunder in great position...been there done that
    True comments. Go back a few posts on this thread and you will see I have done similarly stupid things before.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    10. Ng5 and 11. Nxf7 seems premature. What about some development first? Black can't catch up easily because of that salient on d6.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    10. Ng5 and 11. Nxf7 seems premature. What about some development first? Black can't catch up easily because of that salient on d6.
    Fritz agrees with you!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    10. Ng5 and 11. Nxf7 seems premature.
    Not just premature, but also a bad idea in any case; why complicate matters in a completely superior position by giving two pieces for a rook and pawn?

On move 24, while f4 as suggested is good, f3 is better. It hits the bishop and if the bishop retreats comes Rad1 and the knight is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Not just premature, but also a bad idea in any case; why complicate matters in a completely superior position by giving two pieces for a rook and pawn?

On move 24, while f4 as suggested is good, f3 is better. It hits the bishop and if the bishop retreats comes Rad1 and the knight is toast.
    At the board I thought he could reply to 24 f3 with ...Rd8. But I now see that 25 Qg6 is still strong as ...Qg5 just loses the B after the Q swap. So he has to play...Rg8 and then still loses the Bishop.

CC Grandmaster
    Anything is stronger than queen blunder
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information