Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    On the "Chesskit Battle" thread I mentioned the horror in junior days of losing to a player rated 887 in a game in which I had K+R+N+6P vs K+R+2P. (I blundered the rook attempting a fancy rook swap and then found that despite having four pawns for the exchange my position was still dead lost.) But I was only a 1035-rated junior at the time so that doesn't really count.

The worst of the worst in my case was this one; at the time Nigel was a somewhat better player than me and had beaten me the previous five times we had played.

Frame (c. 1630*) - Bonham (c. 1500*), 1995 Sandy Bay G60

PGN Viewer

I remember after this loss I just sat there numbly and did not get up for several minutes.

* This was during a period in which the Tassie ratings were not updated for years so we were probably both a fair bit better than this.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

Short Circuited Silicon Shocker !

OK, you want to see the computer short circuited?I now give the remaining dramatic moves
    white Axiom~1900 black Computer 2665 7/5/04
    PGN Viewer

A true silicon shocker!
    Last edited by Axiom; 07-01-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Kevin and Axiom. Axiom, we want YOUR shockers, something else's! Kevin, thanks for the offering.

Mac, you are miles ahead! C'mon people. We want H/O/W/L/E/R/S
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    In the 1985 Tasmanian U14 Championships, an unrated event in which I finished sixth out of about 14, I dropped a rook to the old chestnut 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 g6?? 3.Qxe5+ and subsequently lost the game in about 20 moves.

I had a few other games that event where I found that defending e5 was too much like hard work, and took up 1...e6 shortly after, and never looked back!

My shortest losses were a couple of games I resigned early in my career, one on move 11 after losing two pawns for no compensation, another on about move 10 after losing a piece ditto.

My shortest loss barring such arguably premature resignations was this shocker (it's rather spectacular):

Pablo Oriol - Bonham, 1997 State Interclub

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 07-01-2007 at 09:23 PM.

someone has to :)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Axiom, we want YOUR shockers,
    i know you want my shockers ,but how was the computer to present his? i felt honour bound....

Twister

..........actually ,try saying ... " short circuited silicon shocker" repeatedly really quickly.

If Kramnik can do it, so can I!

PGN Viewer

Glenno slaps Howard. Correspondence chesschat. Today's date.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I was on the winning end of this "shocker" from the Ringwood Club Championship 1980:

PGN Viewer

As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity. -- C.S.Lewis

Much more recently I was on the losing end of this awful exhibition:

PGN Viewer

As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity. -- C.S.Lewis

Love your work Frosty. This is what we want. Mac is still light years ahead, but I must be gaining!

More from Fox & James 'The Even More Complete Chess Addict'

I quote directly:
    Then there's the gruesome thing that befell a Yugolslavian GM in Havana. It's the summer of 1965, and Borislav Ivkov is on top of the world: he's beaten two all-time greats (Smyslov & Fischer) and he's leading a very strong field in the Capablanca Memorial Tournament. If he wins, it'll be the best result of his life.

With two rounds to go, Boris is expected to clinch first place with an easy win against a tail-ender, the Cuban Gilberto Garcia - a relative unknown.

True to form, Ivkov (black) crushes the local boy in the middle of the game and reaches a position in which Garcia should resign. But, as they say, 'you never win a game by resigning' ...

FEN Viewer

What would you play? Boris chose the move that is still waking him in the middle of the night:

36... d3; and after 37.Bc3, it was the ashen-faced Ivkov who had to resign. Doubtless shattered by this horror story, Ivkov blew his last game too - and finished a sadder and wiser grandmaster, equal 4th.

* Anthony Glyn uses this disaster as part of the plot in his absorbing novel 'The Dragon Variation' (1969)

And just to keep the flavour going in an attempt to induce our membership to dig deep, more from the same authors:

One of the shortest losses between world-class players is the horrible: Marshall-Chigorin, Monte Carlo, 1902. Queen's Gambit Chigorin Defence

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Basil; 07-02-2007 at 11:12 AM.

tsk tsk, doesn't he know how to play the Chigorin's Defence properly? Needs to study his theory more.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Mac, you are miles ahead! C'mon people. We want H/O/W/L/E/R/S
    out of the 90 odd tournament games Ive played I can provide an endless supply of howlers...

might post a game when the howler percentage drops... (I like the idea of this thread, just can't bear to share the pain )

It's good for the soul, Jean. If mac can do it at his dizzy heights, there's no shame in the rest of us getting it on.

Thread Information