Correspondence Boo Boos

In a recent (casual) game (with AC), a clearly and accurately identified (and played) move by player A was incorrectly interpreted by a player B (just careless, late etc.).

Player B, based upon his mistake, played a subsequent move which changed the outcome of the game.

Palyer A then played his move whereby player B was immediately alerted to his mistake. The players happily and mutually agreed a 'take-back'.

My question is two-fold:
    1) Are there correspondence laws governing this situation, and
    2) If so, what are they?
    Last edited by Basil; 30-12-2006 at 09:31 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Basically, it's your own responsibility to see what move has been played. Ordinarily, Player B should accept their mistake and move on, however, like any social game, a takeback is ok if your opponent allows it - I'm sure you'll be able to work it out amongst yourselves.

I actually misread a move early on in a game and it led to an interesting seldom-played opening line fortunately, rather than some random blunder.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Rule 1. (a) states :- don't play twice with the same cheat
    (b) states:- learn from your mistakes
    (c) states:- you were sucked in
    (d) states:- never trust a Lebo
    (e) states:- not even a gay would pull that low trick

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    It has been a while since I played postal chess with the Australian Correspondence Chess League, but in the old copy of the rules I have (1993 I think),

Under the section "Moves must stand", Rule 8 states:

"Once a move has been posted, it may not be altered by either player, except as required by these rules".

However, in the commentary to the rules it says: "What happens if my opponent points out that I have made a clerical error and offers to let me amend it? Rule 8 prevents either player from changing a move on their own initiative but it does not say that it is illegal for both players to agree to amend clerical errors".

Which basically means that if both players agree to correct an error (eg writing Rd2 instead of Rd7), then it is within the rules to do so. (Or in other words, it's ok to change it if you both agree, but if one player insists on the move, then it must stand).

I am not sure what the Fernschach rules were on this, as I can't find my copy at the moment.

Hope that sheds some light.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

EE,

I would have thought that if a player's clerical error still results in a legal move, they would be stuck with it. I can see situations with the rule you posted where player A makes a move, then claims clerical error and then if Player B says too bad, he/she can look like the 'bad guy' and Player A might try and pressure Player B into allowing the clerical error to be altered.

Thread Information