Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: chess magazines

  1. #1
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441

    chess magazines

    does anyone know the history of chess magazine publications in Australia?

    I know that we have the fine Australian CHess magazine now. Before that we had the equally fine Chess Forum of Shaun.

    Any BB authority here who can trace the history of chesss magazines in Australia? Has there always been one chess magazine, or has there been more than one with a "war" for circulation, as in the Daily Mirror vs Sun fights
    Always do your Best

  2. #2
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,543
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    does anyone know the history of chess magazine publications in Australia?

    I know that we have the fine Australian CHess magazine now. Before that we had the equally fine Chess Forum of Shaun.

    Any BB authority here who can trace the history of chesss magazines in Australia? Has there always been one chess magazine, or has there been more than one with a "war" for circulation, as in the Daily Mirror vs Sun fights
    From Jan 1922-Dec 1928 there was the Austral Chess and Draughts Nnewspaper published by James Prowse.
    Prudy started the Australasian Chess Review in July 1929.
    The name changed in July 1944 to Check!.
    The name changed again in 1946 to Chess World and this was published from until Dec 1967.
    The Chess Bulletin was published from around March 1948 up until Dec 1965.
    It originally started off as a NSW bulletin and was the official organ of the NSWCA but in Sept 1965 it also became the official organ of the VCA (Victorian Chess Association). It became CIA in 1966.
    Chess in Australia started in January 1966 and was published until June 1983 by Bernie Johnson.
    Peter Parr took over the publishing in July 1983 and continued publishing CIA until Jan/Feb 1992 when the name changed to Australian Chess Magazine. I believe this was because Parr had not registered the name or had allowed it to lapse and Brian Jones registered it, thus preventing Parr from continuing to use it.

    Australian Chess Magazine continued up until the Dec 1997/Jan1998 issue.

  3. #3
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    From Jan 1922-Dec 1928 there was the Austral Chess and Draughts Nnewspaper published by James Prowse.
    Prudy started the Australasian Chess Review in July 1929.
    The name changed in July 1944 to Check!.
    The name changed again in 1946 to Chess World and this was published from until Dec 1967.
    The Chess Bulletin was published from around March 1948 up until Dec 1965.
    It originally started off as a NSW bulletin and was the official organ of the NSWCA but in Sept 1965 it also became the official organ of the VCA (Victorian Chess Association). It became CIA in 1966.
    Chess in Australia started in January 1966 and was published until June 1983 by Bernie Johnson.
    Peter Parr took over the publishing in July 1983 and continued publishing CIA until Jan/Feb 1992 when the name changed to Australian Chess Magazine. I believe this was because Parr had not registered the name or had allowed it to lapse and Brian Jones registered it, thus preventing Parr from continuing to use it.

    Australian Chess Magazine continued up until the Dec 1997/Jan1998 issue.
    you are a font of all knowledge

    from what you say from 1922 when the first Australian chess mag started to 1948 there was just one magazine (Austral Chess& Draughts, then Australian Chess review, then Check, then Chess World)

    In 1948 to 1965 there seems to have been 2 publications. The Chess World magazine and the Chess Bulletin. To be fair though the Chess Bulletin was just for our state, before it also became the VCA magazine in 1965 and became national

    So the fight seems to be for just 2 years - CIA (the old Chess Bulletin) vs Chess World from Sep 1965 to Dec 1967. This saw Chess World close and it was just one magazine for Australia again

    CIA to Aust Chess Mag and when that closed the Chess Forum and and when that closed from 2003 Australian Chess

    The track record seems to be that Australia can just afford 1 chess magazine and that there has been with 5 mastheads (Austral Chess&Draughts, Chess review/Check/ChessWorld, Chess Bulletin/CIA/AUstChess, Chess Forum and now Australian Chess, with 4 closing

    I hope Aust Chess survives for a good AUst chess mag is good for Aust chess
    Always do your Best

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    Any of youse people ever written a profile on CJS Purdy that I can use? Maybe a 500-700 word write-up, original work, comprehensive and accurate quick profile that covers career and achievements, preferably referenced (though not essential) with endnotes?

    Cheers boys.

    AR

  5. #5
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Any of youse people ever written a profile on CJS Purdy that I can use? Maybe a 500-700 word write-up, original work, comprehensive and accurate quick profile that covers career and achievements, preferably referenced (though not essential) with endnotes?

    Cheers boys.

    AR
    his son who lives here or his daughter who is married to the Kiwi IM may have profiles of their dad that you can use, mate
    Always do your Best

  6. #6
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    his son who lives here or his daughter who is married to the Kiwi IM may have profiles of their dad that you can use, mate

    PM to jammo.......he co-wrote a book on key writings of CJSP

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    I did a bit of research last night and found that Bill here omitted a most important detail. According to Mr John van Manen, in CIA 03/77, the Wellington Chess News "is almost certainly the first chess magazine in Australia." Actually, it was Bob Meadley who had first mentioned that publication in 11/75 of CIA.

    "Wellington" is Wellington in South Australia. WCN was a club magazine for the Wellington CC. The editor was a G.A. Wilson. There were sixteen issues in total and ran from 1882-1883, thus, clearly predating Austral Chess and Draughts. It appears that the main reason for the magazine's demise was the editor's other business engagements.

    G.A. Wilson, the editor for WCN, appears to have been a fairly competent player. He was one of only four players to achieve a draw againts Blackburne in a blindfold simul in Adelaide 1885.

    For more: see CIA, March 1977, 3 vol 12. p. 70.

    AR

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    Got a bit of a question here right. Any1 of youse know who were Xylothismos and Chielamangus?

    AR

  9. #9
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar

    "Wellington" is Wellington in South Australia. WCN was a club magazine for the Wellington CC. The editor was a G.A. Wilson. There were sixteen issues in total and ran from 1882-1883, thus, clearly predating Austral Chess and Draughts. It appears that the main reason for the magazine's demise was the editor's other business engagements.

    AR
    wow. arosar you really are a bastion of chess history.

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    I'm certainly not. Meadley and van Manen are. We owe it all to them.

    AR

  11. #11
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Got a bit of a question here right. Any1 of youse know who were Xylothismos and Chielamangus?

    AR
    Chielamangus was a pen name that C.J.S. Purdy used when writing on less serious chess topics.

  12. #12
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    Jeo would not have approved.

    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Chielamangus was a pen name that C.J.S. Purdy used when writing on less serious chess topics.
    Good job it was not in Jeo's time. He is really dark on hydras.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to increase chess participation.
    By ursogr8 in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 22-04-2005, 05:02 PM
  2. Need Support for our cause to save the confused Chess World!
    By mythoskaos in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 09:44 PM
  3. australian chess and sex
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 24-03-2004, 10:24 AM
  4. The role of clubs in chess
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •