Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned Arrogant-One's Avatar

Chess Puzzles by AO - The choice of exquisite gentlemen

White to move and win in all 3 games below.

FEN Viewer

White to move and win!

FEN Viewer

And:

FEN Viewer

Once again, these chess puzzles were brought to you by AO, chess puzzles for the exquisite and distinguished gentleman!
    Last edited by Arrogant-One; 22-12-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks AO !

I enjoyed looking at these positions so it means I must be exquisite and distinguished !

Merry Christmas to you too !

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    #3 is cooked as there are two more or less winning moves, one of which is trivially obvious and the other of which is a fairly simple combination. I would probably play the trivially obvious one.

#1 is very obvious but it is somewhat useful to analyse why other wins are not as crushing.

#2 is pretty simple too but the reason why the obvious refutation attempt doesn't work is quite instructive.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Okay, I will raise the bar then!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    #3 is cooked as there are two more or less winning moves, one of which is trivially obvious and the other of which is a fairly simple combination. I would probably play the trivially obvious one.

#1 is very obvious but it is somewhat useful to analyse why other wins are not as crushing.

#2 is pretty simple too but the reason why the obvious refutation attempt doesn't work is quite instructive.
    Granted as far as #3 goes, its a position from a game played by a new Canadian GM.

Number #2 is trickier than first blush because if Black plays Rook takes Knight there could be complications.

And Number #1 is a Pal Benko game. Perhaps I should raise the bar a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    I enjoyed looking at these positions so it means I must be exquisite and distinguished!
    There was never any doubt George.
    Last edited by Arrogant-One; 23-12-2006 at 05:05 PM.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Hi AO, I think I managed to solve all three of them, however would need to see your solutions to see if I had managed that achievement.

I would like to suggest that you keep up the good work, and ignore criticisms from certain levels. I find much of interest in the positions you provide (and potential material for helping out the juniors visiting our club).

Thank you,

~EE
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One
    Number #2 is trickier than first blush because if Black plays Rook takes Knight there could be complications.
    That was the reason for my comments. Rook takes Knight is the obvious refutation attempt I referred to.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    he he he, it looks like, for once, we are all in agreement then!

AO: Would you like to post your solutions? Or would you prefer to wait a couple of weeks so others may take a shot?

Cheers,

~EE
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    he he he, it looks like, for once, we are all in agreement then!

AO: Would you like to post your solutions? Or would you prefer to wait a couple of weeks so others may take a shot?

Cheers,

~EE
    Hello EE

I will post the solutions now.

Solution to Problem #1 is Bxa5! With the Black Queen off the 6th rank, there is no way checkmate can be averted after Qxe6.

Solution to Problem #2 is Rxg6! Now to the amateur this looks like a simple winning tactic, but things can get tricky if the Black Rook then takes the White Knight. However, after Rxg6 Rxe5 fxe5 hxg6 there is no way for Black to stop the e pawn from promoting.

Solution to #3 is BxN RxN Ng6 forking the two Rooks. Black cannot capture the Knight because his f8 rook is no longer immune from capture by White's doubled rooks on the F file.

More problems to come in time EE.

Until then, have a Merry Christmas - you too Kevin.

Solution to #3 is BxN RxN Ng6 forking the two Rooks. Black cannot capture the Knight because his f8 rook is no longer immune from capture by White's doubled rooks on the F file.
    This wins the exchange, which is fine, but it's a closed position after that and White could find the position very challenging to win. A matter of taste (or skill level) but I would play Nxh5 winning a pawn with continuing attack instead.

Best Choices vs Good Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    This wins the exchange, which is fine, but it's a closed position after that and White could find the position very challenging to win. A matter of taste (or skill level) but I would play Nxh5 winning a pawn with continuing attack instead.
    I think this requires more explanation Kevin.

You seem to be saying you'd prefer to win a pawn (worth one point) instead of an exchange (worth two points). While material isn't always indicative of the strength of one's postion, in this case I think the move winning the most material is far superior - which may be why GM Mark Bluvshtein played it.

Your move winning the pawn is also good of course, but the puzzles called for the best winning move.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Yeah, back to kinders KB, you are way out of your league, by the way in my game without that bishop I thought HD would lose his rook to take my new queen giving me piece up in endgame, so still good chances, only I did not want to play after that kind of "mistake". And to make it on topic in this thread I am sure AO's superior mind will back me up. Back me AO against that Duggan guy.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Yeah, back to kinders KB, you are way out of your league, by the way in my game without that bishop I thought HD would lose his rook to take my new queen giving me piece up in endgame, so still good chances, only I did not want to play after that kind of "mistake". And to make it on topic in this thread I am sure AO's superior mind will back me up. Back me AO against that Duggan guy.
    AC, You always have my full support!

You seem to be saying you'd prefer to win a pawn (worth one point) instead of an exchange (worth two points).
    The view that the exchange is worth two points is highly suspect and has been under increasing attack in the last 50 years or so. People already know this to a degree because they score knight=3, rook=5, but say that bishops are better than knights, from which it follows that rook for bishop (the material exchanged in this case) is typically less than two pawns.

In my view the exchange is actually only worth about a pawn and a half on average. If a strong attack may be considered to be worth, say, half a pawn, then winning a pawn and retaining a strong attack is about as good as winning the exchange.

The old Q=9, R=5, N=B=3 standard is oversimplified in many aspects. To give another example, two rooks (10 points) is supposed to be better than a queen (9 points) but one statistical study has shown that in queen + n pawns vs two rooks + n pawns endgames, the queen scores slightly better than the two rooks.

Furthermore, your puzzles did not call for the best winning move, but said "White to play and win". In studies, this means that there is only one win, and if a second win is found then that "cooks" the study, rendering it in need of repair. In this case it is not possible to prove that either move wins, but rather there are two strong moves which are both likely to lead to a win with best play.

Some example lines:

1.Nxh5 Nc4 2.Bxe7 Rxe7 3.Rg3 g6 4.Nf6+ Kg7 5.h5 and black cannot avoid losing a second pawn with a clearly lost endgame.

1.Nxh5 Ng6 2.Bf6!? gxf6 3.Nxf6+ Kh8 4.Rf5 Ne7 and white will soon have rook and three passed pawns (two of them on the fifth rank) for two badly co-ordinated knights plus threats on black's king, overwhelmingly likely to be won.

I don't think the position after winning the exchange is quite as easy to win. The board is not easily opened and White has weak pawns which could be hassled by Black's knight. So a GM played this line, so what. For all we know he may have been short of time.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Complete nonsense, it would have been easy to stop you from getting anywhere near a new queen and in fact you would have been the one who would need to play accurately to avoid losing.

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    KB, I agree with everything you say regarding the material imbalances, but since all lines are fairly easily winning it's not a critical example. Just a couple of things:

a) If you're not going to take the exchange, there's always 1.Bxe7 Rxe7 2.Nxd5. After ...Rd7 3.Nf4 you win the h-pawn as well anyway.

b) Winning the exchange with 2.Ng6 shouldn't present any technical difficulties at all with the half-open f-file.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 26-12-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirty
    a) If you're not going to take the exchange, there's always 1.Bxe7 Rxe7 2.Nxd5. After ...Rd7 3.Nf4 you win the h-pawn as well anyway.
    Yes, that's another strong option, and may even be the strongest of all. Black has 3...Nc4 threatening the a-pawn but 4.Rg3! appears to ensure that White will go two pawns up.

Thread Information