Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

Question unmarried fathers

read this age article recently

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articl...055646134.html

what do you think Machiavelli? Anyone else?

It's certainly not such a big issue these days, maybe back in the 50s perhaps-
    whaddya reckon? I don't think anyone cares much now

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    <deleted>
    Dont hold back, tell us what you really think.
    Last edited by Barry Cox; 19-04-2004 at 06:53 PM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Dont hold back, tell us what you really think.
    I think Matt was drinking, and you should not crucify him for this. he is only human mate
    Always do your Best

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Arndt has a fair bit of form on stuff like this. I thought her article suffered from a very poor level of distinction between two relevant issues:

* marriage vs parenthood by committed unmarried partners.
    * marriage vs single parenthood, esp. deliberate.

If the first does really lead to less stable parenting/fatherhood this should have been demonstrated. I am not sure what is known about this, and even if marriage worked better than (relatively) committed partnership, then one would ask: is the difference down to the act of marriage, or is it down to the sorts of people who do marry being the sort of people who are more likely to stay together anyway?

I think the idea that Pat Rafter shouldn't have been Australian of the Year because of impending unmarried parenthood is even more ridiculous than the idea that he should have been Australian of the Year largely for being a tennis player with an excellent but far from all-time-great record. But I've had that rant before.

Fortunately for everyone I have no interest in being a dad so all this stuff does not really affect me. However if anyone actually has firm evidence about whether marriage still really works better than the best of the rest, I'd be interested to see it.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    I think Matt was drinking, and you should not crucify him for this. he is only human mate
    I doubt it.
    His post was in the middle of the day.
    He normally only posts drunk late in the evenings.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I doubt it.
    His post was in the middle of the day.
    He normally only posts drunk late in the evenings.
    Also the spelling goes from poor to almost unreadable.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    FMD. Why was my post deleted? No swearing at all. No slander. I can see no reason why my calling for the desexing of irresponsible parents was deleted. This is twice now that savage imagry has been cut. It stinks. This censorship is weak as piss.

obviously itd be ideal to have married parents(a strong marriage as opposed to the married couple where the father doesnt come home each night n beat his wife and kids) as it seems to be that the kid(lets say a guy) tends to have the better relationship with his mother in early yrs, up to pre-teen, then once theyre in their teens onwards they get the better relationship with the dad, dont ask me why, probably cause lil guys are more feminent when theyre young and turn right when they get older - but in any case, i dont think it matters too much if a kid only got one parent(if it was a girl then itd probably be best for the single parent to be a woman and if guy then guy parent)
    so bsides that i dont think it matters whether a kids gotta mum n dad it aint gonna matter shit if youve only got a dad, and he also just happens to be filthy rich and famous, youd have plenty of money, so a fine environment, patty rafter would have a steady stream of gfs comin in n out(so ya might be able to pick up a few tips on womanizing at an early age) and it aint like hes gonna stay unmarried forever
    who cares whether rafter isnt married? im sure the kid wont be complainin
    and as for ideas that rafter shouldnt have gotten the australian of the year award for bein an unmarried father? <bzzzzt!>, it doesnt make my opinion of rafter go down at all, im sure the only ppl bitchin bout this would be a buncha fat ugly skanks on their periods - and if this is a question bout "are we settin a good example to the children that this is ok?" dyou really think most kids are gonna know bout this? i didnt til just now and im sure i aint alone
    Last edited by Barry Cox; 20-04-2004 at 12:24 AM.
    thats when i get so blind i need a guidedog, a cyclops with the eyes shut talkin bout "who turned the lights off?!"

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadZ
    obviously itd be ideal to have married parents(a strong marriage as opposed to the married couple where the father doesnt come home each night n beat his wife and kids) as it seems to be that the kid(lets say a guy) tends to have the better relationship with his mother in early yrs, up to pre-teen, then once theyre in their teens onwards they get the better relationship with the dad, dont ask me why, probably cause lil guys are more feminent when theyre young and turn right when they get older - but in any case, i dont think it matters too much if a kid only got one parent(if it was a girl then itd probably be best for the single parent to be a woman and if guy then guy parent)
    so bsides that i dont think it matters whether a kids gotta mum n dad it aint gonna matter shit if youve only got a dad, and he also just happens to be filthy rich and famous, youd have plenty of money, so a fine environment, patty rafter would have a steady stream of gfs comin in n out(so ya might be able to pick up a few tips on womanizing at an early age) and it aint like hes gonna stay unmarried forever
    who cares whether rafter isnt married? im sure the kid wont be complainin
    and as for ideas that rafter shouldnt have gotten the australian of the year award for bein an unmarried father? <bzzzzt!>, it doesnt make my opinion of rafter go down at all, im sure the only ppl bitchin bout this would be a buncha fat ugly skanks on their periods - and if this is a question bout "are we settin a good example to the children that this is ok?" dyou really think most kids are gonna know bout this? i didnt til just now and im sure i aint alone
    why does it say last edited by barry cox-was something censored?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    why does it say last edited by barry cox-was something censored?
    I'd suggest a bit o' swearing got changed to <bzzzzzzt>.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    FMD. Why was my post deleted? No swearing at all. No slander. I can see no reason why my calling for the desexing of irresponsible parents was deleted. This is twice now that savage imagry has been cut. It stinks. This censorship is weak as piss.
    I sympathise with Matty's frustration here. I think Bazza should take a coupla bottles of the chill pill.

AR

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I sympathise with Matty's frustration here. I think Bazza should take a coupla bottles of the chill pill.

AR
    AR
    Based on BroadZ broad-sides from WA and Bazza'a considered exemplary appoach over a long time, my vote would be on Bazza's judgement. Apart from Bazza's italian flocking he has not put a foot wrong.
    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 20-04-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    AR
    Based on BroadZ broad-sides from WA and Bazza'a considered exemplary appoach over a long time, my vote would be on Bazza's judgement. Apart from Bazza's italian flocking he has not put a foot wrong.
    starter

BroadZ broad-sides? whadya mean by that?
    thats when i get so blind i need a guidedog, a cyclops with the eyes shut talkin bout "who turned the lights off?!"

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadZ
    BroadZ broad-sides? whadya mean by that?
    I was thinking of the quote attributed to you 1am 19 January 2004; for starters.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    How come "...buncha fat ugly skanks on their periods..." - BroadZ, doesn't get cencored. It is moderately rough. What I said was no worse. In fact it was not as sexist as this quote.

Starter, unless you know what was censored, you cannot give unqualified support to my earstwhile club mate, BC.

Thread Information