Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Real Queen Sac's

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Don't be shy, post it in the Games and Analysis section so we can all enjoy it. :p Or is it up on the Doeberl site?

Amazingly enough in all my tournament experience I've only "sacced" my queen once. And even then it wasn't a real sac but rather a combo where I knew that when everything came out in the wash I would be at least the exchange up.
    Does this count as a real queen sac.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 20-04-2004 at 08:47 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Technically I'd also call that a combo because after giving up the Q Black obtains a net material advantage (RBB for Q) by force through moves that can be calculated OTB, even though he doesn't get the Q back.

Can't remember where I first saw this alleged distinction between combos and "real sacrifices" mentioned. It's a blurry one.

My comment about having only given up my queen as a combo once was limited to rated tournaments. In a blitz event this year I left my queen en prise four times - twice each in two seperate games. In all cases the queen offer was sound and declined .
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Does this count as a real queen sac.

PGN Viewer

I think that should be 0-1 and yes I think it does count

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    I think that should be 0-1 and yes I think it does count
    Yes. I fixed it.

Bill, was that one of yours?

This was mine, which was a similar kind of thing except that it gets the Q itself back:

PGN Viewer

It was in the last round of an event where I had been destroyed by a slightly weaker opponent who continually sacrificed pieces every half-dozen moves or so in round 2, so I was playing catchup. As I recall I won about $120 for winning this game while my opponent, who had led by 1.5 points with 2 rounds to go, got nothing instead of getting about $200 for a win or $160 for a draw, so I imagine that this was all a bit painful for him. Qe4 instead of h4 allows White to lose only one exchange, and I think he later gets a pawn back as well, but Black is still clearly better.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Bill, was that one of yours?
    Yes, played back in 1992 at the time control of 40 in 90 and 30 to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Yes, played back in 1992 at the time control of 40 in 90 and 30 to finish.
    When was the last time you played a tournament Bill? I always find it curious the number of chess administrators that never play any more..
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC International Master
    How did you change your title to Black mage, "Bruce"?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    When was the last time you played a tournament Bill? I always find it curious the number of chess administrators that never play any more..
    or EvEn morE curious arE thosE who drift towards talking about chEss administration on thE bullEtin board

thE HUNK

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    How did you change your title to Black mage, "Bruce"?
    Gareth, you need at least 200 posts, then it appears in your User Options.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

I played a rapid at the start of the year.
    Also in my club champ last year and two rapids last year.

CC International Master
    Gareth, you need at least 200 posts, then it appears in your User Options.
    oh well that's a fair way away for me oh well at least it wasn't 500

CC FIDE Master
    White: Milan Ninchich
    Black: Shaun Press
    Place: Belconnen CC Round: 7 Year: 1994

PGN Viewer

That, on the other hand, is what I think of as a fully fledged queen sac. Black goes down material overall (two pieces and a pawn for the queen) for massive strategic compensation in the form of a groggy white king up against the rope. So perish all Whites who play 5.Nxf7? (6.Ke2's not too flash either).

CC Rookie
    Call me a noobie but how is a discovered attack on your queen while your being checked and forced to take the knight and lose your queen a queen sacrifice?

Excuse me if im being a chess sucker!
    I for one welcome our new robot chess masters.

Thread Information