Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New World Championship cycle proposed by FIDE...

A merger of the 128 player knockout system and the double round robin system.

Every 2nd year, 128 players are divided into 16 groups of 8 who play round robins. The winners will then play 2x 8-player round robins, and the winners of these two will play a four game match against each other to determine the challenger - who plays the WC the following year.

Report!
    "the other lefty"

I think the world chess champion title should be for life and upon the champion's death there should be a conclave in Kalmykia whereby the top 128 players get locked up in a yurt and until they decide who should be world champion they indicate a no result yet each day via putting fresh yak's milk outside the yurt door and a result via doing likewise with fermented yak's milk.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I don't see why the match to determine the challenger (from the winners of the two second-stage round-robins) has to be so short.

Apart from that it seems like a good proposal.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    The chessbase report mentions that tie-breaks will only be needed in the final (4 game) match - have to agree with Kevin that it seems a bit short - so I assume that there will be a countback proceedure used to decide any ties after the round robin stage ... could this be almost worse, with someone missing out on a place because of results not directly related to their own games?

It really does seem that fide is trying to use any format that isnt the old candidates matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    so I assume that there will be a countback proceedure used to decide any ties after the round robin stage ... could this be almost worse, with someone missing out on a place because of results not directly related to their own games?
    That's an issue too - credible tiebreaks for round-robins are few and far between. There's Sonneborn-Berger of course but it's not really very well justified; it seems to reward unreliability.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrash
    A merger of the 128 player knockout system and the double round robin system.

Every 2nd year, 128 players are divided into 16 groups of 8 who play round robins. The winners will then play 2x 8-player round robins, and the winners of these two will play a four game match against each other to determine the challenger - who plays the WC the following year.

Report!
    A very interesting proposal. Certainly an improvement of there previoous 128 player knockouts. Some flexibility as to the size of the second round groups could allow players who tie for first in the 8 player round robins go though to the second round. The World Cup final to decide who is the challenger needs to be longer, 8 games perhaps.
    The plan doesn't state whether the round robin tournaments are all to be played at the same place or whether the second round would continue straight after the first round. I would prefer the round robins to be spread around and then a months break to the second round to allow the players to prepare. Same to the final.
    Scott

CC International Master
    The Daily Dirt Chess Blog by Mig has a good analysis of the problems of these round robins. He argues that its likely that many of the tournaments would go to tiebreaks. In the comments Shirov makes the point that there will be 4-3 colour splits. Link

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    The Daily Dirt Chess Blog by Mig has a good analysis of the problems of these round robins. He argues that its likely that many of the tournaments would go to tiebreaks. In the comments Shirov makes the point that there will be 4-3 colour splits. Link
    Yes, 4-3 splits are a problem (although still better than 2-game matches and other such jokes). I had actually misinterpreted the proposal as being for double round-robins because of the rest day after the 7th game; I assumed if it was a single round-robin then that would not make sense since the round robin would be over. But it appears these rest days are the rest days before the next stage.

OK, I do try to be on the positive side when FIDE offers something that is not a complete joke for a change, but I do agree that this system has its problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    OK, I do try to be on the positive side when FIDE offers something that is not a complete joke for a change, but I do agree that this system has its problems.
    I dont think alot of the problems with the wc lie with the format, but with fide itself.

See line 2 from my sig

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I dont think alot of the problems with the wc lie with the format, but with fide itself.
    Indeed, the main problem with the format is that it will probably be changed (again)!

Looks like it's been fiddled again based on this.

What the hell is the "2008 Universal Event Promotion match"? Is that the one that Kramnik plays against the winner of Mexico if he doesn't win it, or is it something else?

Does this mean Topalov has a route into the next cycle that bypasses the World Cup process now, even if Kramnik doesn't win Mexico?

I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Looks like it's been fiddled again based on this.

What the hell is the "2008 Universal Event Promotion match"? Is that the one that Kramnik plays against the winner of Mexico if he doesn't win it, or is it something else?

Does this mean Topalov has a route into the next cycle that bypasses the World Cup process now, even if Kramnik doesn't win Mexico?

I'm confused.
    what it means is that FIDE didn't have the balls to say

FOFW

These regular changes to the world championship cycle seem to have a lot in common with the saying about the weather- if you dont like it, just wait five minutes till it changes.

Topalov gambled the house in Elista and lost. He was well aware of what he was going to miss out on if he lost and what he was going to gain had he won.

They had an ok cycle before deciding to change it again.

I will add another question. Anand is the current world number 1, so why is so much attention being paid to Topalov? Couldnt have anything to do with the fact that the Bulgarian Chess Federation keep bitching all the time. Maybe the Indian Chess Federation should start doing the same.

Thread Information