2 50.00%
  • Drawn series (Australia retain) [CORRECT]

0 0%
  • England by one match [nope]

2 50.00%
  • England by two or more matches [not possible]

0 0%
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    All this muttering to yourselves and generally taking the piss about my countrymen is simply not on
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    All this muttering to yourselves and generally taking the piss about my countrymen is simply not on
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Why would we take the piss about aussies?

I only mentioned the geordies cos I on several occasions played chess for the tykes against the geordies in Newcastle (upon Tyne not under Lyne).

And they weren't drinking Newcastle Brown mate. I think they called it black and tan.

CC FIDE Master

you bragging lot

Australia has the ashes
    Giles must go home
    with Jones in his suitcase
    suck suck suck
    6/551 DECLARED
    and you lose!!!

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    qpawn, like Freddy F, I fear that you have declared somewhat prematurely!

England can still actually win the series 3-2 by winning in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.

They can also retain the Ashes by tying the series 2-2, ie with two wins in the three remaining games, and either a draw or a tie in one of them

Interesting was Richie Benaud's comment late in the English first innings that he wouldn't declare whilst any of the batsmen were at the crease (ie Pieterson, Flintoff, Jones) as runs in the second innings were going to be harder to come by than in the first.

Flintoff declared whilst he, himself, was still at the crease, and the team only 6 wickets down.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    qpawn, like Freddy F, I fear that you have declared somewhat prematurely!

England can still actually win the series 3-2 by winning in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.

They can also retain the Ashes by tying the series 2-2, ie with two wins in the three remaining games, and either a draw or a tie in one of them
    Are you serious? If you are, then I'd like to bet that England neither draw nor win the series. Say $1000?

Interesting was Richie Benaud's comment late in the English first innings that he wouldn't declare whilst any of the batsmen were at the crease (ie Pieterson, Flintoff, Jones) as runs in the second innings were going to be harder to come by than in the first.

Flintoff declared whilst he, himself, was still at the crease, and the team only 6 wickets down.
    I think all the second-guessing of the declaration is a bit silly. England declared at a good time, and managed to pick up an aussie wicket before stumps on the second day. My feeling at the time was that they had batted for too long, and that the game would probably be drawn. It'd be nice from a captain's perspective if his team had scored more quickly, say an extra 100 by the same time, but how many days should they bat before declaring? 3? Better to declare late in the day and try to take a wicket or two before stumps (which they did) than get another 50 runs and put Australia in at the start of day 3. England's loss in this game was a total disgrace, but it's superficial to blame it on the declaration.
    meep meep

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    England's loss in this game was a total disgrace, but it's superficial to blame it on the declaration.
    I agree the declaration was not bad though Freddy should have thrown the bat a little more vigourously before calling it quits. Perhaps he was in two minds at the time as to whether to declare or play on.

The problem and the reason England lost was bad batting on the last day. If they had played more naturally they should have drawn easily. For some reason they went entirely into the shell and let our bowlers do as they like.

Also their bowling in the 4th innings was ordinary, particularly Giles. They should ditch him and play Monty on a pitch that is going to turn. Flintoff's bowling in the last session was good but he could only bowl from one end and I believe he also has a sore ankle.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master
    It's true that England lost through poor batting and (according to ACT radio commentary, haven't seen the video) poor umpiring decisions, but the reality is that those things happen and declaring the first innings put them within range of losing if/when it did.

I've never seen the point of declaring a first innings except in specific cases where there was clearly more to lose than gain by batting on, like being eight or nine down at 5pm or rain being forecast later in the match. If you don't need extra runs you can always declare your second innings instead, and you enhance the chances of a follow-on by getting more runs. If England had batted on and scored another 50 they wouldn't have lost, if they scored another 120 they would have had a good chance of winning. You wouldn't decline to pick up a free piece just because your good Knight v bad Bishop gives you a clear advantage already.

It seems to just be automatic that teams declare mid-way through the last session on day 2 to make the match more interesting, because it would annoy the sponsors to have the match finish with eight sessions of the opposition blocking to save an unwinnable match, rather than because it is tactically sound.

Hi Manny
    I see you have just added your vote. Are you absolutely sure you don't need more data before you rush in?

Hi Steve
    Re: your vote. Har de ha ha!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

When England win it is because everything goes right.

When England lose it is because they are England.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    When England win it is because everything goes right.

When England lose it is because they are England.
    When England win ... this place is deserted.

CC FIDE Master

in all seriousness

When all my gloating is said and done I do have some admiration and sympathy for that other quaint and distant country.

Fred Flintoff did the work of about ten men ; he tried till he was footsore and then tried some more. If the man of the match award was for effort and sheer guts there would be no contest: Flintoff for sure. Whatever the team changes he must continue as captain; he reminds me of Ian Botham becuase Flintoff is always going to make something happen. I also thought that Collingwood's dbl century was a fantastic piece of skill made sadder by the immortalisation of an unwanted category: dbl centurions in a losing side.

Flintoff did everything he could. It's the selectors who should be slammed. Jones a better bat than Reid???? Monty Pannesar not given a chance to spin the ball like Shane Warne managed to??? Picking Giles for batting down the order? What the heck?

No. It's not over. If Monty can be a better spinner than Giles [ how could Monty be worse???] then you never know; but clearly the arithmetic favours the home side now.

freddy plays chess?

During the lunch break of the last day in Adelaide, they presented a short special on Freddy Flintoff on Ch 9. They showed a picture of him when he was maybe 8-9 yo playing Chess .
    When they come to Melbourne I 'll find out if he still plays!
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by heaviestknight
    During the lunch break of the last day in Adelaide, they presented a short special on Freddy Flintoff on Ch 9. They showed a picture of him when he was maybe 8-9 yo playing Chess .
    When they come to Melbourne I 'll find out if he still plays!
    Cheers and good luck!
    Yes, the matter of Flintoff playing chess as a boy got a bit of a run around the time of the last Ashes series. I recall some extravagent claims were made (not by him) which were not backed up by a search of tournament records.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Yes, the matter of Flintoff playing chess as a boy got a bit of a run around the time of the last Ashes series. I recall some extravagent claims were made (not by him) which were not backed up by a search of tournament records.
    And Jim Maxwell said on the ABC commentary on the fifth day words to the effect that, apart from chess, cricket is the only game in which the result can be an exciting draw.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information