Dorothy Dibley Shield?

Does anyone know what the current status of the Dorothy Dibley Shield is? Is it being run this year? A while ago I heard a rumour that it was going to be run in real time over an internet chess server, which to me sounds like a definite improvement over the outdated 'telechess' system.

/jef

CC Grandmaster
    I asked Alan Goldsmith, who organises the SA team, about what was happening with it a couple of weeks ago and he said it was going to be run.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrei
    Does anyone know what the current status of the Dorothy Dibley Shield is? Is it being run this year? A while ago I heard a rumour that it was going to be run in real time over an internet chess server, which to me sounds like a definite improvement over the outdated 'telechess' system.

/jef
    The Dorothy Dibley ran last year on the internet. It was a fantastic improvement. Unfortunately WA only played one match and then found themselves unable to find a place with computers. Vic never got around to organising a match and Qld were also without a DD organiser last year, so it was a very depleted competition. However the response from ACT, NSW and SA was very enthusiastic about the new format.

I had heard a rumour that Chris Depasquale was organising Vic this year?

The ACT is currently without a DD organiser, but it is hoped that all states will participate this year.

Yes, last year the DD shield was run on Alan Goldsmith's 'ICON' chess server.. It's such a pity that the server is devoid of life now because I used to log on there for many years, made many friends and played some good chess. But it needs people to log on and stay on to thrive, just like a BB I guess.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Thread Information