Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 181
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    70

    Thumbs down City of Sydney Championship

    I would like to express my disappointment that such a drastic change was made to the format of the city of sydney championship, changing it from one game a day to two games a day. While I acknowledge that it was maybe necessary to accomodate other tournaments as there is a quite crowded schedule this year, I feel the change introduced has only served to cheapen the status of an important tournament.

    In addition, as far as I am aware no one saw fit to look into whether the players themselves were interested in playing a tournament which (except the final day) could last from 11am to potentially 7pm, or even later.

    Although this will no doubt please some chessnuts who can think of nothing better to do with their weekend than just play chess anyway, I can't help thinking that other people who are not quite so single-minded may be unenthusiastic about the prospect, especially those with families. While I myself am a relatively active chessplayer, the format of the tournament is such that I consider it is only a barely feasible option for me to play. I suspect that the playing schedule will disaffect those of us who think that having to play two (usually) quite long chess games in one day for four consecutive sundays is a tad unreasonable.
    Last edited by samspade; 07-05-2004 at 09:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    In addition, as far as I am aware no one saw fit to look into whether the majority of players themselves were interested in playing a tournament which (excluding the final day) could last from 11am to potentially 7pm, or even later.
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    I suspect that the playing schedule will disaffect those of us who think that having to play two (usually) quite long chess games in one day for four consecutive sundays is a tad unreasonable.
    Hey, Sam. You would have loved the daily schedule for the NSWCA 2004 Australia Day Weekender! (Registration plus 3 rounds of 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move per player on the Saturday followed by 3 rounds of 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move per player and Presentation on the Sunday!). On Sunday the first round for the day (round 4 of the tournament) started at 9.30am and the Presentation finished around 11.30pm - 14 hours in total!

    By comparison, the daily attendance requirement for players for the 2004 City of Sydney is short!!!
    Last edited by Paul S; 21-02-2004 at 08:08 AM.

  3. #3
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Sam Spade,

    I am not replying as an official of the NSWCA but as an ordinary member.

    I fully understand your disappointment that the CSC format has changed to something that may not be some players' cup or tea. I too get disappointed when things change away from something that was working fine for me. However, the NSWCA has done two highly responable things this year:

    1. Run an in depth survey sent to all members, on "what players want".
    2. Put its faith in Ralph Sebry as the Tournament Coordinator.

    I do not want to put words in Ralph's mouth but it is safe to say that his mission statement goes something like this: Provide a large variety of chess events because not every style suits every player.

    The NSWCA puts on more events and of a greater variety than any other state. Surely one of them - grade matches, NSW C/ship, weekenders, rapids et cetera - fits your style? Nevertheless, if you would like to add another to our calender, you will be heartily greeted and supported in a number of ways to make it a successful event.

  4. #4
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,166
    What Matt says is completely correct.

    It was however decided last year prior to Ralph being elected at the AGM to try a different format for the City of Sydney.
    The format for this year is based on a successful format used in 1995. The only difference then was it was played over 6 weekends not 5 and was 11 rounds not 9. It was played at the City bowling club opposite Hyde park and ran from 10am in the monring to 6.30pm in the evening. The time limit was 40 in 90 mins then 30 mins to finish. 80 players competed over 2 divisions. The top division had 42 players, the U1600 event 38.

    1992 7 rounds with 63 players over 4 division.
    1993 7 rounds with 80 players over 4 divisions. The Open and U1800 was run on Sundays, the U1600 and U1400 on Saturdays.
    1994 7 rounds with 94 players over 4 divisions. The Open and U1800 was run on Saturdays, the U1600 and U1400 on Sundays.
    1995 11 rounds over 6 Sundays. 80 players over 2 divisions.
    1996 9 rounds with 66 players over 2 divisions.
    1997 9 rounds with 58 players over 2 divisions.
    1998 9 rounds with 45 players over 1 division.
    1999 9 rounds with 60 players over 2 divisions.
    2000 9 rounds with 70 players over 2 divisions.
    2001 9 rounds with 93 players over 2 divisions.
    2002 9 rounds with 55 players over 2 divisions.
    2003 9 rounds with 60 players over 2 divisions.

  5. #5
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,166
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    While I acknowledge that it was felt that it was necessary to accomodate other tournaments as there was apparently a quite crowded schedule this year
    I do not believe that was ever a consideration at the time the decision was taken to change it to 5 weekends instead of 9. It was much later that it was decided to add additional events to the 4 weekends that then became "free".

  6. #6
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    As I see it, with longer time limit games (eg 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move per player), one round per Sunday over 9 weeks has the advantages of enabling players who are time poor (can only spare half a day a weekend playing chess) to be able to play. It also has the advantage in that players (especially those whose games finish early!) do not have to wait around killing time for the next round to start. The overall quality of chess in the tournament is higher, as players only have one game per day to concentrate on.

    Two rounds per day has the advantages of making it more worthwhile for players who live a long distance from the tournament (eg Matthew in Wollongong) to play in it, viz it makes more sense for them to travel a long distance for 2 games of chess over 5 weeks (Sundays) instead of for one game of chess over 9 weeks (Sundays). Two rounds per day has the advantages of significant cost savings on rent and DOP fees (meaning more prizemoney!).

    Overall the advantages and disadvantages of one vs two 2 rounds per day more or less cancel each other out (although I think there is a slight advantage in having 2 rounds per day).

    Therefore, IMHO it makes sense to have the City of Sydney with 2 rounds per day and the NSW Championships with one round per day (or vice versa).
    Last edited by Paul S; 21-02-2004 at 01:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    I do not want to put words in Ralph's mouth but it is safe to say that his mission statement goes something like this: Provide a large variety of chess events because not every style suits every player.
    This seems like a sensible policy. Indeed, you cannot please every chess player (and it would be foolish to try)! A bit of variety sounds good, with some tournaments with shorter time limits (1 hour per player or similar time limits) and some time tournaments with longer time limits (2 to 2.5 hours per player or similar time limits), with occasional rapidplay and lightning comps here and there.

    Having said that, I disagree with the format for this year's NSWCA Australia Day Weekender - I've already said enough on this in another thread, so I will not say any more on this matter (BTW, what happened to the emoticon for "lips sealed/no comment"?).

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    The NSWCA puts on more events and of a greater variety than any other state. Surely one of them - grade matches, NSW C/ship, weekenders, rapids et cetera - fits your style?
    I'm sure there is. As per my previous post, I suggest the NSWCA runs the NSW Championships 1 round per week over 9 weeks (ie as per last year).

  8. #8
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    While I acknowledge that it was felt that it was necessary to accomodate other tournaments as there was apparently a quite crowded schedule this year
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I do not believe that was ever a consideration at the time the decision was taken to change it to 5 weekends instead of 9. It was much later that it was decided to add additional events to the 4 weekends that then became "free".
    That is my recollection aswell (I was on last year's NSWCA Council).
    Last edited by Paul S; 21-02-2004 at 01:51 PM.

  9. #9
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    I would just like to say that this year's format really doesnt suit me at all. I am in year 11 this year and i try to get all my work done during the weekends. I have sport every Saturday for school and that takes up quite a few hours. If i play in this year's City of Sydney i would have no time left to do any work on Sunday. Also i feel that playing two games a day in such an important tournament doesnt suit me. I have decided not to play in this year's City of Sydney as a result.

  10. #10
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Forevergm
    I would just like to say that this year's format really doesnt suit me at all. I am in year 11 this year and i try to get all my work done during the weekends. I have sport every Saturday for school and that takes up quite a few hours. If i play in this year's City of Sydney i would have no time left to do any work on Sunday.
    Poor poor didums It must be quite a shock to a tender 16 year old to find out that you can't do everything. Welcome to the real world.
    Last edited by PHAT; 21-02-2004 at 03:19 PM.

  11. #11
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Poor poor didums It must be quite a shock to a tender 16 year old to find out that you can't do everything. Welcome to the real world.
    Thats why i have decided against defending my City of Sydney title and instead spend the 8-10 hours at home.

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    The proposed format is superior to the 9-week one (see Paulie's above). Next step: a 5-day State Champs!

    AR

  13. #13
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Forevergm
    Thats why i have decided against defending my City of Sydney title and instead spend the 8-10 hours at home.
    Actually, that is not a good excuse, let alone a reason.

    (90m/30sec + travelling time[15m*2]) * 9 sundays = 40.50 hours over 9 weeks

    (11am to 8pm + travel) * 4 +
    (11am to 3pm + travel) * 1 = 41.25 hours over 5 weeks

    It certainly be the extra 45 minutes keeping you away

    Just say that you can manage your chess time but you cannot manage your life.

    You see, few if any, adults take schoolies seriously when they complain about having a 25 hour day. Wait until you have to start full time work, and living out of home. Before then, there is no excuse for not defending your title.

  14. #14
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Actually, that is not a good excuse, let alone a reason.

    (90m/30sec + travelling time[15m*2]) * 9 sundays = 40.50 hours over 9 weeks

    (11am to 8pm + travel) * 4 +
    (11am to 3pm + travel) * 1 = 41.25 hours over 5 weeks

    It certainly be the extra 45 minutes keeping you away

    Just say that you can manage your chess time but you cannot manage your life.

    You see, few if any, adults take schoolies seriously when they complain about having a 25 hour day. Wait until you have to start full time work, and living out of home. Before then, there is no excuse for not defending your title.
    Give him a break Matt - he's only a kid. He will learn, but at the moment life probably does fell very stressful.

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,405
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Give him a break Matt - he's only a kid. He will learn, but at the moment life probably does fell very stressful.
    any person regardless of age who gives their opinion on how a tournament should be run and why they didnt play then deserves to have their opinion challenged.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Desperate and dateless: NSW Club Teams
    By PHAT in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 13-04-2004, 06:02 PM
  2. I.M. Chess Coach visiting Sydney. Coaching available.
    By Javier Gil in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 05:51 AM
  3. Places to play in Sydney and Melboune?
    By Hugh_Brodie in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:51 PM
  4. howler of the championship
    By Garvinator in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-01-2004, 04:41 PM
  5. Frequent Updates of Championship Results
    By adelaideuni in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 08:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •