Thread: mt wellington

mt wellington

this will be for kevin i believe, i have noticed on pay tv on the weather channel that it always seems to be really cold at mt wellington, how come

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quite aside from being as far south as we are, the summit of Mt Wellington is 1271 metres above sea level. The weather station is quite close to the summit. And the readings don't tell the full story because the real killer up there isn't the cold but the wind. A friend and I went up in the middle of the night one summer and attempted the walk from the summit car park to the trig at the actual summit. The walk is about 50 metres. The wind was so bad we simply physically could not do it, and a pair of sunglasses I was carrying blew out of my jacket pocket and were never seen again.

Mt W is not actually that cold by local mountain standards. It didn't even get glaciated during the last glaciation, whereas many smaller mountains did. The coldest weather station is Liawenee on the Central Plateau where it sometimes gets down to -12 to -15, but still not as cold as in the Alps (eg Perisher Valley).
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information