Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC International Master

be very very afraid

read the following report.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/...ate_Change.pdf

If this does not scare you nothing will.

CC FIDE Master

matters have got worse

Jesus . Things have got worse. The Club of Rome, a group of intellectuals including Bob Hawke, once predicted in the 80s that if nothing was done about the environmant then the human race would die out by 2050 due to wars over resources etc.

Seems we have only 15 years now. The speech that was given in 1992 by the Governor general of Victoria was accurate; he said at my senior sch0ool validation that "we must learn to learn to live simply so that others can simply live".

Of course don't rely upon rodent to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by qpawn
    The Club of Rome, a group of intellectuals including Bob Hawke, once predicted in the 80s that if nothing was done about the environmant then the human race would die out by 2050 due to wars over resources etc.
    Wars over resources have been waged by the US for some time now. They are just a little bit subtle.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC FIDE Master

yes

I wouldn't argue with that.

The Texan must have his oil. The American God of home heating must be satisfied; it is an angry God that attacks the seats of congressmen with the oil doesn't arrive on time.

CC FIDE Master

pathetic

What a pathetic performance by John Howard in paliamnet today. The best response that he could conjure up about refusing to sign the Kyoto protocol was that India and China didn't sign up so why should we bother?

If you were to follow that argumant to its logical conclusion:

- human rights treaties often have countries who don't sign up. Therefore we should never have signed these treaties. To hell with human rights.

- nuclear non proliferation treaty still doesn't include India amongst others. To hell with this issue; let every mongrel dog of a country have oits nukes.

- Anzus treaty. Hell. How is a group of five countries going to defend each other. How pathetic. It should never have been signed.

- United Nations. It would never have gone beyond its prototype of The League of Nations. Not everyone signed up to that. To hell with the whole mechanism of the security council that, for all its US bias, at least gives some hope of peaceful outcomes in disputes. Yeah. Let's go back to how things used to be. If you liked your neighbour's land you just sent some tanks over and grabbed it.

John Winston Howard is the dumbest politician who has somehow managed to gain [primeministership of this country. His argument against signing the Kyoto protocol is the dumbest thing I have ever heard come out of any politician's mouth. And considering the fierce competeition for that title from Messrs Tuckey, Abbott and Downer that is really saying something.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Interesting how global warming concern has just become extremely trendy in the last three months or so, like it's the new African famine or something. How long til there's a Climate Aid festival for rock music hasbeens to get all self-important about an issue they do not understand in public?
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC FIDE Master

hunka hunka

If Elvis is gonna return from the dead man, then it is gonna happen at the climate chnage festival . I just have this feeling..you know it's freaking me out. Elvis has been kept in a secret dungeon by the CIA for the last 20 years. He has been force fed a diet of mind-altering hamburgers. A CIA traitor, disgusted with Bush, has obtained Elvis's genes and made a clone to unleash upon the world.

It's ELVIS! THE KING!

What's the first thing he would say?
    "Hunka hunka burgers just don't taste the wya they used to".

Elvis just told me to get my facts right: "20 years man, nowa y can you do taht to the king".

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Interesting how global warming concern has just become extremely trendy in the last three months or so, like it's the new African famine or something. How long til there's a Climate Aid festival for rock music hasbeens to get all self-important about an issue they do not understand in public?
    Sadly though BonHomie, no amount of money will assuage this particualr problem.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    no amount of money will assuage this particualr problem.
    I don't agree. Costs will be very significant and may become more so depending on the pace (or lack) of action, but projections of econo-environmental doomery have typically been exaggerated in the past and I am confident they will be this time too ... unless the current hyping results in a backlash in which people soon grow tired of the issue and start to dismiss it altogether.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    very very scary, a whole 29 pages
    drink plenty of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I don't agree. Costs will be very significant and may become more so depending on the pace (or lack) of action, but projections of econo-environmental doomery have typically been exaggerated in the past and I am confident they will be this time too ... unless the current hyping results in a backlash in which people soon grow tired of the issue and start to dismiss it altogether.
    I beg to differ... for instance, the Australian economy seems, at the moment, to be booming! Yet people like myself live in an area where it looks very much like we will run out of drinking water in the middle of next year.

My argument was that no matter how much money is spent, the water won't return of its own accord due to increased rainfall. No amount of money can seriously hope to influence rainfall, so it doesn't matter if we have successive budget surplusses if we can't get the water to the areas that really need it! And if we can't get the water to the areas that need it, then we are in a seriously deep hole both environmentally and economically.

Just my thoughts.

An example of the sceptical replies to the Stern report

Naturally I don't endorse replies like this or the original report; have not studied the issue in enough detail to comment. But anyone who is convinced that the Stern report is likely to be accurate should know enough to be able to explain why sceptical replies like the one above are wrong. Anyone?

I don't understand, what exactly are you saying Mr Bonham... is it based on the concept of "My State's Got Water so everything must be ok in the rest of the world?"

Ironically, the 'crackpot' theories thesedays seem to be less and less those about Global Warming and more and more related to those who deny Global Warming in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence.

Are you saying that you deny global warming Kevin?

Would you like to visit Lake Epallock and magically fill it with your denial? If you can, then you are more than welcome to try... I am sure the local farmers would hug and kiss you for your efforts!

If you can't, then exactly what are you trying to argue? That everyone is imagining things?

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    I don't understand, what exactly are you saying Mr Bonham... is it based on the concept of "My State's Got Water so everything must be ok in the rest of the world?"
    Now c'mon EE, fair's fair. Kevin didn't say (or imply) anything of the sort. However, he did say:
    - that he doesn't endorse the comments, and
    - he doesn't have sufficient info to comment.

Howie make you feel better. Go and have a look at my rating!

Go and have a lie down (not with me) NTTAWWT Tennis anyone? Pineapple?
    Last edited by Basil; 06-11-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Howard, to be fair, why should I be fair on KB, he has most certainly not been fair on me in the past! (Quite the contrary in fact!)

Furthermore, I can't be bothered reading any links that rugger posts, so I automatically assumed he was referring to my reply as the 'one above'... and if you read it as that you will see where I am coming from. So blah!

Thread Information