Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

I love the endgame!

Hi. I seriously think my endgame is improving by alot. In this game, I am on the losing end of rook and bishop vs. two bishops. Black made silly repetitive moves in this game to try to win on time but my aggressive king won through!

(224) Zwichenzug (1643) - Papllonsg (1457) [b]A22]
    Rated game, 15m + 1s Café, 27.10.2006
    PGN Viewer

[Edit] Now that I think about it, I might have lost in the end if black grabbed the open file with his rook.
    Last edited by Zwischenzug; 27-10-2006 at 10:04 AM.

You had mate in 2 with 33.Qxh7
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    You are right, it didn't occur to me to give up my queen.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I might seem dum for asking this, but, I cannot see it?
    Sorry, see it now.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EGOR
    I might seem dum for asking this, but, I cannot see it?
    Sorry, see it now.
    Yes, its 33. Qxh7 Kxh7 34. Rh4#

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwichenzug
    Hi. I seriously think my endgame is improving by alot. In this game, I am on the losing end of rook and bishop vs. two bishops.
    I don't think you were really losing that ending at all. You had compensation for the exchange in the form of a passed pawn and black's very bad bishop. Black had no need to give back the exchange though; perhaps he was scared and trying for the draw? (44...Ra8 for Black is OK.)
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Kevin. Now that you have seen a few more of my games, would 1400 be a good estimate for my strength?

Hi Kevin. Now that you have seen a few more of my games, would 1400 be a good estimate for my strength?
    IMO, you are less than 1400. Maybe closer to 1200. It is of course very hard to tell from a handful of rapid internet games.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

I can't say that accurately from rapid games. I get the impression that while you play some nice attacks and seem to have a reasonable idea in the endgame, you still miss a lot more one-move tactics than even the average aggressive 1400. I'd think 1300, but remember that ratings are based on performance in slower time control games and without several of those it is impossible to say.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I can't say that accurately from rapid games. I get the impression that while you play some nice attacks and seem to have a reasonable idea in the endgame, you still miss a lot more one-move tactics than even the average aggressive 1400. I'd think 1300, but remember that ratings are based on performance in slower time control games and without several of those it is impossible to say.
    What time control is good, 30 min? 45 min? 1 hour? Are there any good places to play slower games online (besides correspondence chess, a bit too slow for me). As for my tactics, I am often so preoccupied with looking for combinations that I miss simple one move tactics.
    Last edited by Zwischenzug; 27-10-2006 at 10:18 PM.

What time control is good, 30 min? 45 min? 1 hour? Are there any good places to play slower games online (besides correspondence chess, a bit too slow for me).
    Both FICS and ICC host a group called the STC (Slow Time Control) Bunch in channel 90 where like minded people meet to play longer time control games.

Also both sites have versions of a 45 45 team league.

What time control is good, 30 min? 45 min? 1 hour? Are there any good places to play slower games online (besides correspondence chess, a bit too slow for me). As for my tactics, I am often so preoccupied with looking for combinations that I miss simple one move tactics.
    For rated games it has to be >=1 hr or something similar, eg 30 or 40 mins plus 30 secs per move.

I don't really follow online sites so can't say. I understand slow time limits are pretty uncommon online, unless they are very slow (CC).

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    For rated games it has to be >=1 hr or something similar, eg 30 or 40 mins plus 30 secs per move.

I don't really follow online sites so can't say. I understand slow time limits are pretty uncommon online, unless they are very slow (CC).
    Do you recommend correspondence chess on this forum as an alternative?

Do you recommend correspondence chess on this forum as an alternative?
    Yes. However a rating ultimately measures performance under controlled tournament conditions so if you want to play well under such conditions, there is no substitute for experience under the same conditions.

Some players are rather good at CC but relative duffers OTB.

Find out if there's a chess club in your area and when they meet then go and check them out.

Thread Information