Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

A word of caution

In the scenario that the military coup remains in force at the time of the Tournament, intending players (and officials) might want to check on the matter of insurance.

I could be wrong but most travel insurance policies would not cover an incident during a military coup, when prior travel alert warnings have issued.

In addition, policy exclusions on life insurance cover might also apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Chow
    In the scenario that the military coup remains in force at the time of the Tournament, intending players (and officials) might want to check on the matter of insurance.

I could be wrong but most travel insurance policies would not cover an incident during a military coup, when prior travel alert warnings have issued.

In addition, policy exclusions on life insurance cover might also apply.
    Insurance companies will find any excuse to not pay up (or pay less), so be wary.

(Can you believe I got charged an AGE excess when my car was stolen? Like that's relevant...).
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    How old was your car?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    How old was your car?
    It was old old that one.. 1983!! I couldn't believe anyone actually knicked it.. an old Ford Laser. I got back possibly more than it was worth but still resented the 'age excess' on a theft.

(btw EE, played Discworld yet? Please say yes, would feel guilty otherwise..!)
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

The current travel advisory for Fiji is reconsider your need to travel.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Fiji

From watching alot of the media reports from the coup leader, this status wont be changing for quite a while. If it does change, I would imagine it would only change to dont travel.

Surely the time has come for the Oceania Zonal to be moved from Fiji. I would imagine that players from the other Oceania countries might have difficulties getting visas under the current travel advisory. If things escalate further, which is likely to happen, then travel to Fiji might not be possible.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    lol, I currently drive a 1983 sedan version of the Laser, a Meteor (know anyone who wants to by it? Only 375,000km on the clock!)

I have played D/W a bit but preferred Discworld Noir, much more atmospheric.

Sadly however, this has nothing to do with Fiji... so let's try to get the topic back on track.

Will the recent acquittal verdict of the 1987 coup leader General Sitiveni Rabuka, charged for inspiring mutiny in 2000 against military leader (and current coup leader), Commodore Frank Bainimarama serve to erode the Commodore's hold over the military?

Will Bainimarama eventually find himself charged with treason? (The fate of George Speight, the now imprisoned coup leader from 2000).

In any case I hope that tensions have blown over by the time the zonal comes around.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    lol, I currently drive a 1983 sedan version of the Laser, a Meteor (know anyone who wants to by it? Only 375,000km on the clock!)

I have played D/W a bit but preferred Discworld Noir, much more atmospheric.

Sadly however, this has nothing to do with Fiji... so let's try to get the topic back on track.

Will the recent acquittal verdict of the 1987 coup leader General Sitiveni Rabuka, charged for inspiring mutiny in 2000 against military leader (and current coup leader), Commodore Frank Bainimarama serve to erode the Commodore's hold over the military?

Will Bainimarama eventually find himself charged with treason? (The fate of George Speight, the now imprisoned coup leader from 2000).

In any case I hope that tensions have blown over by the time the zonal comes around.
    Let's not suggest that the "warring" sides resolve the situation via a team chess match over so many boards ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I agree with this.

Netball world championship scheduled for Fiji in July has just been cancelled.

Chess, being a lower-profile activity, could presumably withstand a late decision ro relocate, if needed, more easily. However I hope there will be a fallback option ready if needed.
    I would assume that the reason for the netball decision was that the competition was to be held in Suva, though the Netball Association's press statement on the matter is inexcusably terse.

The Oceania Zonal is to be held in Nadi which apparently is, and was, coup free.

The organiser Dr Virgilio de Asa has sent these messages:

This latest military coup seems to be ok - no single bullet fired, no riot, no civil disobedience, and everybody just want to carry on with their normal lives. My only concern for the 2007 Oceania was the sporting ban of PM Helen Clark. I am not sure whether NZ players will be allowed to travel to Fiji during that time. So with Australia, I hope they don't impose a similar ban on Australians travelling to Fiji. We'll just have to wait and see. It's still go on our side at the present time.
    and

Thanks for your concern and offer of financial assistance towards the 2007 Oceania. Perhaps at this point in time I can safely say that the 2007 Oceania being a FIDE recognised event (I hope too that Gary can ask FIDE's stamp of approval so that it will be sanctioned as part of an international event - more specifically as a qualifying cycle for the Individual World Championship) will not be subject to any sporting ban. We can take a parallel view with the Wellington Sevens where PM Helen Clark says the Fiji Sevens Team will not be banned in coming and participating in the Wellington Sevens being an IRB sanctioned international event. This was also the case in the May 2000 coup in Fiji where a sporting ban was imposed by PM Helen Clark but the Fiji Sevens Team was allowed to play in the Wellington Sevens (Fiji winning the event!). As far as safety is concerned - Nadi is the "Tourism" capital virtually immune from previous coup (even with the nasty event of 2000 in Suva). Never mind the legality of the military takeover, people just wanted to go ahead with their lives and everybody wants to move the country forward. We've learnt our lesson from the past. And we seek your support for our sport.
    on 8 and 12 December respectively, the second one being to the NZCF which has promised $1000 unless their team is stopped from going by the NZ Government which they hope will not happen.

I rather suspect that the netball decision is panicky and premature.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Now given that the Australian Government does not recognise chess as a sport were they to apply a sporting ban similar to New Zealand's then Australian chess players should quite rightly defy it (personal safety notwithstanding) and indeed publicise that defiance to highlight the woeful lack of support chess receives in this country.

Stick with Fiji

It would be churlish to even consider taking the Zonal away from the Fiji Chess Federation because of the country's political situation, reprehensible as an illegal (albeit bloodless) coup may be. International sanctions are to be expected (preferably selective, to minimise hardship to the general population).

However it is clear that there is no conceivable safety risk to tourists and travellers. In fact it's a good time to visit - travel and accommodation deals would be very easy to find.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'm amused by the concept of a country that has a coup in one part of itself and not another. Makes me wish I'd stayed in South Pacific politics instead of switching to 19thC political thought when it was added to the roster two weeks into the term.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    It would be churlish to even consider taking the Zonal away from the Fiji Chess Federation because of the country's political situation, reprehensible as an illegal (albeit bloodless) coup may be. International sanctions are to be expected (preferably selective, to minimise hardship to the general population).

However it is clear that there is no conceivable safety risk to tourists and travellers. In fact it's a good time to visit - travel and accommodation deals would be very easy to find.
    While I think its fair to say that there isnt a high probability of violence towards tourists,to say there is NO CONCEIVABLE risk would be misleading. The long term outcome of this coup is still unclear and race riots/violent street demonstrations in Suva isnt inconceivable. Remember,most tourists will still fly into Fiji via the capital.

Im not implying that Fiji will have the level of violence that we have seen in the Solomon's,but to say that it will be "business as usual" over the next few months is in my opinion a bit misleading. Countries that have multiple coups over a period of a number of years generally become less stable and more unpredictable.

The oceania chess federation should at least have a contingency plan for an alternative host country if events turn nasty over the next few months,to not even consider the possibility that Fiji will become an inappropiate venue would be disrespectful to the players who are planning to participate.
    Is reunification possible?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82PBpw2Vg0

Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    While I think its fair to say that there isnt a high probability of violence towards tourists,to say there is NO CONCEIVABLE risk would be misleading. The long term outcome of this coup is still unclear and race riots/violent street demonstrations in Suva isnt inconceivable. Remember,most tourists will still fly into Fiji via the capital.
    Geographical note: The international airport is at Nadi (the Zonal host city), not Suva

Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    Im not implying that Fiji will have the level of violence that we have seen in the Solomon's,but to say that it will be "business as usual" over the next few months is in my opinion a bit misleading. Countries that have multiple coups over a period of a number of years generally become less stable and more unpredictable.

The oceania chess federation should at least have a contingency plan for an alternative host country if events turn nasty over the next few months,to not even consider the possibility that Fiji will become an inappropiate venue would be disrespectful to the players who are planning to participate.
    The remote possibility of civil unrest in Suva would pose as much risk as would further race riots in Sydney pose to the Australian Open in Canberra. To avoid the country for that reason is simply xenophobic.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar

Question Nausuri{Suva} doesnt have international flights?...

There is a possibility of civil unrest in the whole country...you have to keep in mind this coup is actually unpopular with many fijian islanders,not just people of indian background. I know a number of people of indian background from Fiji,and they dont take stuff like this lightly. They have had first hand experience of violence when there is a break down in law and order. Nadi and Suva are on the same island,they are about 2 hours apart...which doesnt quite make them a world away from each other.

I never said people shouldnt visit Fiji,nor that the players would be in iminent danger,but you cant discount how small Viti Levu is and how prominent the military is in relation to the size of the overall population. Hopefully the current political crisis,and it is a political crisis,will be resolved peacefully. But if it doesnt and things get violent,are you suggesting that they shouldnt even consider an alternantive venue?
    Is reunification possible?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82PBpw2Vg0

No argument in theory with the concept that an alternative standby venue is a good idea.

However in practice it's not that simple. Suitable venues for international events are pretty well restricted to hotels towards the upper end of the market. If a standby booking was to be made elsewhere (let's say Sydney, but it doesn't matter where) then commercial considerations apply. The hotel would want some sort of contra deal or a cash deposit (payable in instalments at set intervals beforehand). If Fiji does go ahead, then the hotel calls in the deal and/or deposits are forfeited. Someone has to foot the bill.

The only practical option, in my view, is that if worst comes to worst then the Zonal is cancelled. However I really can't see it coming to that.

Thread Information