Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Oceania Zonal 2007

The Oceania Zonal Championship 2007 will be held in Fiji. Here is a copy of the information note from the Fiji Chess Federation. In due course the ACF will call for applications for selection as there is one place for a man and a woman to receive accommodation but the selection is only for that purpose.

2007 OCEANIA ZONAL CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Tournament Info

Venue: Sofitel Fiji Resort & SPA
    Grand Ballroom
    Denarau, Fiji Islands

Date: 7th May - 12th May 2007

Format: Open Tournament - 9 round Swiss
    Women’s Tournament - 9 round Swiss or round robin
    (depending on the no. of entries)

Time Control: All moves in 90 minutes plus 30 second per move from
    start

Tournament Schedule:

7th May (Monday) Opening Ceremony …………… 8.30 am
    Round 1 ……………………….. 10.00 am
    Round 2 ……………………….. 5.00 pm
    8th May (Tuesday) Round 3 ……………………….. 10.00 am
    Round 4 ……………………….. 5.00 pm
    9th May (Wednesday) Round 5 ………………………. 10.00 am
    Round 6 ………………………. 5.00 pm
    10th May (Thursday) REST DAY
    11th May (Friday) Round 7 ………………………. 10.00 am
    Round 8 ………………………. 5.00 pm
    12th May (Saturday) Round 9 ………………………. 10.00 am
    Playoffs ………………………. 4.00 pm
    Closing Ceremony…………….. 6.30 pm

Accomodation: Contact Dr Virgilio de Asa to make a reservation at phones (679) 331-4450 (w)/ (679) 331-2682 (a/h) or fax (679) 330-3655. Email: virgilio_de_asa@hotmail.com. A special room rate of F$199 per room per night (includes full breakfast for two) for Ocean King Room (king bed and fold out sofa bed) or Ocean Queen Room (one queen bed and one double bed) is available on a limited period. A small family or two players can share a room (F$99.50 each with full breakfast). Normal resort rate is F$337 ++ Booking is essential thru Fiji Chess Federation. See: www.sofitelfiji.com.fj or www.accorhotels.com.fj for details on the resort.

Entry Fees:

FIDE Rating Open: Women:

2400+ Free Free
    2300+ F$150 Free
    2200+ F$200 F$100
    2100+ F$225 F$125
    2000+ F$250 F$150
    1800+ F$275 F$175
    Unrated F$300 F$200

NB: Entries will not be considered confirmed until all fees have been paid. Entry fees not paid by 30th April 2007 will incur an additional 20% surcharge.

Payment of Fees
    Payment can be made either by bankdraft made out to Fiji Chess Federation and sent to Dr Virgilio de Asa, G.P.O. Box 12408, Suva, Fiji or by direct debit into Colonial National Bank, Dominion House Branch, Suva, Fiji ( A/C No. 3104155).

Prize Fund Open: Women:
    1st $1500 $750
    2nd $1000 $500
    3rd $ 500 $250
    4th $ 300
    5th $ 200
    Best local player: $ 200 $100

NB: All prize fund is in Fiji dollars

Tournament Directors:

Mr. Jashint Maharaj (Fiji) - Chief Arbiter
    Mr Gary Bekker (Aust) - Deputy Arbiter

International Titles
    International titles will be awarded in both the Open & Women’s sections. These include an International Master (IM), two FIDE Master (FM) titles and Candidate Master (CM) titles in the Open section and Women’s International Master (WIM) and Women’s FIDE Master (WFM) titles.

FIDE Rated/World Championship Qualifier
    Both events will be FIDE rated and will serve as the final qualifying cycles for both Open and Women’s Individual World Championships.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Registration Form:

Name: …………………………………………………………………………………

Address: ………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Email: ………………………………………………………………………………….

FIDE Rating: …………………………………………………………………………

Entry Fee: ……………………………………………………………………………..

FCF Registration Fee (FCF Players Only): ………………………………………..

Donation to Assists Costs: …………………………………………………………..

SOFITEL Fiji Resort & Spa

Fiji Islands newest five-star resort was opened for business on 1st July 2006. Located in Denarau Island, about 15 minutes drive from Nadi Airport, Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa is already achieving huge recognition and popularity around the globe. It’s defining success factor is the architecture and interior design of the rooms. It also features the Stage One Spa which is luxuriously fitted out and offers tranquil garden surroundings and a new breathtaking pool complex and has truly set the resort apart from any other hotel on Denarau Island. The resort provides Internet Services in the Business Centre located next to Reception on the lobby level. Wireless hot spots are also located throughout the main public areas including the restaurants and bars. Wired access is also available in the rooms. It also offers guests the services of a Kids Club, known as the Turtle Club, which caters for children 2-12 years old.

DR. VIRGILIO DE ASA
    President, FCF
    Chairman, Organizing Committee

I would hope that there will be a strong turn-out of Australian players as we are the top country in the Zone.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Hello Denis,

I freely acknowledge with my following question that you are not on the organising committee, but still I think it should be asked.

The FIDE Presidential Board accepted the proposal of ACP for a single time control for all major FIDE events: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.

The list of FIDE events where this single time control will be used:
    Chess Olympiads
    World Team Championships
    Continental Team Championships
    World Cup
    Continental Championships
    Zonal Tournaments
    World Youth & Junior Championships
    Continental Youth & Junior Championships
    World School Championships
    Continental Club Championships

Regarding the proposal of the ACP for the single time control, Mr. Makropoulos said that Candidates Matches and World Championship Tournament are not included in the above list, as in these tournaments a 7 hours time control is used.
    Since this is a zonal tournament, shouldnt the recently approved time control of: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one be used ???

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Hello Denis,

I freely acknowledge with my following question that you are not on the organising committee, but still I think it should be asked.

Since this is a zonal tournament, shouldnt the recently approved time control of: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one be used ???
    Hi Garvin

I've looked again at the FIDE minutes and it would seem that the FIDE decision comes into effect straight away. So it would also seem that the new time limit should apply to this Zonal Tournament. I'll raise the matter with Gary Bekker who is the Oceania Zonal President and so finally responsible for the running of the event.

DJ

PS As of 10.30pm I have sent an e-mail to Gary asking about it.
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 10-10-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    PS As of 10.30pm I have sent an e-mail to Gary asking about it.
    Gary might reply by the start of November

Gary might reply by the start of November
    Don't be so cynical, Garvin but I covered the bases by writing also to the Fiji Association President. I've just had a reply from him confirming that they will change the time limits to conform with FIDE's decision. There is probably a need to reschedule the rounds and that is being looked into.

Thanks for raising this as it could have been embarrassing if it hadn't been picked up quickly.

DJ

Don't be so cynical, Garvin
    me cynical, never

but I covered the bases by writing also to the Fiji Association President.
    You still didnt say that you got a reply back from Gary

I've just had a reply from him confirming that they will change the time limits to conform with FIDE's decision. There is probably a need to reschedule the rounds and that is being looked into.

Thanks for raising this as it could have been embarrassing if it hadn't been picked up quickly.
    with pick ups like this, I should nominate for an acf position, maybe deputy president

<snip>
    You still didnt say that you got a reply back from Gary

<snip>
    I always seek to tell the truth or to imply it.

DJ

With the continual and increasing political instability in Fiji and travel warnings out from the Australian Government, shouldnt there be concerns raised over holding the Oceania Zonal in Fiji in May next year?

I suspect that the tournament might have to be moved to another location, if this is the case, better off starting now.

CC Grandmaster
    With the continual and increasing political instability in Fiji and travel warnings out from the Australian Government, shouldnt there be concerns raised over holding the Oceania Zonal in Fiji in May next year?

I suspect that the tournament might have to be moved to another location, if this is the case, better off starting now.
    When will the zonal come to Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    2009 maybe if someone is going to organise it

CC International Master
    Why do you care? Surely you don't want a soft title
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by bergil
    Why do you care? Surely you don't want a soft title
    LoL. I would not get it anyway. So far this year, i have not played a single game against a player rated above 2200 i think i forgot how to move the pieces

LoL. I would not get it anyway. So far this year, i have not played a single game against a player rated above 2200 i think i forgot how to move the pieces
    of course if you did qualify for the im title from a zonal, you would accept it

I think the Fijians are timing this fairly well. If they have their coup or sack the Armed Forces Chief now everything should have settled down by next May. They probably don't have enough bullets to last until May anyway.

DJ

I think the Fijians are timing this fairly well. If they have their coup or sack the Armed Forces Chief now everything should have settled down by next May. They probably don't have enough bullets to last until May anyway.

DJ
    While this post did get a chuckle, I was actually being serious in raising this concern.

Thread Information