Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Diocese?

Eclecticus I didn't know you were ecclesiasticus too!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Top Priority!!!

Dear All

http://www20.sbs.com.au/podcasting/i...did=21&catid=1
    Click on the above, and listen to interesting comments of chessplayers on the "Is Chess A Sport Question"! Please rate the segment as your participation contributes to SBS getting interested about Chess! CAGLES.... It's the top segment with the carved Chess pieces illustration! Cheers!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Sally Yu, current Girls U18 Australian Chess Champion, winner of many competitions and titles, with an ever increasing collection of trophies is a tough competitor whose playing style is characterised by what could be described as artisticly aggressive. “I make up my own things!” was her comment when I once asked her how she approaches each phase of the game. Sally, despite her very young age is a popular personality at the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club where, apart from her playing in competitions, she participates in various other activities including coaching and administration. The following is an exclusive interview with Sally for the Chess Chat Forum.

Sally, welcome and thanks for accepting to do this interview! Last week you were very busy with your school work, how did it go?

It was okay I managed to get it done in time so i can enjoy the holidays now.

Apparently, you are one of the best students at school! Is academic excellence part of your personal goals?

Who said i was a good student ? Yeah, i am trying to do well at school and get the best grades i can!

Is your school performance a factor in deciding how much time you spend on chess, sports and other hobbies?

Not really to me... but to my mum, yes.

How difficult do you find it to combine Chess playing at a high level with studying at school?

It's not too bad yet, as im only in year 10 and there isnt much work. Im planning to go to quite a few tournaments this year before year 11 and 12, where i wont be able to go to as many.

What is it like to have the president of a Chess Club as a mum?

hahahahahaha hmmm... it was pretty embarrassing at times, but im glad that, despite not being able to play chess, she still takes interest in what I like to do.

Sally, you have already represented Australia, Victoria and of course Box Hill /Canterbury Juniors Chess Club in numerous occasions . Tell us a few things about your international career.

It's great to have to opportunity to represent Australia. I love to travel and on top of being a great experience, international tournaments are always a lot of fun

My best tournament overseas would either be the World Youth Championships 2006 in Georgia, where i came =15th in the Girls u12, or the same tournament a year later in Turkey where i came =23rd but beat a lot of higher rated opponents.

How many times have you travelled overseas for chess related occasions?

I have travelled overseas 6 times for chess tournaments. I've been to France, Georgia, Turkey, Vietnam, Dubai and New Zealand.

Which country is connected with your best experience and memories?

Every country that i went to, i had amazing experiences. The best was probably New Zealand, but the others are certainly up there as well!

How many languages do you speak or understand?

I can speak and understand English and Cantonese. I can also understand a bit of Mandarin. I'm learning German at school and I'll be going to Germany at the end of the year

Who was your first Chess mentor?

My dad and my brother (Ed. Derek Yu who due to his VCE studies plays very little, if any, chess this year) taught me how to move the pieces and i would sit in and listen while David Cordover coached my brother. I can't remember exactly who my first private chess mentor was :S

Did you grow up in Chess playing surroundings?

Definitely! Both my brother and my dad loved to play chess, so i would watch and play against them. Striving to beat my brother was always my reason and motivator to play chess when i was little.

How much support did you have by your family?

I had a lot of support from my family. My parents drove me to chess tournaments everywhere and let me play chess interstate. They always encouraged me to do my best

Who, according to your opinion is Australia’s most promising young player? (yourself not included here!

Maybe Bobby Cheng or Laurence Matheson?

What’s the future of chess in Victoria in terms of participation and strength? How do you compare it with the rest of the country?

I think Victoria is one of the strongest Junior States in Australia! Many other states underestimate us, but we have a large group of strong juniors such as Bobby Cheng, Chris Wallis, Eugene Schon, Cedric Antolis (the recent u18 Australian Champion), James Morris, Laurence Matheson, Justin Tan, Isaac Ng, and Anurag Sannidhanam. We also have a few good girl players now, as Luthien Russell has moved to Victoria!
    I think that Victoria is definitely a strong state. In my opinion, Victoria has the 2 strongest chess schools in Australia: Scotch College - Zhigen Lin, Eugene Schon, Derek Yu, Nicholas Liu and Richard Owen; and Balwyn High - Chris Wallis, Bobby Cheng, Samuel Dalton, Josh Dalton and Zhong Hao Gan.

Would you also be kind enough to share with us your favourite game? The one you really enjoyed playing from the beginning to the end? (make sure it isn’t our Ballarat encounter

I had many enjoyable games at my World Youth Championships as the stakes were higher, so winning a game felt great
    However, I think my favourite game was against George Zuprudsky a few years ago. My rating was only around 1200. I sacked my queen for a nice mate with only a bishop and knight. To avoid the mate, he had to lose his rook and he resigned when i trapped his bishop on f8. I think it was the first time i had ever beaten a player over 2000.

Is your present rating representative of your real strength?

Maybe, but i hope not. I hope i can keep improving

How important was (and still is) Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club in the development of your chess career?

Box Hill Chess Club was and is the only chess club i have ever played at. It is a great club and without it, i may not have started playing chess at all.

Favourite writer(s)

Matthew Reilly

Favourite sport

Waterpolo, Hockey, Netball and Athletics

Favourite film

Death at a Funeral

favourite tv show

Family Guy! by far the best tv show ever

Sally Yu, thanks for your time!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC Grandmaster
    Death is Funeral is indeed a great movie
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Family Guy is the best show ever

Giggity

latest

Sally's interview was proved to be very successful!
    Movements on my current list of interviewees:
    Cedric and Alana have not yet responded.
    Lawrence Matheson politely declined due to his overload of school work
    the next interview will be with one of the greatest players Australia has ever produced!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    the next interview will be with one of the greatest players Australia has ever produced!
    Me!

Sorry; I couldn't resist! The background to this is that jak sent me interview questions about the Aus Junior about two months ago. I was a little surprised by this as there was no indication it was coming, and it took me a while to get around to answering, but finally here it is!

The general chess community has been pleasantly surprised that Tasmania will be the host state for the Australian Junior 2010 in Hobart. Did Tassie authorities, interested parties etc have this decision pending for a long time?
    The TCA has been looking at trying to host a national event for several years now, and we have frequently been encouraged by various ACF and now AUSJCL figures to do so. We started serious planning for putting a bid together for this event specifically at the start of 2008.

What were the main pro and against factors in making the decision?
    We didn't really frame it in terms of "what are the arguments for and against doing this now?" It was more in the form of "we know we want to do this, is it practical and can we really commit to doing it?" In several previous years, when the TCA got to that question, the answer was always "not sure" so we didn't go ahead, because there's no point putting in a bid that's not a proper effort. Now we strongly believe that hosting the event will be viable and we know we have the people to do it.

As you state in your announcement in the official Chess Chat thread it has been a very long time since the State undertook such a huge responsibility. What makes you guys think that you can be as successful as other states after such a long gap?
    We are not aiming to compete with other states but to do the best job we can, and hopefully it will be judged a success, and also because of where it is it will be something a bit different. Having said that, Russell Horton and Mellissa Harvey have both been to multiple recent Australian Juniors so they have an excellent idea of what to expect, what works, what we should try doing differently, what should be added. Of course, we are bound by the AUSJCL's requirements for the tournament format, and we know the AUSJCL believes it is too early to roll out a new format yet (with this probably the last such event in the current format), so we won't be doing anything radically different. And we are all in contact with AUSJCL people who have worked very hard on previous Australian Juniors, so the repository of experience is there to help us as we need it (and for that we're very grateful!)

As a location, we have the advantage that Hobart is a small and compact city that is much easier and cheaper to get about in than some. Also there is the novelty of the location and the strengths of Tasmania as a tourism destination - we hope that accompanying parents will see it as not just chess for their children, but also as something of a holiday for them. I'm already aware that at least one delegation intends coming down a few days early to travel around the state a bit.

We know that just getting from the venue to accommodation has been a major headache in some previous Australian Juniors, but in Hobart this will be very much easier. With relatively cheap accommodation, we are hoping all these factors will outweigh the extra cost of getting down here and mean that we can attract a field that's comparable in size and strength to other recent Australian Juniors generally.

What's Tasmania's history in understaking major (international, and national) Chess Events?
    Tasmania hosted the 1952-3 and 1958-9 Australian Championships (both won by Steiner), the 1964-5 Australian Championship (won by Doug Hamilton in a one-sided playoff against CJS Purdy), and the 1975 Australian Junior (tournament won by Chandler who was ineligible; David Dick was the champion). Tasmania also hosted the 1986 Australian Girls in the days when that was still a separate event, attracting a then-record field for the event. As far as I'm aware, that's it! Hopefully after this one it won't be decades before there is another, but let's make sure this one is successful first!

To what extent do you think that the national Junior Championship 2010 in Tassie would affect the fast growing number of talented juniors in your State?
    What we're hoping is that this tournament will give more of the juniors here an opportunity to play against class opposition, to see what it is like to take chess seriously, and to build their playing strength and passion for the game. We don't expect it to affect the number who are playing overall, since those who play in rated tournaments are just the tip of the interschool iceberg, but we're hoping more will cross the line into serious play and start showing up in weekenders and at clubs.

As you clearly state in the official announcement the initial post is just to give some preliminary basic details, however, there must be some indications about expressions of sponsorship interests etc. Can you give us a clue?
    We have had some interest from one possible industry sponsor and are also applying for some government-run event grants. We also placed an open call for expressions of interest in in-kind sponsorship from chess businesses in the ACF Newsletter, primarily to make certain that we have enough equipment without further outlays, especially if numbers are larger than we are currently expecting.

The accommodation arrangements you have made seem absolutely great! I mean "$30/person/night in very roomy student villas at a nearby student college,for a 6-person share" is absolutely enticing! Parents at BHCC have already reacted possitively and I presume you will have a good number of entries. What's the number of participants you are aiming for?
    Note that those figures I quoted for accommodation were just approximate and provisional - the exact figures will be available soon. There are so many unknowns in terms of the size of field we will have, but we are aiming for, and believe we can get, 150 entries.

What have you done so far in regards to the website and other advertising details?
    The website is being designed by Ross George, who is a professional web designer and TCA Webmaster, and who recently designed the new TCA website. Basic details are up there already; entry forms and accommodation booking forms will be up very soon (it has taken a little longer than expected because some of the details took a while to finalise). I believe we have TV publicity coming up in a few weeks' time, and press releases will be sent out to local media from time to time.

Do you think the Media in Tassie will give this major event the promotion it deserves?
    Absolutely! We have frequently been able to obtain good coverage for chess in the past here and have some excellent mainstream and alternative media connections. It's notable to have an event of this kind here after so long and we have the recent tournament successes of local juniors such as Alastair Dyer (joint State Champion) and Vincent Horton (=1st in last Tas Open) to build interest.

You are signing the official announcement (apart from other organising responsibilities provided in the text) as the director of play! Have you had experience in the field on that level before? Don't you think that the work schedule as one of the organisers plus DOP duties will result to quite an overloaded amount of work?
    There is a difference for large events between the terms "Director of Play" and "Arbiter". I intend to be the former but not the latter to any real degree; we expect to have IAs for that rather than a mere local circuit arbiter like me! So my main role during the tournament will be overseeing the event, making announcements, making sure everything is running smoothly, and also being free to help in whatever capacity is needed at short notice. This is not a very large workload and I will also be writing much of the non-game content for the bulletins. There will be several people working hard on the tournament so it is not like any one person is going to have more on their plate than they can handle.

I am very much accustomed to running large junior tournaments; for instance, it is fairly common for me to run interschool qualifiers with several dozen players, often singlehandedly or with one assistant and under very intense time pressure.

Indeed while people reading this BB and seeing announcements from me might assume that I will be the main organiser, in reality Russell and Mellissa are the ones doing the most work and who will deserve much of the credit, and there will be many other people involved.

Well, Kevin thanks for the interview and I am sure the Chess Community wishes you and the the other members of the organising committee every success in such a difficult but commendable effort!
    Thankyou!

------------------------------------------------------------

OK, having thus cheekily hijak-ed jak's thread I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming ... I have a fair idea who "one of the greatest players Australia has ever produced!" really is, and am very much looking forward to it!

Yes I am intrigued to see the list of upcoming people you will also embarrass
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Alana confirmed!

Alana has confirmed her acceptance of doing an interview based upon her recent success in Doeberl where she won outright the Minor Category! Questions will be sent to her shortly!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC Grandmaster
    Alana has confirmed her acceptance of doing an interview based upon her recent success in Doeberl where she won outright the Minor Category! Questions will be sent to her shortly!
    Should be interesting, looking forward to it.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Should be interesting, looking forward to it.
    Scott
    Yeah Scott, I agree, apart from being a champion player, Alana seems to be very popular in Canberra, plus she has a fantastic sense of humour! I look forward to interview her as well!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

I used to be on the interview list............not news anymore I guess

Hi Mischa, long time no see!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457