Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    No hurry. As with everything to do with me, it's over-hyped and under-delivered (except the personality - that really is a darling!)
    back in the *** days, we had certain names for this type, none very flattering ,im afraid.......so decline to comment further, except to say the names involved pumpkins,fruit jelly and hysterectomies.

what about the Novos Ax?

Ax, in your interview you gave special emphasis on Krasno and its various contributions to Chess. However, as it was pointed out by one of my friends who read your writings, you fail to even acknowledge the Novorsibirsk boys who (according to his claims) did as good if not better on that field.
    He gave me as an example the development of the great Siberian Trap in the Sicilian, and he wants you to make a fairer assessment on the Novos if you can.
    Cheers and good luck!
    Last edited by ER; 29-06-2007 at 11:53 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

further interviews

Publishing of interviews in this thread is pending upon receiving answers to questions I have already sent and waiting for response from interviewees, before my departure for Adelaide for the Lindums.
    Deadline is Monday 2nd of July 2007 at 10:00 pm
    Publishing of interviews conducted and sending of interview questions to other personalities of this Forum, will continue as normal after my return from Adelaide, the date of which I cannot state yet, since I may decide to expand my staying there after the tournament.
    Cheers and good luck to all!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Bill Jordan Interview

Undoubtly one of the strongest players in Australia, particularly in his heyday, either as a player, coach and now President of the most historic Chess Club in Australia, - the Melbourne CC, is always, upproachable, friendly and popular.
    The following is the interview he gave me for the thread.

It looks as though your decision to participate in the administration of the Melbourne Chess Club as the new President, has helped your Chess as well.
    In the latest Melbourne Chess Club tournament you played and scored well! Are you coming back to competative chess on a more frequent basis?

Probably not owing to my slightly complicated life situation.

Ok let's now start from the beginning.When did you first realise that Chess was going to play a part in your life?

I learnt when i was 7, but when i was ten I made a conscious decision to take up something that was pure skill i could get really good at.

Who were your Chess idols when you started playing serious Chess? who are your favourite players now?

Very early on i saw Fischers game of the century and he was one of my first idols. Later idols were Botvinnik and Alekhine.

Who was your first Chess mentor?

I originally learnt from books. I was fortunate that my school (Scotch) had a complete set of chess world magazines so Purdy had a big influence on me. Jamieson was my first live mentor, but keep in mind I was already about 1800 when the Waverley chess club (where RJ was) started.

Did you grow up in Chess playing surroundings?

When i went to Scotch the chessclub there was open every day.

How much support did you have by your family for your Chess activities?

Not enough. My parents wouldn't let me go interstate to play until i was 14 and discouraged me from playing in junior tournaments "to give someone else a chance of winning."

What are the greatest achievements of your Chess career? (Apart from your FM title of course)

Winning the possibly strongest ever Australian correspondence championship with 12.5/13 perhaps.

Who do you think is the most influential Chess player of modern times?

Karpov

The strongest?
    A year ago i would have said Topalov

Now I would say Anand

The one whose playing style you have been inspired by and have tried to adopt?

As a junior I tried to play like Botvinnik or Fischer. Since then I had my own style which was basically trying to play the objectively strongest move.

The one that you always wanted to meet?

I have met Euwue, Karpov and Spassky but Fischer was the one I really wanted to meet.

Who is your favourite Australian Chess player?

I don't have one.

Who is Australia's most promising young player?

Moulton Ly i think.

Would you describe the Chess Chat Forum's importance for Chess in Australia as major, minor, average?

Average

Apart from being a very successful Chess player, you are also a very capable coach. What is the best advice you give to your students?

Play moves you think a very strong player would play.
    Be honest.

Let's conclude this interview with some of the challenges you face as the President of the most historic Chess Club in Australia about six months since your election. Was it difficult to adjust to your new duties?

It was easier than I thought. The treasurer has been very helpful.

What are the plans of the Melbourne Chess Club for the near future?

Just keep everything running. It seems when the plans are too grand things start falling apart.

Greg Gatto has left his mark on the Club as the President who worked hard for its improvement in terms of facilities and general condition of the premises. He also,managed to keep the finances of the Club in a very stable situation with great help of course from Angelo Tsagarakis as the Treasurer! How would you like to be remembered when you decide to terminate your contribution?

I am also aiming to keep the finances healthy and would like to see
    significantly more members than when I started.

Bill Jordan thanks for your time!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

No No Novos

Quote Originally Posted by heavyknight
    Ax, in your interview you gave special emphasis on Krasno and its various contributions to Chess. However, as it was pointed out by one of my friends who read your writings, you fail to even acknowledge the Novorsibirsk boys who (according to his claims) did as good if not better on that field.
    He gave me as an example the development of the great Siberian Trap in the Sicilian, and he wants you to make a fairer assessment on the Novos if you can.
    Cheers and good luck!
    We rarely acknowledge even the existence of the Novosibirsk chess scene.
    We hear the term 'Novosibirsk boys' banded about with such reverence, it makes me sick.
    They were an extremely over rated bunch,strictly state controlled, and heavily infiltrated by the 'chess-control' wing of the KGB.
    I, like all *** have little time for them.
    However one instance stands out in my memory.........
    In early 1958 i played in a team called 'The Omegans' (*** connected) against The Novosibirsk Knights (or the Novos Boys, as we called them).
    It was an 'away' game, so we travelled by train,with our team coach Sal Ibikinov,well supplied with vodka and smoked deer meat. He sternly warned us that the novos boys can become extremely violent ,if the games did not exactly go there way.I thought he was making silly joke, he did have a very strange sense of humour, and besides we were all martial art trained anyway.
    I played on board 3 against one of their young stars, i played line XX9 (known now as the possum opening ie. 1.e4 2.f3).This nearly drove the young kid insane, i remember him frothing at the mouth and making odd jerking motions.As his position was finally being dismantled he grabbed his Queen and suddenly from its base out popped a steel blade! He made incoherent threatening noises, and i just kicked it from his hand ,and told him in no uncertain terms that this behaviour was totally unacceptable.The game continued, he resigned 4 moves later.
    I was to learn that this was not an uncommon practice in Novosibirsk,and was informed that there were many flick knives hidden in chess pieces there, and occasionaly a small explosive device placed in a rook !(known as the original siberian chess trap,the term later used by boris shipov to describe the sicilian trap you refer to. We were told, never play anyone wearing a motorcycle helmet in Novosibirsk)

I heard at the time, and cannot confirm this, but an old novos training technique for players moving too quickly was to have sharp blades that would randomly emerge from all the pieces , cutting the hand of the holder.The players would be forced to play lightning chess. You can imagine the bloodied board,and cries of pain .
    Although the standard of play was poor, the theory was that it made you more cautious at the board.
    As i said ,i have little time for the maniacs from Novosibirsk.
    Last edited by Axiom; 04-07-2007 at 05:13 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    We rarely acknowledge even the existence of the Novosibirsk chess scene.
    We hear the term 'Novosibirsk boys' banded about with such reverence, it makes me sick.
    They were an extremely over rated bunch,strictly state controlled, and heavily infiltrated by the 'chess-control' wing of the KGB.
    I, like all *** have little time for them.
    However one instance stands out in my memory.........
    In early 1958 i played in a team called 'The Omegans' (*** connected) against The Novosibirsk Knights (or the Novos Boys, as we called them).
    It was an 'away' game, so we travelled by train,with our team coach Sal Ibikinov,well supplied with vodka and smoked deer meat. He sternly warned us that the novos boys can become extremely violent ,if the games did not exactly go there way.I thought he was making silly joke, he did have a very strange sense of humour, and besides we were all martial art trained anyway.
    I played on board 3 against one of their young stars, i played line XX9 (known now as the possum opening ie. 1.e4 2.f3).This nearly drove the young kid insane, i remember him frothing at the mouth and making odd jerking motions.As his position was finally being dismantled he grabbed his Queen and suddenly from its base out popped a steel blade! He made incoherent threatening noises, and i just kicked it from his hand ,and told him in no uncertain terms that this behaviour was totally unacceptable.The game continued, he resigned 4 moves later.
    I was to learn that this was not an uncommon practice in Novosibirsk,and was informed that there were many flick knives hidden in chess pieces there, and occasionaly a small explosive device placed in a rook !(known as the original siberian chess trap,the term later used by boris shipov to describe the sicilian trap you refer to)

I heard at the time, and cannot confirm this, but an old novos training technique for players moving too quickly was to have sharp blades that would randomly emerge from all the pieces , cutting the hand of the holder.The players would be forced to play lightning chess. You can imagine the bloodied board,and cries of pain .
    Although the standard of play was poor, the theory was that it made you more cautious at the board.
    This story makes an interesting reading. However, I find very hard to believe it.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    This story makes an interesting reading. However, I find very hard to believe it.
    They do say "Fact is stranger than fiction"

Sorry I brought back traumatic memories Ax, but the question had to be asked. thanks for answering it!
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Sorry I brought back traumatic memories Ax, but the question had to be asked. thanks for answering it!
    Cheers and good luck!
    Thats ok HK, I had to submit myself to heavy hypnosis driven regression sessions, to get that out. I thus apologise for the delay in responding.
    Yours sincerely,
    Axiom.

The Gerrit Hartland Interview

If one wants to personify Chess Leadership in Victoria, one's thoughts must definitely include Gerrit Hartland as the most likely candidate.
    He commands respect as well as admiration, he is popular, he is active and most importantly he is there!
    Well, he is there, he leads the State's chessic affairs from the position of the president of CV as well as being the Captain of the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club. So, let's start...

Captain, how long have you been involved with the administration part of Chess?

Since the late 60s when I joined the Box Hill Chess Club.

What was the reason you actually were involved in the first place?

I remember I was made a club delegate for the Box Hill Chess Club for a VCA meeting in Latrobe Street [where the MCC was then] where there was some controversy involving the club the details of which I have long forgotten and I was savaged by John Hanks and Eddy Malitis so when election time came my fellow club delegate held up my hand on the assumption that I had to put my money where my mouth was.

Judging from my own experience, you are a strong player, and definitely underrated. Have your administrational duties affected your playing in terms of strength as well as participation?

They have indeed. I have always believed administrators should be given bonus rating points say 100 points every time they get denigrated on chess chat

You are a well-respected personality in the Victorian as well as in the Australian Chess Community… You are working very hard! I mean apart from your duties as President of Chess Victoria, you are the Captain of the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club, a remarkable artist, and a keen traveller! In between you manage to win medals in All Australian Veteran swimming events!!! How do you do it?

Well the swimming is easy in the over 75s. You dive in one end and if and when you get out the far end they give you a medal. In my case 3 bronze ones.

OK let’s go back to Chess and your duties. You undertook the responsibility of becoming the President of CV at a (for some turbulent, for some others stagnated) stage of affairs. What are your first experiences during that approximately half year since you were elected?

I am discouraged by the lack of interest I have encountered.

Do you think that everything is ok and under control now, or are there still things that need change?

Only a relative small part of our program has been been carried out and that has hardly set the world on fire There are many changes that need to be made and many more people who need to become involved

What are your immediate plans for the future as far as the direction of CV is concerned?

My personal ambitions go no further than the next general meeting
    It would have been nice to have had some more people involved

Now, let’s get back to your other involvement and, I presume, one of the loves of your life, and I am talking about the Box Hill / Canterbury Junior Chess Club. Has the Club recovered yet from the tremendous blow of being in effect “kicked out” from its old base?

The junior club has more than recovered. We have twice as many members twice as many coaching opportunities and twice as many parents in our support group. The Box Hill Chess Club is still in recovery mode, but with our new active committee led by an active and supportive president I think we are getting there.

Are you happy with the new venue?

I am happy with the way the venue is shaping up. However we still struggle with access and the kitchen facilities. I am also satisfied with the use Chess Victoria has been able to make of the premises

Many members of the Victorian Chess Community are simply astounded by the success of certain activities of the Club. We see organised adult coaching, ever-increasing junior classes, people filling the Club’ s rooms in every public function, parents actively participating! What is the secret of making the Club so successful in these regards?

It is no secret. It is the drive of our new president who has the ability to work outside the square or should I say outside the 64 squares

Yet, there are claims that the membership has not yet recovered in numbers since the Club left its original well-known base at Box Hill. People are also saying that the Club’s tournaments are not that successful as they used to be! What is your opinion?

That is quite true, although your question should perhaps have read ‘not as successful’ The figures tell their own story The Box Hill open for example since 2004 has attracted these numbers
    2004 / 118, 2005 / 104, 2006 / 88 the lowest figure since 2002 when there were 86 entrants.

When did you first realise that Chess was going to play a part in your life?

Never thought about it

Who were your Chess idols when you started playing serious Chess? Who are your favourite players now?

I liked Euwe, fellow countryman, phlegmatic, gracious, [offered me a draw in a simul], dutch jokes,

Did not have one

Certainly not. But I do remember taking a slight interest in Euwe’s battle to regain his world championship title in 1948 was it? Where the poor chap forever seem to be a pawn down at the adjournment

As far as chess is concerned we are ships that pass in the night, although my grand son seems to take an interest. He is however somewhat handicapped by his insistence on putting the white pieces on the white squares and the black pieces on the black squares

What are the greatest achievements of your Chess career?

My draw against Ian Rogers when he was 8

I would say Fischer for the way he changed the way people thought about chess

The strongest?

No idea

The one whose playing styles you have been inspired by and have tried to adopt?

Always followed the sound of my own drum, but I do have pet openings like the Morra gambit, The Nimzo indian, the centre counter

I might let that one go through to the keeper

Cecil Purdy; I knew him well

Who is Australia’s most promising young player?

I am looking for another Denis Bourmistrov

Would you describe the Chess Chat Forum’s importance for Chess in Australia as major, minor, average?

Elliott don’t get me started on this. Let us just say I find it amusing.

Captain, thank you very much for your time!

You’re welcome
    Last edited by ER; 13-07-2007 at 11:51 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

interviews

Conducting of interviews has restarted.
    Duggan has been sent his questions, Eclectic is next!
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Howard Duggan - the interview!!!

to be published here soon!
    Cheers and good luck!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

to be published here soon!
    Cheers and good luck!!!
    ******PREMIER SCREENING SOON ******
    the queues are lined up around the block!

******PREMIER SCREENING SOON ******
    the queues are lined up around the block!
    well he deserves the queues!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

The Howard Duggan Interview

Ladies and gentlemen, as it was previously announced, here is the interview with the very charismatic Mr Howard Duggan.

When did you first realise that Chess was going to play a part in your life?

For me 'playing a part in my life' is a matter of degrees. When I was 6 or so, Dad taught me the moves. I might have played a handful of games against him. The quality would have been awful. That interaction could only be described as a father/ son bonding experience. Certainly no coaching involved. I recall liking the game. I think he might have bought me a small plastic chess set, but I had noone to play against. My brother didn’t play. Another brother was born when I was 8 and he doesn’t play either.

Aged 9, I changed schools, joined its after hours chess club and would have played my first games against non-family. I left after two terms and only played a handful of games there. All social. No coaching. I don’t recall too much about it apart from the jam sandwiches they laid on - quaint English prep school.

When we emigrated (to Australia) in grade 10, joined the school chess club. They made me captain! Our team won! I can assure readers the standard was pitiful. In grade 12, Mark Robertson joined the school. They made him captain. He won the Queensland Open that year.

My chess to date probably consisted of all but social games - I had never read a chess book or received any coaching.

A summary of my school years would be that chess is something I did sporadically and casually, like one might go for a walk. I enjoyed it. Is that when chess played a part in my life? Probably not.

I don’t think I played another game until 13 years later in 1996, I opened a (promotional, high profile, high exposure 24 hour) café as part of other business activity. It was a multi faceted cafe (internet, concert tickets, live performances, art displays and so forth) and I bought some chess sets. I had some chess mats built into a couple of the tables and played when I was meant to be at the newspaper! And didn’t the chess players of Brisbane roll in ... ?

In late 1999 I recall one night some of the players said they were off to the Brisbane Chess Club. “What? Brisbane has a chess club?” And off I went. Loved it. Joined. Started playing comps.

That is the point at which I could answer you question and say that chess played some part of my life.

One night at the club, early 2002, CAQ Secretary/ Treasurer, Ian Murray appeared at the club on a mission! He was recruiting for the CAQ. Press-ganging might be a more appropriate term. They were looking for a president!

A good friend of mine had his name put forward. He declined. He has 3 autistic school-age children, and a fourth had died from a degenerative condition. I don’t think he could spare the time or the energy. I was second cab off the rank and I accepted and said I would do my best. I think it’s fair to say I did a bang up job. I was certainly active and I’d like to think I made a big contribution. That was the feedback I got both from within and outside of the Council. I established many acquaintances throughout the Qld chess community. That is probably the defining time in answer to your question.

Unfortunately, it was only 12 months later when my business activity in Melbourne, the premature birth and subsequent diagnosis of my son’s cerebral palsy, reduced my contribution, energy and passion for chess administration by about 90%. At the request of Council and in the absence of other candidates I stayed on, but rather limited to chairing meeting and producing the newsletter (I might have snipped the odd pointy head off, too).

Who were your Chess idols when you started playing serious Chess? Who are your favourite players now?

Apart from a fascination with the complexity of the human headline that is Bobby Fischer; my idols, for want of a better word would be local administrators. I’d suggest this is not unusual given my singular lack of chess exposure as a child and even as an emerging adult.

In my early days on CAQ, I developed an immense admiration for Ian Murray, Graeme Gardiner, Gail Young and Patrick Byrom. More recently, I have had an opportunity to read some Australian chess literature dating back 30 years or so. I have respect for all those administrators and players who have contributed to the development of the game in this country. There are too many to mention, but being a Queensland lad and regarding players, Stepehen Solomon’s name is a name deserving of note.

What is your greatest chess related experience so far?
    What are the greatest achievements of your Chess career?

Difficult. None? Meeting Evelyn Koshnitsky? First ever weekender playing (and being crushed by) Carig Laird, board 1, round 1? Accepting the honour of being CAQ president? Creating an annual teams event that grew and attracted 100 players? Winning Liddums U/1600?

Meeting you personally I discovered a fascinating personality combined with a very impressive physical appearance. Obviously, you are likeable, popular (amongst those who count anyway) and in a class of your own. Have you ever given a thought to join politics?

Whoaa! Ahem. Thanks. Perhaps we should start with the “impressive physical appearance”. I am a bald, pale 40 year old man and I think I detect the onset of a lazy eye!

Your words are very kind and perhaps you are referring to related qualities such as some leadership attributes. If so, then you may be on to something. I am certainly at ease running my own company(ies). Adminstration, leadership, people skills and so forth are all part of that.

Yes, I have thought of politics as a career. I do believe I would have much to offer (I hold the same opinion regarding a career as a barrister and as a loathed TV personality/ social commentator!). I feel I would become disenfranchised with politics too quickly - there are a lot of planks out there and they all get a vote! Seriously, I think many aspects of the role would be rewarding, but with my life as it is at the moment, I can only say ‘perhaps later’. One thing’s for sure, I would be an open book - skeletons out, guns at dawn - none of this tight, correct dribble of the current era.

I am not well-versed on this topic. I say Fischer because for 3 months he single handedly put chess on the front page of every newspaper in the eastern and western world.

The strongest?

I can’t go past Kasparov.

The most fascinating? – as a character as well as a Chess player?

Fischer.

The one whose playing style you have been inspired by and have tried to adopt?

I have never tried to adopt anyone’s playing style. I’m not sure I’m even aware of them. Lock in ‘loose canon’ please Eddy. So is that a combination between Hodgson, Smerdon and Tal?

I’d love to (have) meet Fischer. I reckon he could have learned a lot from me!

I don’t know many (any). I think Ian Rogers on the strength of his acievement in relative isolation.

Who is Australia’s most promising young player?

Ly / Smerdon

Would you describe the Chess Chat Forum’s importance for Chess in Australia as major, minor, average?

Now? Minor. This is not a criticism. It’s a fact. That could change. It’s no-one’s job to make it change. It probably will change.

Your online persona seems to be more complex and sometimes diametrically different to the real-life one. In the short time that I met you, I got the impression of a very cool, calm and collected character, and at the same time someone who commands absolute respect.

Here, you seem to often blow your top, use bad language, being argumentative, insulting and sometimes even vindictive.

On the other hand you can be extremely charming, and popular as well as being able to get away with murder. Your command of the English language has incredibly profound ranges and can easily reach divine literal heights or, without warning, slide down to the grottiest South Brisbane drunkard patois. Additionally, your sense of humour is irresistible as well as bone crushing!

I am sure you, occasionally, intrigue even Bill Gletsos who sometimes seems that he is about to cut you down to size but then lets you go off the hook as some sort of an irremediable case! Where does the truth lay? Who really is Howard Duggan?

Okaaaaay! I think it’s best we do this by the numbers. That’s not an insignificant amount of territory you’ve covered there. I hope you’ll appreciate that it’s quite a difficult thing to keep perspective on these matters. I’m a big believer in the truth of being ultimately judged by one’s peers and not the publicity or beliefs that one holds (or in my case trumpets) about oneself.

Online persona

I’ve often said on the BB that one can’t know someone well from their online persona. There are certainly degrees of variance depending on the extent to which any individual wishes to disguise or otherwise. I am very much a wear the heart on the sleeve kind of bloke, so my online persona, while an exaggerated version of Howard is probably still a true reflection of him, but perhaps through a cracked mirror. I’m also a big believer in judging a person from their actions not their dialogue (or in my case diatribe).

Complex online persona v real life

I’ve been told that I am complex IRL. I know I am complex IRL. But not tortured, and that’s an important difference to me.

Cool, calm and collected character who commands respect.

I believe that’s what my family, friends and colleagues would say about me, yes.

Here, you seem to often blow your top, use bad language, being argumentative, insulting and sometimes even vindictive.

I don’t blow my top and lose my temper IRL.I do get very animated, however! There’s a difference. I’m quite surprised that you have suggested I blow my top on the BB and you’re not the first person to have said so. But as I have said earlier, there is more to be learned from my listening to others assessments of me, than my own.

Bad language?

Yes. Sorry! I’m trying to do better.

Argumentative?

I do not under any circumstances suffer fools - and never have. I think you’d have to go the the people IRL for some legendary examples of that.

Insulting?

Yes. To those that deserve it - it’s wonderful, isn’t it? To those that don’t, I hope I am quick to apologise and do so in a genuine fashion. It is also clear that I am the poorer as a person for it, when I get it wrong.

Vindictive?

Again, the second time someone from the BB has suggested that. Again, I have to take that on board and contemplate. Vindictiveness has connotations I’m not enamored with. However, I think it is true that that in the few times IRL where someone has overstepped the mark considerably with malice aforethought and not taken the one chance offered at redress, they have ... ummm ... developed a more acute awareness of their transgression and have a permanent regret for the errors of their ways. I’m not really certain how I’ve been vindictive on athe BB. I’m just Howard and I just type! I have no sway over people’s life and their well-being.

Can be extremely charming and popular

See my BB profile which hasn’t changed in a year.

Get away with murder.

I don’t know about that. Context is everything. If a posting doesn’t overstep the mark, and the powers that be have run the ruler of the context, then perhaps my style (and others) only adds flavour and doesn’t commit a crime. I think AC would fall into the same category. I also note that I have been modded in my time. Posts have been deleted. I have spent time in the cooler. I have had privileges taken away. I have been allowed to voice my opinion over the few times I believe The Squad have got it wrong with me. I think the mods do an excellent job under trying conditions. I’d defy anyone to do a better one. They a good team with a diverse range of skills.

Your command of the English language has incredibly profound ranges and can easily reach divine literal heights or, without warning, slide down to the grottiest South Brisbane drunkard patois. Additionally, your sense of humour is irresistible as well as bone crushing!

Guilty.

I am sure you, occasionally, intrigue even Bill Gletsos who sometimes seems that he is about to cut you down to size but then lets you go off the hook as some sort of an irremediable case!

I’d like to think I intrigue everybody. As I have said, Bill and the others don’t miss me when it’s called for.

Where does the truth lay? Who really is Howard Duggan?

I think we’ve just covered it. One of the more worldly sales staff says of me “It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain”. On the balance of evidence, I can’t disagree!

How would you treat your various on-line enemies if you met them in real life?

They’re not enemies. I don’t believe I have any enemies in this world, thank goodness. However, there is one chap we can all think of and it is probably best to not to talk about him.

What about the Pom vs Aussie theme? You obviously adore Arsenal and everything English and at the same time you exhibit traits of a very Aussie passion as in e.g. hating to lose the State of Origin Honours to NSW. You also show love and support for most things Aussie and a very deep knowledge and appreciation of the Australian history and culture. How and in which arithmetical order would you rate the concepts of Australia, England, UK, Queensland?

I am an Englishman first and foremost. A deep sense of loyalty pervades every sinue of my body and is relevant to most facets of my life. Just typing this and I can smell England! How my father can switch loyalties with the wind and an airfare is beyond me!

There is much I love about Australia and Australians. To innumerate them as you have suggested is beyond me at the moment - I want to have an early mark and go and do some physio with Andrew; God I love him! - so I’ll pass on that (for now) if you don’t mind.

Coming back to Chess now! Your tour de force in Adelaide proved that you are good enough for better things to come! Are you ready for it?

What I wish for in my chess is some stability. It is quite apparent where I belong on the food chain, but what irritates me are extremes in my play. Winning against an 1800 and losing to a 1000 is not my idea of middle age fun! Prior to my testing annus horribilis (2004) I was trundling north and reached 1600. Thereafter was an instantaneous 200 point drop. I took almost a year off in preparation for the birth of my second son, Anthony and I have been clawing my way up the vege ladder ever since. I’d consider it an achievement to settle at around 1700 before senility sets in!

Howard, thanks for your time. My best wishes for you and the rest of the lovely Duggan family!

Elliott, you’re most welcome. Thanks for the penetrating questions and the flattery.
    Last edited by ER; 08-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information