Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Flude reminder!

David (Flude) read here please:

Quote Originally Posted by Jak, from post #325 thanking A/C for the idea to interview Amiel
    At the moment I have to do three more Chess parents, Lawrence's and Marcus' dad Warren is first, then Leteisha's mum Tanya, and finally Eugene's mum Kerry. Then I have the Correspondece Player interview with David Flude, then the Antichrist Anathema, then Jesper and Mehmetalja - I have to ask him first (The Europeans Series) and then, if he wishes, to be interviewed Amiel! I will send him a message soon too! Thanks again for the idea!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

shall I interview you?
    proud parent

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    shall I interview you?
    only during and mutual promises there won't be any again!
    Last edited by ER; 20-10-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Fantastic responses by Warren (Marcus and Lawrence's dad) Bretag to 1st cluster of questions for his interview! We go ahead for the second cluster now and I hope the whole interview will be published soon!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    only during and mutual promises there won't be any again!
    How do you put those smiley images in?

Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlue
    How do you put those smiley images in?
    Lol Howie, taught me!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Thumbs up

OMG THAT'S SOOOO COOL!!! THANKS!!

The Man in the Back that Caesar guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlue

OMG THAT'S SOOOO COOL!!! THANKS!!
    holy cow, thats a lot of smileys. is there a obsession here?
    'And the man in the back said "Everyone attack!", and it turned into a ballroom blitz. And the girl in the corner said "Boy I wanna warn ya, it'll turn into a ballroom blitz." Brian Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDeal
    holy cow, thats a lot of smileys. is there a obsession here?
    Holy yeah it's pretty cool. I might make a massive signature sometime with 5000 emoticons on it. But then again, maybe there's an image limit.

ok kids this is the INTERVIEW thread, get your smilies and go play in the TV room!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Chess Parents: The Warren Bretag Interview

The Bretags are a wonderful family! The kids are fine and popular for both their playing ability and personality not only in Tasmania but wherever they go to play chess! Their parents have every reason to be proud of them. In both of their campaigns in Victoria to play in tournaments organised by the Croydon Chess Club, I had the opportunity to talk to their dad Warren Bretag who was a vital part of their performance being there and providing whatever the youngsters needed varying from food, to strategy analysis and of course to funny moments and entertainment!
    Since I met him and the boys in person I knew that he was a candidate for an interview for the Chess Parents Series. BTW thanks to Lawrence Bretag who helped in establishing communication etc! Let's go, ladies and gentlemen, Mr Warren Bretag!

First of all congratulations for Lawrence’s excellent performance and 1st place in the blitz tournament at the Tassie Juniors! Was the whole (or at least 90% of the) family present as it happened at Croydon to celebrate the event?

One of the great disappointments Elliot is the geographical isolation I have with my children so I have to be selective about the tournaments I attend. Michelle travels with the two young men to all the Tassy tournaments while I travel on the mainland to the Croyden/Monash events and coaching on the Gold Coast. They give us updates by SMS and I am always proud of their achievements.

Ok let’s start from the beginning! Was it you who started the whole chess thing amongst the Bretags?

Absolutely- my dad taught me to play and I enjoyed the activity with both the boys at an early age. Though Marcus started to beat me at nine years old so I took him for some coaching in Hobart at the chess club.

Did you grow up in a chess playing environment?

Dad taught us the basics and my brother and I loved the game up until our high school years.

What’s the highest level you have achieved as a chess player?

Never played competitively but enjoyed some fantastic battles living on remote communities where there was no television but plenty of games nights.

Ok the hard question: Was it Marcus or Lawrence who achieved the “Hey guess what! I beat dad” first?

Marcus did but I believe he was using Jedi mind tricks to break down my mental defenses at age nine.

Obviously, apart from Chess the boys are doing quite well in their studies. Is that a prerequisite priority wise?

Chess provides a fantastic focus and sharpens them mentally for all of life’s obstacles but ultimately it doesn’t provide them with the capacity to earn an income in Australia. They are doing very well academically but more importantly are admired for their strength of personality.
    I try not to give the children my priorities which doesn’t mean I absolve my responsibilities as a father because it is ultimately their life. Are they happy and if they are then it is because they have set their own priorities.
    Marcus is loving philosophy and religion and Lawrence has won a great scholarship to a private school in Launceston. Both of these young men are self driven and I am blessed to have them as my children.

Do you think that Chess has helped them develop their characters? I mean they are very popular, intelligent and can combine youthful enthusiasm with profound thinking!

Undoubtedly- Marcus has always played the game and never lost the lesson of defeat while Lawrence sat back for many years and simply watched like a sponge. Lawrence wanted to make sure that he was going to be competitive and I have watched him grow in character more so when he loses than when he wins.
    Table tennis and chess developed their will to win and they are very competent in both. I have always enjoyed their competitive nature .
    They both know who they are; and it is that great sense of self that is their greatest achievement. Chess has been part of that because it builds tenacity and persistence. It has strengthened their intellect and allowed them the pleasure of meeting other like-minded people. There is nothing I like better than watching them battle out of difficult positions because life has many difficult positions. I admire their resilience and capacity to find solutions- Chess has given them that.

You guys seem to enjoy each other’s company immensely. There is a lot of laughter, merry attitude and a touch of a happy go lucky element in your conversations be it chess or whatever else. Does humour play a major part in the family?

Humor is everything and Marcus leads with his very dry view of the world and in particular his observations around his father’s numerous short comings. Lawrence on the other hand is a genuine standup comic who is at times prone to defend me from the older brothers acid attacks.
    While they may occassionally beat me at Chess and have been known to win table tennis when I am badly injured they are no match for my witty rebuttals when they are jointly slagging me.
    The family enjoys laughter and many of my best memories are watching comedy with my children. Life is too short to take it seriously so enjoy it while your here.

Of what you told me in Melbourne Kole, your youngest son might not yet being able to walk, however he is good in punching the chess clock! Do you think we will soon have another member joining the Bretag Chess contingent?

Kole has Lawrence at home mentoring him and I am certain that his passion will rub off on the little guy. He is nearly two years old and I am certain he will be in his first tournament by his fifth birthday if Lawrence has his way. It is great having the two older boys mentor their baby brother as Marcus and Lawrence are fine role models in all respects.
    He will no doubt join his brothers as a Chess player and comedian- though other players should be made aware he bites occasionally.

Of your experience so far, are you and Michelle happy with the way tournaments are run in Australia?

I have really enjoyed all the tournaments that I have attended. Wish that I had schooled Marcus and Lawrence in Tournament Chess before they started to play as the home game we played was much more social and allowed for some gentleman’s errors and lots of verbal sledging. Not so in a tournament but they have made the adjustments and now demand that their father plays to a clock.
    They are all well organised and I enjoy them immensely!

What would you suggest as an improvement?

Perhaps a junior area where under 8’s can be as robust as children are meant to be- lots of the little people were being quietened during the Croyden Tournament which is fair enough given that games are still being played but I would like an area where children can be children.

Warren, thanks for your time, best wishes for Marcus and Lawrence and the rest of the Bretag family!

Thanks Elliott- look forward to catching up with you at the next tournament!
    Last edited by ER; 22-10-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

ok kids this is the INTERVIEW thread, get your smilies and go play in the TV room!
    but smilies are so funn!!!

I must also remember to try putting in some of those awesome smilies sometime.. the thread ones are just boring...
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    but smilies are so funn!!!

I must also remember to try putting in some of those awesome smilies sometime.. the thread ones are just boring...
    Like this one?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Thumbs up

Like this one?