Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

an important statement

Before I proceed with publishing of iinterviews on the very sensitive and controversial David Cordover vs CV topic I have to make some important announcements.
    The administration of this board made efforts to accommodate statements by a banned user namely those of CV treasurer Trevor Stanning.
    Apparently, those efforts were deemed not satisfactory by Trevor who retracted his initial willingness to provide statements in regards to the above mentioned topic.
    Also, of what I understand there were further private negotiations between Trevor and the administration of this board which also led to further impasse.
    Additionally, I have noticed that CV as well as Box Hill Chess Club (of which I am a proud member) and Canterbury Junior Chess Club tend to avoid using this Chess Chat Forum for complete coverage of their events, announcements, etc.
    As far as I am concerned, I am willing to interview representatives of all sides concerned! If they decide not to participate it's their decision and definitely does not reflect my and/or this Forum's democratic attitudes in matters of inclusion, representation and provision of equal opportunities.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Also, of what I understand there were further private negotiations between Trevor and the administration of this board which also led to further impasse.
    I am investigating whether this is true as I am not aware of any.

[EDIT: It is!]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-09-2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for moderation of any kind including thread changes must be made in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

JAK what happened to your proud membership of MCC?
    Nice to see you supporting clubs
    proud parent

After publishing this interview I will wait for some responses, and/or other related interviews and I shall return to the scheduled star chess parents interviews around 1st or 2nd week of October!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

ok it will be published sometime today!

Final proof reading of the first cluster of questions for the David Cordover vs CV Interview is taking place now! Yes, the interview is with David Cordover and there is no punches pulled and no prisoners taken either! It's bloody hilarious too! I am sure you will enjoy it! It will be published around 2-3 pm today!
    Last edited by ER; 25-09-2009 at 03:28 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

The David Cordover Interview Cluster One - Part One

When I asked David Cordover for an interview, I wasn't sure about his availability. I mean the guy's really busy, and his workload since he revealed his intentions to be a candidate for CV's presidency did not get any easier.
    So I thought OK I will email him and ask him and we'll see what happens! In minutes came the enthusiastic response to my request for a blitz interview:
    "Sure I used to love Blitz. Finished 4th in Aus Champs one year...
    Kept loosing to that little bugger Smerdon though.."

Concluding with…
    "Excellent - so as mutual Collingwood fans we'll both make sure no questions about AFL are in the interview at all. "
    I mean you 've gotta love the guy, won't you?
    OK now enough niceties, let's get on with the interview...

How would you describe your admittedly bold, brazen and (for some) obnoxious move? I mean is it a coup, is it a putsch, is it a revolt, is it a real revolution?

I wouldn't call it a revolution at all. I am calling it an EVOLUTION. I do not wish to REPLACE those who are already working hard for the benefit of Victorian Chess Players. I believe that I have unique skills which will ADD significantly to the ability of Chess Victoria to perform their duties in a professional manner. I will help their change from Tax Collectors to Service Providers.

It's not that CV is doing anything WRONG at present -- it's just that they aren't doing much of anything! It all comes down to a lack of a clear vision and plan - which is the domain of leadership to create.

Previous CV leaders haven't been able to come up with the sort of ideas that I'm generating simply because they don't know the ideas are possible in the first place!

You ‘ve managed to make a lot of noise in a very short time! was your move planned for a long period of time or was it taken in the spirit of the moment?

I've always been very loud; used to play the trumpet!

There was a little planning - I wanted to get a feeling from the clubs to see if they were really READY for change. It appeared that there was lots of energy in the clubs and they needed a more energetic leadership at the State level.

What really convinced me was the CV Presidents' meeting... I attended and was impressed by the clubs enthusiasm and less than impressed by the CV attitude, structure and actions.

It looks like the defence of the CV castle, has been undertaken by non Victorians who coincidently are not exactly the best mates of the current CV regime! Why is that?

I guess because most Victorians are actually in favour of change. We are (and always have been) the leaders when it comes to chess in this country - other states are far more conservative. I'm sure that once Victoria paves the way that others will be able to follow shortly.

Why do you think there isn’t some official reaction to your move / statements by CV so far? Do you think the surprise element is working in your favour, or you are expecting some belated counter action from the status quo?

CV have made only a handful of offical announcements all year. It would be unlikely that they change their uncommunicative style now. 

It's also much better for ego's to not run rather to 'lose' an election. (You've always got the self-delusion "I would have..."). So perhaps any others who had considered running were waiting to see where the winds blew - and now it is clear that change is on the wind they are keeping quiet.

I mean you have been very careful in (not) disclosing the people you co-operate with! One, however, has to be very naïve to believe that it’s only you and a couple of mates who are behind this. OK we know about Carl Gorka, whose abilities are well known and respected but the presence of one of the most important and successful Chess personalities in Australia can almost be felt as a vital part - a key factor of your move! What’s IM Robert Jamieson’s position in the David Cordover putsch?

I'm not really in a position to comment on other people's positions.

Now that people are excited about change and are starting to see the real potential of chess in the state; the next phase of the campaign will be to draw out some potential new talent from the chess players of Victoria. Nobody's interested in being on a stale old committee - but now with a bit of ZING in the air I think we can expect some new faces to appear (and possibly some old to re-appear).

There is also talk that you haven’t revealed all your cards yet! Rumour has it that a number of coaches, (that’s apart from your personnel) have already been approached to form an alliance which will give the professional teachers of chess the immediate control over the “volunteer / well meaning but amateuristic” present CV leadership!

I've revealed all my cards, sorry I've nothing up my sleeve!

There are 13 'professional' chess coaches in Victoria (apart from those who work for Chess Kids). It wouldn't surprise me if they banded together to try and gain control over CV for no reason other than 'to stop Cordover'. I don't think this would work - clubs are the ones voting and they can tell who's working for the betterment of Victoria and who's just out to 'stop Cordover'.
    I don't think this would work - clubs are the ones voting and they can tell who's working for the betterment of Victoria and who's just out to 'stop Cordover'. While I may be a controversial political candidate nobody can doubt my ability to get things done and create results. I think clubs really want to see a few runs on the board and I'm clearly the only candidate who can deliver (well, at the moment the only candidate full stop).

Same question applies to certain top players that have reportedly been approached to support your move! Is this the case? Or let’s rather think of the imaginary scenario (although having watched your style in recent weeks nothing can be left to the imagination) of an underlying theme of a break away Players’ Pact (something similar to the Kasparov move in the ‘90s). Has it been considered?

No. No breakaway pacts. No exciting top-players in on 'it'. Its all rather straight-forward.

One of the things which CV can do much better is to be more transparent - so I'm starting as I mean to go on. Everything in my arsenal is on my blog. No surprises.

The above question was related to your dealings with the ACF rather than the CV! Do you really think that you can match it with people like Bill Gletsos? Of course you aren’t naïve to believe that ACF will buy your assurances of not really be against them or that you are not undermining their position in the top echelon of Australian Chess?

Hehe... I did have plans a few years back to create a Revolution and just toss out the ACF. But I've mellowed a bit in my old age -- really the ACF is a bit like an old bunny rabbit. They're harmless.

Who knows what will happen in the long run because it is just SO HARD to make change at ACF level when one state can veto all change at the National Conference vote. The ACF is safe for at least 5 years while I help get Victoria on track. After that, who knows.

Apparently, some Victorian Clubs are more sympathetic than others in regards to your cause; as the AGM time approaches rapidly have you made any progress in that field?

I think there are 12 affiliated clubs in Victoria (a bit hard to be clear on that because of the lack of communication from CV)... as of now I'm expecting support from 8 of them, and would hope that by the AGM I have 10 or even 12 who intend to support my election.

Is Carl Gorka’s not being in Melbourne last week related to some sort of interstate mission in regards to the “cause”?

Yes, he's been sent to assassinate key political opponents from interstate. He's very good with fire you know....
    Last edited by ER; 25-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

The David Cordover Interview Cluster One - Part Two

According to my information one of the very supportive bases of your move will be the schools you are working with in terms of providing venues for future tournaments and other possibilities. Are you improving on that field?

CV has a primary customer of 1600-2000 rated players - they'll rarely come in contact with schools so it isn't really relevant. I'm sure that as President I'll use my connections to benefit CV and their events in any way possible.

Educational institutions have no reason to go against your move since they will have to deal with people like yourself and othe members of your team who they already know. It is obvious you guys can be bearers of ideas and attractive plans of state/nation wide school competitions with excellent prospects of success and as such positive exposure of their educational institutions. Are you going to use your excellent contacts with the schools in order to obtain some financial support from local/state/fed Govts?

Educational institutions have no say over Govt grants. We have to go to Govt for that.

Similarly, with parents who know and trust their children's chess teachers, and I am not talking about club juniors here. As I have stated elsewhere in the Forum as well as in private discussions with many leading chess personalities in Australia your work and personality is well known and accepted in the wider community, and you are not to be underestimated. I have personal experience of this popularity! What’s the secret of your success?

Hard work and passion. I love chess and am never satisfied that something is good enough...it can always be improved.
    And stay away from fizzy drinks -- they rot your brain.

I am convinced that in Bill’s question about abandoning the ACF rating system and funnelling of revenue into a "new empire" the answer is yes! Not as a short term move but yes! The answer is also yes to those who suspect that Cordover's grandiose long term plans might include the establishment of a new Chess authority. Am I wrong?

It might hurt their feelings; but the ACF is too small to worry about when it comes to ratings. David Flude guessed it -- we'll be going direct to FIDE to take over the world.

This was David Cordover's response to my questions! He changed nothing, he asked for none and made no favours either! What you see is what you get. Love him or hate him David pulls no punches and takes no prisoners! It's your turn now! He is ready and willing to answer any questions or clarify anything you think it's not made clear in his original response!
    Last edited by ER; 25-09-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC International Master

How much will be the annual subscription.

Will you be asking two clubs to move and second a motion that the annual fee per player be increased to $50 per head.

If CV has to pay the ACF 30 cents per player per game for every normal game rated and 10 cents per player per game for every rapid game rated, what fees under a CV Cordover presidency would David be suggesting that a player would need to be paying for CV to process the tournament and pass it on to the ACF for rating.

Specifically how much would David under his presidency have CV charge each Victorian player on a annual basis as a membership/rating fee and how much would you be charging a player on either a per tournament fee or per game per tournament fee.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

extra extra extra!!!

Hi David, I have extra questions from readers who apart from posting their questions here have for various reasons chosen to email them, or message them to me!

Here are some of them:

David, why are you doing this? You have variously said it is because of passion and altruism in one form or another in various posts.

Did Elliott buy this and therefore didn't challenge you? (I solemny declare there was no attempt on behalf of David to infuence my questionnaire in any shape or form)

Is it that substantial inroads to your market share of school coaching has been made in the past two years?

Are you aware that CV does none of this? Are you aware that Commercial competitors do it?

Are you aware that those commercial competitors are willing to pay a licence fee to CV to have the events as qualifiers to the VIC Schools FINALS, which CV does run (this is not coaching)?

Is it true that you are unwilling to pay this licence fee at even a 50% discount (for volume)?

Is it true that instead you want all qualifiers to be processed through your badged paperwork/computer?

Are you aware that this would be severe restraint of trade on Johansen, Sandler, Speck, and others?

Is it true that in short your motivation is to cripple your competitors by using CV to force all other through your badged paperwork?

Do you object to the fact that the current CV President despite the fact that she is not actually posting on Chess Forums still has visions, integrity, effort, output and inspires? Do you agree that Katrin is vulnerable to your publicity campaign, but that does not make her incompetent?

Do you object to the fact the Presidents of ACF and TAS, SA, WA, QLD, ACT are other hard-workers also seemingly disengaged from Forum participation?

Who's going to win the flag (can you answer this first for obvious reasons?)
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Does The fact that the two of you are Collingwood supporters affect the integrity of the interview process?

DJ

Carltonlogo.jpg
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC FIDE Master
    David, why are you doing this? You have variously said it is because of passion and altruism in one form or another in various posts.
    I am lucky that I am able to be involved in chess every day of my life. I am passionate about chess and I love what I do.

I haven't really thought about adult/CV level chess for a number of years. When I left it was partly due to a disappointment and frustration that very few others could see the true potential and possibilities that existed from chess.

Recently it was brought to my attention that clubs are getting an inkling of what is possible - that excites me. I hope I am right in my belief that more and more people are starting to see the potential that exists in chess -- now they need help realising this potential.

Is it that substantial inroads to your market share of school coaching has been made in the past two years?

Are you aware that CV does none of this? Are you aware that Commercial competitors do it?
    Any decisions or intentions re CV are completely un-related to plans I have for my business.

I think that it is a real positive for Victoria that there are now 13 chess businesses in Melbourne! I can't say that it has made any negative impact on my business - we're continuing to grow each year; so I couldn't be happier.

Are you aware that those commercial competitors are willing to pay a licence fee to CV to have the events as qualifiers to the VIC Schools FINALS, which CV does run (this is not coaching)?

Is it true that you are unwilling to pay this licence fee at even a 50% discount (for volume)?
    Yes, I'm aware. It is correct that CV offered Chess Kids a 50% discount on the fees and we declined.

Is it true that instead you want all qualifiers to be processed through your badged paperwork/computer?

Are you aware that this would be severe restraint of trade on Johansen, Sandler, Speck, and others?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question...and perhaps you aren't either.

I did suggest that perhaps CV should try to standardise their events. One way that they could do this would be to licence the tournament structure/software that Chess Kids has created. This would be no different from Virgin Mobile or Crazy Johns re-selling Telstra services -- it is a common wholesale business arrangement (and usually re-branded).

Is it true that in short your motivation is to cripple your competitors by using CV to force all other through your badged paperwork?
    If Chess Kids were to be a wholesale provider to any other chess businesses it would HAVE to be a win-win relationship. As a business we are OBSESSIVE about exceeding customer expectations ... any wholesale customer of ours will be certain to achieve positive outcomes for their business.

Do you object to the fact that the current CV President despite the fact that she is not actually posting on Chess Forums still has visions, integrity, effort, output and inspires? Do you agree that Katrin is vulnerable to your publicity campaign, but that does not make her incompetent?
    Katrin is a very competent and able person. I think she's doing her best for chess. I have never suggested that she is anything less.

I would say that she communicates somewhat less than I'd like to see a CV President doing, but it's her style and I don't criticise HER for that. We just have different beliefs.

Do you object to the fact the Presidents of ACF and TAS, SA, WA, QLD, ACT are other hard-workers also seemingly disengaged from Forum participation?
    Without wanting to offend the owners/users of this forum; it's not really the place for serious debate, formal announcements etc. As you can see from the statistics of various threads that I've been involved with. Anything which calls for straight ideas and constructive thought gets pretty much no hits. Those threads with an opportunity to post personal attacks and abuse are much more popular!

I think it's probably wise that other Presidents aren't regular visitors here. I've been fairly high-profile here on the forum, yet when I show up at a club many members are not even aware that I'm running!!

After the AGM it is much more likely that I'd prefer a CV website posting place - so make the most of my time here!

Who's going to win the flag (can you answer this first for obvious reasons?)
    Too late for a prediction - but I'll just say I'm pleased with the result!

About 400 hits less than 24 hours after original publishing! not that bad!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC International Master William AS's Avatar

Thread Information