Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    Back on the track, Elliott ... Keep up the good work.
    Thanks a lot Henryk, but I am afraid it is more like an one off venture for the time being!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Takes a lot of courage for an amateur to fight so bravely (and well-played too!) against the top seed! Well done!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Takes a lot of courage for an amateur to fight so bravely (and well-played too!) against the top seed! Well done!
    Yes I was very impressed with this too.

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    ER. Well, after all, it was only fair to be chosen, since despite the fact that Layla finished 1st in Auckland’s Zonal you were the only player who beat her! Do you remember that Marathon of a game? (*)Tell us about it!

KH The Round 5 game with Layla went for more than 5 and a half hours. It was a morning round, and I was so tired before the start of the game as Andrew and I had been up until 3am preparing for it.
    I don't recommend that normally. It won't be much good if this preparation helps Black gain a small plus of say -0.5, but later on hang a piece through exhaustion. But this was certainly first-rate preparation of the Chebanenko Slav, which includes how to play the resulting middlegame. After tamping down all the light squares with Ps then swapping off the light-squared B, Black was at least equal. Kathryn played this whole game very well; even the nitpicky computer has hardly any problem with her play. A few comments below.

(*)[Event "Oceania Zonal Women 2017"]
    [Site "Auckland NZL"]
    [Round "5.1"]
    [Date "2017.1.17"]
    [White "Timergazi, Layla"]
    [Black "Hardegen, Kathryn"]
    [Result "0-1"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 04-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Part Three of Kathry Hardegen Interview

45500578_330623071068975_816777980834480128_n.jpg

ER Ju retained the World Champion’s crown but you came back to Australia thrilled with the experience of rubbing shoulders with the best in the world! What was it really like? Tell us a few things about the whole organisation, the playing conditions, the hotel?

KH. The organisation was great. The organisers were very well prepared for the chess event and the staff and volunteers that we interacted with were friendly and welcoming. The venue, the Ugra Chess Academy, is impressive from the outside and very comfortable inside. There is an analysis room on the ground floor, and rooms where commentators provided live commentary in different languages. There is also a computer room where it seemed that children’s chess classes were being held on most days. The local children begin learning chess from a very early age, and have access to the very best software, materials, coaches and facilities.

ER. What about the anti-cheating measures?

KH The playing hall is on the second floor. The playing conditions are pretty strict, with airport-style security. For instance, we were made to walk through metal detectors at the entrances to the venue and the playing hall, our bags had to be checked and we weren’t allowed to bring our own watches or pens into the hall. While the players and spectators were separated from each other, an arbiter was outside just to make sure that players did not communicate with each other or anyone outside. I think this is all necessary, as rules should be rules and cannot be broken.

ER. Communication in terms of language barriers?

KH The arbiters and organisers spoke Russian, and most did not speak much English. The players’ meeting was conducted mostly in Russian, with an English translator. Information in English about the tournament was hard to come by but the tournament hotel staff were well informed about the tournament and were very helpful whenever there was anything that we weren’t sure of.
    Notwithstanding the language barriers, the players were very well looked after. Our hotel room was cosy and big enough for the three of us. The playing hall was warm enough. The hotel food was excellent as was all of the food that we were fed in Russia. There were lots of sweets and snacks to eat during games, and we were able to experience reindeer steaks for the first time.
    Whenever we were outside, the ground was covered with snow, which was a new experience for us, but it was fun after all. We really enjoyed the snow, and whenever we went out my daughter Zoe loved to sleep as she was tucked into her winter suit. TO BE CONTINUED
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Part 4 (final part) of WFM Kathryn Hardegen Interview.

ER Apart from your chess mission, you had the opportunity to visit a few beautiful places in Russia; I know it was very cold but the presence of snow gave a magnificent eeriness in the pictures you posted.. A note or two about the cultural part including sightseeing of your travel?

KH We were able to spend 4 days in Moscow and then another 3 days in Khanty-Mansiysk before the first round. This time helped us to acclimatise and recover from our jetlag. Moscow is an amazing city, full of history, and spiritually and culturally rich. We were fortunate to be staying near Red Square and it was inspiring to walk through the streets, taking in everything and visiting famous landmarks like St Basil's Cathedral and the Kremlin.

The Russian people are among the most hospitable that I have encountered anywhere in the world. There is a language barrier, in that in Moscow and Khanty-Mansiysk we found very few Russians converse in English. However when people were able to figure out what we were asking for, they would always go out of their way to help us.

While we don't speak any Russian, Andrew does know the Greek alphabet so was able to pick up the Russian alphabet within a day or so. After that, it became very easy for us to make sense of everything, read restaurant menus etc. and get around Moscow using the Metro. We came well prepared for the weather, and never really felt cold at all.

Following the tournament, we spent 4 days in St Petersburg, which is very popular with Western tourists. It almost felt like we were in a western European city.

ER. In moments of reliving memories of your late dad, you have expressed
    sadness for his loss, as well as gratitude, love and appreciation for his influence in your life.
    Would you like to tell us a few things about him?

KH I owe a lot to both of my parents for instilling their virtues in me. My two sisters and my brother also played chess from an early age, and our parents' influence and support was essential. I have fond memories of playing chess with my dad and travelling to tournaments with my mum. I miss them both and am sorry that they were no longer here to share my journey to the World Championship, but I know that they are still watching.

ER. Also a note or two about the highlights of your chess career both in Philippines and Australia?

KH A highlight of my chess career was playing on Board 4 for Philippines in the 2002 Olympiad in Bled, Slovenia. Another was winning the Philippine Girls' Championship in 2003. Winning this tournament meant that I was able to represent Philippines in the 2003 Asian Junior Championships in Sri Lanka, where I met Andrew for the first time! Later that year, I travelled to Hanoi, Vietnam as a member of the Philippine team participating in the South East Asian Games.

Both Andrew and I took 6-7 years away from chess in our early/mid-20s before returning to competitive chess in 2014, at the age of 31.

ER. And a final note as an epilogue to this interview?

KH Thanks Andrew for helping me to gain my WFM title & WIM norm. Thanks Zoe for being cute and inspiring your mum. ^_^ Love you both to moon & back!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information