Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Thanks Howie!
    And ditto from me C U!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Club Liaison Officer for NSWCA. See www.nswca.org.au for the latest NSWCA news.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    I would advocate (I am not sure how this could be achieved though) getting a well-known personality outside the chess world at the helm of the ACF as President.
    I totally agree with this, and have been talking about this at the MCC. The British Chess Federation a while back had snooker player Steve Davis as their President. Adding celebrity status to our game can only add to the newsworthiness of chess.
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    That was a good read
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

celebrity status

Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    I totally agree with this, and have been talking about this at the MCC. The British Chess Federation a while back had snooker player Steve Davis as their President. Adding celebrity status to our game can only add to the newsworthiness of chess.
    Hi Carl, amazingly enough, in a discussion I had in Sydney during the recent SIO, chessplayers raised this possibilty as well!
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    That was a good read
    and thanks!
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

GM Efstratios Grivas Interview

GM Efstratios Grivas many times Greek National Champion, was a member of the Greek National Team 186 times from 1982 until 1999 (when he retired), participated in eight Olympiads, three European Team Championships, twelve Balkaniads and various other events. Winning the Silver Individual Medal (on the 3rd board) in the 33rd Chess Olympiad in 1998 was one of his greatest achievements and remains the only Chess Olympic medal Greece has ever won to this day.

He has also played for various teams in Greece, Germany and Turkey and is the Coach of the Turkish National Team.

A significant role in his development was the training he received in Moscow in 1984 by outstanding members of the chess world.

As an author GM Grivas has written 46 chess books, essays and studies (in Greek, English, Spanish ad Turkish languages).

He has also served as a board member of FIDE’s Players’ Council (1998-2002), a board member of FIDE’s Trainers’ Committee (2005-2008) and Secretary of FIDE’s Trainers’ Commission (2009-). He holds the titles of FIDE International Organizer, FIDE International Arbiter and FIDE Senior Trainer.

GM Efstratios Grivas, thanks for kindly accepting to do this interview for Chess Chat - Australia’s own Chess Forum. Of course you are justifiably proud of all those wonderful achievements mentioned above, but please share with one or two that you will always remember and cherish more than any other!

EG: Thank you for your invitation and regards to the ACF friends!

Well, back in 1985 I participated in the World Junior Championship U.20, where I finished on the 4th position. It was a good tournament for me as I also finished undefended (+4/=9/-0), playing always in the top boards and behind me finished Anand, Ivanchuk and other top-names. In the last round I badly drew a winning position which would allow me to receive the bronze medal. So I did not know if I should be happy for the 4th position or I should cry for losing the medal. The only one that I knew for sure was that whatever I would do would be right!

The second case which has been drawn in my mind took place back in late 1999. I felt that it was time to withdraw of the Greek National Team (before somebody kicks me out!). It was a difficult situation as just one year ago I had won the Silver medal in the 1998 Olympiad and still my rating was high, but I realised that I was already the older guy in the team… So, I thought that I should give ground to the youngsters, as I already served my country for about 18 years. I sent a letter to the federation, thanking them for letting me play in the National Team and resigning my playing and financial rights (my monthly salary!).

You recently celebrated 30 years of Chess involvement in so many aspects of the game. Your efforts had excellent results and your success is internationally recognised. What are the plans for the next 30 years? Are you planning a comeback as a player?

EG: Thirty years of playing chess over the board are already many and I am feeling that it is over. I do not have even the slightest intention to come back and to be honest I do not know if I really can.

You see, youth and good physical condition are two assets that people tend to forget that they are rather important for participating in top level, even in our (supposed to be) mental sport. And I have neither of the above, as I am already 44 years old and my health is not the best that you can imagine (last year I even had a heart attack – luckily I survived). So, no playing plans for the next thirty years; I prefer to make some shorter plan, lets say for the five years, where I would be more concerned to raise up my children than trying to fight over the board.

I am happy with what I did in the last thirty years and I had my fair piece of success in nearly whatever I delt with. Of course I am still ambitious and happy to take over new challenges; this makes the world go round!

So, these days I am finishing over a series of 7 books on the middlegame and endgame. In cooperation with three other GMs we will shortly introduce a very interesting series of 25 books in total which we hope that they will create a Chess School on terms of good education.

A Greek champion, coaching the Turkish national side! Taking under consideration the rather turbulent history between the two nations, that must have been a great achievement in itself. Do you think that Chess can be a catalyst for international peace and co-operation?

EG: Of course this is not something you come across daily! I am honoured that I am the first ever Greek sportsman (and the only one by today) in every sport that cooperated officially with a Turkish sport federation.

Being the Head Trainer of the Turkish National Mens Team for the last 4 years is already an achievement if take into consideration the various ‘problems’ between Greece and Turkey. But of course chess is being guided by smart people and of course it can be a catalyst of peace and cooperation in-between countries.

I have to say that I love my country but I am mostly honoured that I work and help the development of our sport in a supposed-to-be ‘traditionally unfriendly’ country. Together with the federation officers and team members we are creating the right environment to prove that Greek and Turkish people can live and work in perfect cooperation and harmony. It is true that looking at the past we can see many things that divide us but I think that if we look at the future then we will find that we have much more that could unite us.

I must also mention that the President of the Turkish Chess Federation Mr. Ali Nihat Yazici is rather active on this subject and above all he is the locomotive of the Turkish Chess progress over the last years.

In your playing days you had the chance to play against the greatest players of the modern world. Please name some of them who impressed you not only with their play but their personal charisma as well!

EG: Well, it is true that I have played with many great players of the ‘short past’, like V.Anand, V.Topalov, V.Kramnik, V.Smyslov, P.Svidler, B.Gelfand, A.Shirov, P.Leko, Z.Almasi, S.Movsesian, N.Short, V.Bologan, J.Polgar, F.Caruana, K.Georgiev and others. I am really proud of the fact that with all the above mentioned players I have played in total 21 games with an excellent score of 10,5 points (+1/=18/-1). I only have lost once to Kramnik and won once versus Georgiev, with 18 draws.

Vishy Anand is a player with an extreme personality, very good suited to promote chess worldwide. But of course Garry Kasparov with his positive and negative sides of his character was the ideal man to promote our sport. You see, a perfect sportsman is not only that who knows how to perform his sport by excellent skills but the one that also can add his ‘personality’ and promote it in the best possible way. That’s why (although I fully admire and respect as a player) I cannot add Robert Fischer in that list.

We know that your company and yourself are involved with the present World Championship Match in Sofia and that both GMs Topalov and Anand are your personal friends but of what you have seen so far, is it possible to give us a prediction (or a hint of a prediction) for the outcome of this match?

EG: It is clear that both players, together with M. Carlsen and V. Kramnik are the very best ones worldwide for the moment. Anything in-between them can be considered a top-class match and any outcome is possible. For the present match Vishy is better prepared for long positional battles and Veselin for short tactical hits. Both will try to ‘invite’ the enemy to his camp and his likenesses. I would be surprised if the match will not be ended with something like 6,5-5,5 for either side.

And of course I cannot wish to any of them good luck as I consider them friends and people that I generally like. I personally know Anand since 1985 and Topalov since 1990, when they were still in their younger years. I can only wish that they will continue to amaze us with their attractive style and may the best win!

And our final question for the day. What would be the best piece of advice you would give to our junior players?

EG: Hard work under the guideness of a skilled trainer. As in every aspect talent is just your ability to find your potentials. The failed tend to blame anything but their luck of talent, instead of blaming their laziness.

Below is a small fragment of one of my ‘Chess College’ series books, which explains my way of thinking for the ideal trainer:

The ‘Ideal’ Trainer

There are two main categories of chess-players. In the first one belong those who attain pleasure from the study of books, analysis and generally observe chess life 'from afar', without competing. In the second belong those who, without neglecting all the above, enjoy the direct fight, combining these aspects with the pleasure they draw from imposing their ideas and thoughts on those of the opponent.

The chess-player that permanently competes is genetically programmed to dominate and question authority. He is destined to compete, to compare, to become better than the next guy. He is worried about the 'natural end' and desperately seeks material gains and as much happiness as possible. Chess is a bloodless battle and the concept of peace is practically non-existent. And this is the constant vindication of Plato, who wrote in his Laws that ‘there is an undeclared and permanent war among everyone, imposed by some natural law, and the word peace is decorative’.

It is true that someone may be destined to be a Hollywood star, a prince or a millionaire, just as it is true that nobody is destined to become a grandmaster. The accomplishment of this task requires hard and persistent work. One must have passion to climb the chess Olympus; otherwise it is a waste of time. Passion is uncontrollable; it comes from the soul, not the mind.

Strong chess-players, when they retire from competitive play, lack a natural career path. Most of them decide to disappear from the chess community, but some of them stick around and occupy themselves with the art of training. They are ready to convey their knowledge and experience, and are able to draw pleasure from the competitive and artistic achievements of those they have assisted.

The ideal trainer, the expert in the art of training, does not differentiate between work and play, job and pleasure, spirit and body, lesson and break, love and religion. He barely even knows which is which. He simply follows a vision of superiority, no matter what he is doing, leaving his students to determine when he is working and when he is playing. He himself is always doing both!

It is said that 'only gods and fallen angels are alone'. Great chess-players have never been gods, but they can have disciples.

GM Grivas thanks for your time and good luck with your future plans!

In the following links you will find more information about GM Efstratios Grivas, his books, his games, and other details.

1.. Turkish Chess Federation (TSF): www.tsf.org.tr
    2.. Efstratios Grivas: www.GrivasChess.com
    3.. International Chess Federation (FIDE): www.fide.com
    4.. FIDE Trainers Commission (TRG): http://trainers.fide.com
    5.. Greek Chess Federation (ESO): www.chessfed.gr
    6.. Online Bookstore Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url =search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=efstratios+grivas
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Excellent

Great stuff, both of you!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Club Liaison Officer for NSWCA. See www.nswca.org.au for the latest NSWCA news.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Excellent interview JaK. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Quote Originally Posted by lost
    Excellent interview JaK. Well done.
    Thanks guys, I will convey your messages to GM Grivas!
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Impressive interview

Well Done!

A very impressive interview!

Indeed!

BTW, Grivas was at the same World Junior Champs as I, in Belfort, France (1983).
    So let me see if I have this straight:
    • People are born male but can change to female.
    • People are born white but can change to black.
    • People are born homosexual but can never change.

Makes perfect sense I guess …

Thanks JaK and GM Grivas for an inspiring interview!

Quote Originally Posted by George
    Well Done!
    A very impressive interview!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Indeed!

BTW, Grivas was at the same World Junior Champs as I, in Belfort, France (1983).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean
    Thanks JaK and GM Grivas for an inspiring interview!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny
    Excellent interview JaK!

Thanks George, Jono, Jean and Jenny. I am sure the GM will be very pleased to read all these enthusiastic messages. Apart from being very happy to do this interview he took it very seriously, sending me some corrections before it was published!
    Last edited by Elliott Renzies; 28-04-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Excellent interview JaK!

Thread Information