Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Australian Young and Junior Masters

The Australian Young and Junior Masters is to be held in Canberra from the 14th to 18th April. It will be held alongside the NECG training tournaments. In fact the line between the two is fairly blurred, with many of the NECG kids electing to play in the longer Young/ Junior Masters instead. Unfortunately many of the top juniors are involved in HSC/Uni this year, but the field assembled should lead to some exciting chess.

Participants are still being finalised and will be added to the web site as soon as confirmations are received.

Website has been created by one of the ACT's most active volunteers Ian Rout.

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan.../YoungMasters/

CC Candidate Master
    can i ask how the players were selected? do you have to be in the NECG squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hu
    can i ask how the players were selected? do you have to be in the NECG squad?
    No Jason you don't.

For the Australian Young Masters, I took the best players Under 20 list and worked my way down. I invited 10 players initially and as refusals came in, I asked the next person down. Once I ran out of the best under 20 list, I invited Gareth who, after scouring the ratings lists, I am pretty sure is is no 21 on the best under 20 and Raymond Song, because I thought that it would be good experience for him and get him ready for the under 10 in Crete later in the year. (obviously he is our big medal hope).

The final place is actually being held for Jonathan Humphrey - he wants to play but has the problem of a Uni assignment due the day after the comp finishes. Most of the other under 20's who turned it down, did so because of School or Uni work. Jonathan is trying to find a way to do both, but the place might still be vacant.

With the Junior masters - I have effectively turned it into an Australian Junior Masters. Last year when NSW ran it, it was designed as a local NSW tournament, although Junta Ikeda did end up playing, because they had a few vacant spots. I really didn't want another local ACT tournament, as our juniors play each other too much already. I also thought it would be nice to give some of the older NECG kids a longer tournament to play in. I thus ended up with a bit of a mixture - I gave some of our local juniors an invitation to give them the opportuntity to play in a strong tournament with out of town juniors. I added in some NECG kids and James Cronan heard the tournament was happening and asked if he could play.

Two NECG training tournaments will be running alongside the Young and Junior Masters. Doeberl finishes on Monday 12th. Tuesday 13th sees the NECG training day attended by the 20 squad members. Wednesday 14th all 36 kids will be playing in 4 tournaments. The NECG tournaments conclude on Friday 16th, with the Young and Junior Masters finishing on Sunday 18th.

The opening ceremony will happen on Wednesday 14th and will also be the official launch of the NECG squad. Tracey Fisher from NECG will be attenidng and Senator Kate Lundy and MLA Bill Stefaniak will be making speeches. I am hoping to get reasonable meda coverage.

I hope that answers your question Jason (and probably about 3 times more than you wanted to hear).

Were you interested in playing?

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for answering. Yeah, I wanted to play. I guess i'll just have to get my rating up and get invited next year.

And good luck with all the players who are playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hu
    Thanks for answering. Yeah, I wanted to play. I guess i'll just have to get my rating up and get invited next year.

And good luck with all the players who are playing!
    Yes it is a bit of a function of rating unfortunately - however you have gone up heaps in the last year and I am sure will continue to do so!

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Hi Jenni,

It's not surprising that you didn't consider Jason, because I for one had never heard of him until two weeks ago (!), and yet he has just finished =2nd in the (senior) City of Sydney Champs! Don't know how old he is though and I didn't play him.

I took it that his questions to you regarding the Young Masters were an appeal to the chess community in general that no one has noticed his rapid rise, although that is about to change when the chess press notice the CoS result. His rating has gone from 1590 to 1700 in March and will probably go up another couple of hundred next list.

Best wishes with the Young Masters tournaments,
    Greg
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 30-03-2004 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Canfell
    Hi Jenni,

It's not surprising that you didn't consider Jason, because I for one had never heard of him until two weeks ago (!), and yet he has just finished =2nd in the (senior) City of Sydney Champs! Don't know how old he is though and I didn't play him.

I took it that his questions to you regarding the Young Masters were an appeal to the chess community in general that no one has noticed his rapid rise, although that is about to change when the chess press notice the CoS result. His rating has gone from 1590 to 1700 in March and will probably go up another couple of hundred next list.

Best wishes with the Young Masters tournaments,
    Greg
    Hi Greg

Actually Jason was on my radar, as he played in the Aus juniors in Perth and did very well there. In fact Gareth was lucky to get a win against him, as it was a looking like heading for a draw until Jason made a mistake.

He did beat Dusan Stojic and drew with Moulthun Ly and Vincent Suttor - only a bit of a fade at the end of the tournament prevented him from a much higher finish. Jason turns 17 this year, so he still has a number of years to play the Young Masters and if he continues to improve as he has in the last year, he will definitely be qualifying for it.

Jenni,

Thanks for the extra info on this junior who I hitherto didn't know anything about. My surprise was partly a case of "How dare this junior I've never heard of come equal second with me in the Sydney Championship?", so I'm glad to hear you have him on the radar.

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 30-03-2004 at 09:14 AM.

Jason Hu is a fantastic player and he has rarely failed me when I tipped him to win. Take last Sunday in the blitz. He and I were playing on adjacent boards - he against Bolens and I against Camer. Just before the start I said to Bolens that Jason would beat him. Bolens' reply was to immediately make a bet. I declined. Anyway, on we went. Half way through our games Bolens then said something like, "Put your money down, I'm going to win". Guess what happened? Jason Hu beat Bolens!

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Jason Hu is a fantastic player and he has rarely failed me when I tipped him to win. Take last Sunday in the blitz. He and I were playing on adjacent boards - he against Bolens and I against Camer. Just before the start I said to Bolens that Jason would beat him. Bolens' reply was to immediately make a bet. I declined. Anyway, on we went. Half way through our games Bolens then said something like, "Put your money down, I'm going to win". Guess what happened? Jason Hu beat Bolens!

AR
    Amiel Rosario is a fantastic player and he has rarely failed to successfully tip an event after it has happened. I would say that he is close to 99.9 percent in this field, although he does even better when his beloved RP is involved.

Don't be a smart-a.s.s towards me man. Listen, can I ak you when you discovered the BB? Has it changed your life at all? Better or worse?

AR

I tip Smerdon and Bourmistrov to clear out from the rest of the field in the Australian Young Masters, with Oliver and Song to fight it out for third.

I can't really make any tips in the Junior Masters as I don't know enough about the players.

I also tip Rosario to make some wise and knowledgeable comments about both tournaments after they're all over.

CC Grandmaster
    Well, surprise, surprise I will predict Smerdon for the young masters. I will be quite interested in Giang Nguyen goes as she is capable of finishing 2nd in the field but hasn't played much recently. I will predict Ly in the junior masters as I don't think Obst has played enough chess at that level to play consistently enough to win it. James Cronan to be the other big threat.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Canfell
    I tip Smerdon and Bourmistrov to clear out from the rest of the field in the Australian Young Masters, with Oliver and Song to fight it out for third.

I can't really make any tips in the Junior Masters as I don't know enough about the players.

I also tip Rosario to make some wise and knowledgeable comments about both tournaments after they're all over.
    I agree that David and Denis should be out in front, but after that it gets very hard. All of them are capable of good chess - e.g Dusan Stojic I have known for years and is very talented and a tough player or Michael Wei, whom I know will put hours of preparation into his games.

The Junior Masters is going to be really fun and it would be a brave person who made a prediction there!

If Jonathan Humphrey plays, I'd tip him to come second behind Smerdon.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Thread Information