Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444

    FIDE Ratings April 2004

    FIDE have finished their calculating for the April 2004 rating list and are asking players to check their ratings. Based on the expected changes on the FIDE website the top 12 players in Australian are going to be,
    Ian Rogers 2582
    Darryl Johansen 2489
    Garry Lane 2449
    Trevor Tao 2421
    John-Paul Wallace 2410
    Stephen Solomon 2404
    Michael Gluzman 2403
    Alex Wohl 2401
    David Smerdon 2393
    Leonid Sandler 2390
    Mark Chapman 2388
    Zong-Yuan Zhao 2386

    This list is based on my own calculations so if there is an errors I apologise. The offical FIDE list will be out on the 1st of April.
    Scott

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    Hey you fellas. I had a bit of problem logging onto the site last night - did you have same prob? I did ping and tracert and it seems the site disappeared.

    AR

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,081
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey you fellas. I had a bit of problem logging onto the site last night - did you have same prob? I did ping and tracert and it seems the site disappeared.

    AR
    http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=497

  4. #4
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey you fellas. I had a bit of problem logging onto the site last night - did you have same prob? I did ping and tracert and it seems the site disappeared.
    See. You haven't been paying attention.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Hello. The ratings are now offical, with the ratings now available for look up or downloading from the FIDE website. There is one change to the ratings I calculated based on the expected changes. Aleks Wohls new ratings is 2399, not 2401 as I stated above.
    Scott

  6. #6
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    Hello. The ratings are now offical, with the ratings now available for look up or downloading from the FIDE website. There is one change to the ratings I calculated based on the expected changes. Aleks Wohls new ratings is 2399, not 2401 as I stated above.
    Scott
    Based on FIDE's original information on their web site your rating of 2401 was correct. Obviously FIDE's original information was wrong.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Yep Bill, My maths was okay.
    FIDE also seem to have mucked up the situation with the inactive flags. Trevor Tao and Ingela Eriksson are still shown inactive despite playing the Australian Championships. I guess FIDE has to be trusted to get something wrong, they always seem to.
    Scott

  8. #8
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    the top 10 players in the world

    1 Kasparov, Garry 2817
    2 Anand, Viswanathan 2774
    3 Kramnik, Vladimir 2764
    4 Leko, Peter 2741
    5 Topalov, Veselin 2737
    6 Svidler, Peter 2733
    7 Morozevich, Alexander 2732
    8 Adams, Michael 2731
    9 Polgar, Judit 2728
    10 Ponomariov, Ruslan 2722

    The world champion is ranked number 1, number 3 and number 10
    Always do your Best

  9. #9
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,580
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    the top 10 players in the world

    1 Kasparov, Garry 2817
    2 Anand, Viswanathan 2774
    3 Kramnik, Vladimir 2764
    4 Leko, Peter 2741
    5 Topalov, Veselin 2737
    6 Svidler, Peter 2733
    7 Morozevich, Alexander 2732
    8 Adams, Michael 2731
    9 Polgar, Judit 2728
    10 Ponomariov, Ruslan 2722

    The world champion is ranked number 1, number 3 and number 10
    Kasparov isnt World Champion by anyones reckoning even his own.

  10. #10
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Kasparov isnt World Champion by anyones reckoning even his own.
    i thought dude that he was whinging that Kramnik would not give him a rematch

    and what about Bobby Fischer?? he is still the world champ by his reckoning as he did not play Karpov and kept the world champ title. Prior to FIDE the world champ title belonged to the world champ. That was the case during the time of Lasker and Steintz and Alekhine
    Always do your Best

  11. #11
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,580
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    i thought dude that he was whinging that Kramnik would not give him a rematch

    and what about Bobby Fischer?? he is still the world champ by his reckoning as he did not play Karpov and kept the world champ title. Prior to FIDE the world champ title belonged to the world champ. That was the case during the time of Lasker and Steintz and Alekhine
    So what.
    Kasparov legitimately put any title he held on the line when he played Krammnik. Kasparov lost. End of Story.

    As for Fischer perhaps back in 1975 people would have believed his claims that he was the true champion. But he never seriously played again except for that match in 92 against Spassky. Its now 2004. No one believes he is the worlds best except Bobby.

  12. #12
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    So what.
    Kasparov legitimately put any title he held on the line when he played Krammnik. Kasparov lost. End of Story.

    As for Fischer perhaps back in 1975 people would have believed his claims that he was the true champion. But he never seriously played again except for that match in 92 against Spassky. Its now 2004. No one believes he is the worlds best except Bobby.
    OK. When Kramink beat Kasparove he got any title Kasparov had

    And Fischer cannot be world champ. Yes

    So 2 world champs in the world now. FIDE world champ number 10 abd unofficial world champ on number 3.

    For fischer - how did the title pass his hand?? If you are saying that it went away when he did not play karpov, then kasparov's went away when he did nnot play the FIDE champs. This means that Kasparov had nothing to give Kramnik, and so Kramnik is not the world champ

    If Kraminik is also the world champ, then Fisher still has the title as he never lost it. But Fisher is not the best player in the world at all. But kasparov is , even though he is not the world champ

    Always do your Best

  13. #13
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,580
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    OK. When Kramink beat Kasparove he got any title Kasparov had

    And Fischer cannot be world champ. Yes

    So 2 world champs in the world now. FIDE world champ number 10 abd unofficial world champ on number 3.

    For fischer - how did the title pass his hand?? If you are saying that it went away when he did not play karpov, then kasparov's went away when he did nnot play the FIDE champs. This means that Kasparov had nothing to give Kramnik, and so Kramnik is not the world champ

    If Kraminik is also the world champ, then Fisher still has the title as he never lost it. But Fisher is not the best player in the world at all. But kasparov is , even though he is not the world champ

    You know the history of this as well as I do Ar, so stop acting like a dope.

    Fischer lost the FIDe title when he refused to play Karpov. BY the time he played again in 92 no one seriously considerd him world champion.
    Kasparov lost the FIDE title when he and Short refused to play under FIDE's direction. However unlike Fischer, Kasparov continued to play.
    Now FIDE devalued their title when they started using KO tournaments.
    Kasparov started the PCA in a means of having a world title. He defended "this" title against Short then Anand and finally Krammnik. This title has/had credability because Kasparov was clearly the worlds best player.

    So FIDE has a devalued title of which Pono is the current holder.
    Krammnik is the holder of a title that can be linked back to the classical world champions but it is an "unofficial" title as far as FIDE is concerned.
    Of course it can be argued that FIDE acknowledge all this with their plans to create a unified title.

  14. #14
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You know the history of this as well as I do Ar, so stop acting like a dope.

    Fischer lost the FIDe title when he refused to play Karpov. BY the time he played again in 92 no one seriously considerd him world champion.
    Kasparov lost the FIDE title when he and Short refused to play under FIDE's direction. However unlike Fischer, Kasparov continued to play.
    Now FIDE devalued their title when they started using KO tournaments.
    Kasparov started the PCA in a means of having a world title. He defended "this" title against Short then Anand and finally Krammnik. This title has/had credability because Kasparov was clearly the worlds best player.

    So FIDE has a devalued title of which Pono is the current holder.
    Krammnik is the holder of a title that can be linked back to the classical world champions but it is an "unofficial" title as far as FIDE is concerned.
    Of course it can be argued that FIDE acknowledge all this with their plans to create a unified title.
    Firstly, I assure you that I am not Amiel

    Secondly, I get what you say. If Fischer was playing as well as Kasparov did when he "lost" the world champ to FIDE, you are saying that he too would have a legitimate right to the world champ title

    By that logic, if Kramnik was palying very badly like Fischer was playing he too would have no credibility in stating that he is the world champ. Right?
    Always do your Best

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,081
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    Firstly, I assure you that I am not Amiel

    Secondly, I get what you say. If Fischer was playing as well as Kasparov did when he "lost" the world champ to FIDE, you are saying that he too would have a legitimate right to the world champ title

    By that logic, if Kramnik was palying very badly like Fischer was playing he too would have no credibility in stating that he is the world champ. Right?
    ill step in here as i follow this saga about the world champs

    Fischer has no claims regarding the world championships after he failed to come to terms with fide in 1975. there have been no creditable claims that fide were being underhanded in their dealings in this matter. Karpov was the person who was to meet fischer. So Karpov was declared world champion.

    The situation after 1990 with kasparov is less clear. As we know, the very honest and fair fellow, campomenes(spell check) was president of fide at that time. kasparov believed that the grandmasters should leave fide and organisation their own chess organisation. Hence the birth of the professional chess association. When kasparov failed to defend the fide world championship in 1993, karpov was declared champion as he was the person who was supposed to play kasparov in 1993.

    this time though, most of the chess world believed that kasparov was the rightful world champion and was viewed as such. kasparov played nigel short under the control of pca and won their match in 1993. Pca folded as an organisation and was rebadged as the grandmasters association. in 1995 kaspa defended his title against anand and won again.

    At this stage fide were trying to get karpov to be able to defend the fide world championships. they then made the appauling decision to hold the fide world champ match in iraq in 1996 this decision flew in the face of un sanctions and was condemned by almost every chess organisation in the world, including russia.

    the new fide president wanted to get chess into the olympics and saw that to acheive this aim, the fide world title must be come more open to be won, hence the birth of the fide world knockout tournament. This format for a world title has been the most critisised format in the history of chess

    during this time of the knockout, kasparov and kramnik did not play in the fide knockout and were organising details for the braingames world championship.
    Kramnik won with a score of +2 =13 -0.

    the current situation for resolving all this is:

    Kramnik is to play Peter Leko later this year, around september
    Kasparov is to face the winner of the fide ko early next year i think.

    the winner of both of these matches will play each other for the classical world championship.

    then the title goes back to the old cycle of candidate matches.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 02-04-2004 at 12:52 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. University Open National 2004
    By adelaideuni in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 04:41 AM
  2. ACF June 2004 Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 11:26 PM
  3. ACF March 2004 Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: 14-04-2004, 03:58 AM
  4. ratings people are tops
    By bobby1992 in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 09:24 AM
  5. ACF Dec 2003 V FIDE Jan 2004
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 26-02-2004, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •