Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

World Championships 2004

On the FIDE website it states that the World Championships will be held from June 18 to July 13 in Tripoli, Lybia. This is a very interesting choice of venue, although Lybia seems to be have better relations than the west. I certainly would not be to keen to go there. Does anyone know whether Zone 3.2b (our zone) gets to send anyone. If so who? Johansen won the last zonal, but did not get to compete anywhere for winning it. Would he get to go if he wanted to, or would there need to be a new Zonal.

Scott

As far as I know Darryl having won the last Oceania Zonal is eligible to play in the Championship in Libya
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 23-03-2004 at 05:50 PM.

not only in libya

Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    On the FIDE website it states that the World Championships will be held from June 18 to July 13 in Tripoli, Lybia. This is a very interesting choice of venue, although Lybia seems to be have better relations than the west. I certainly would not be to keen to go there. Does anyone know whether Zone 3.2b (our zone) gets to send anyone. If so who? Johansen won the last zonal, but did not get to compete anywhere for winning it. Would he get to go if he wanted to, or would there need to be a new Zonal.

Scott
    scott,

note too that malta is an ancillary venue to cater for those who do not wish to set foot in libya for political or religious reasons

the fide president is apparently to approach qaddafi (spelling?) to provide visas for three israelis who DO wish to play in libya itself and to pay for or share costs for the above malta arrangement

eclectic

CC Candidate Master
    Alternative arrangements aside, I just think the choice of Libya to host is absurd.
    Last edited by samspade; 07-05-2004 at 03:43 PM.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    Alternative arrangements aside, I just think the choice of Libya to host is surely absurd.
    Why?

CC Grandmaster
    FIDE have released the list of players for there next championships on their website. The also have published regulations although they seem to be out of date, surprise, surprise. Anyway Darryl Johansen is amoung the Asian qualifier. They also seem to have invited all of the top players excluding Kasparov because they were either semifinalists at the lastest KO or are amoung the top twenty with ratings. The regulations say that this list was worked out using the average of the July 2002 and January 2003 rating lists. I hope not although I haven't checked the figures. For some reason though Zvjaginsev is shown on top of the list, not Kasparov. Perhaps Kasparov has already said he is not playing so they just slotted Zvjaginsev in at the top not the bottom of the list. It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.

Scott Colliver

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    FIDE have released the list of players for there next championships on their website. The also have published regulations although they seem to be out of date, surprise, surprise. Anyway Darryl Johansen is amoung the Asian qualifier. They also seem to have invited all of the top players excluding Kasparov because they were either semifinalists at the lastest KO or are amoung the top twenty with ratings. The regulations say that this list was worked out using the average of the July 2002 and January 2003 rating lists. I hope not although I haven't checked the figures. For some reason though Zvjaginsev is shown on top of the list, not Kasparov. Perhaps Kasparov has already said he is not playing so they just slotted Zvjaginsev in at the top not the bottom of the list. It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.
    What would have happened if Kasparov had entered and won it?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

You seem to be a keen expert on WC matters Scott. So lemme ask you mate. You reckon Euwe fluked it against Alekhine?

AR

Scott Colliver
    Kasparov does not have to play as he is guaranteed a match with the winner of the KO for the FIDE World Championship title. The winner of that is then supposed to play the winner of the Krammnik/Leko match.

The regulations say that this list was worked out using the average of the July 2002 and January 2003 rating lists. I hope not although I haven't checked the figures.
    The regulations are correct. You have to remember when these championships were originally scheduled and when the qualifiers originally qualified.

For some reason though Zvjaginsev is shown on top of the list, not Kasparov. Perhaps Kasparov has already said he is not playing so they just slotted Zvjaginsev in at the top not the bottom of the list.
    That is indeed correct.

It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.
    Well they qualify by rating and had not at that time announced they would not compete.

I suspect a number of players will decline the invitation and be replaced by others.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 02-04-2004 at 04:17 PM.

It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.

Scott Colliver
    now why in the hell would kramnik and leko need or want to play in the ko, they already have a match to worry about for the world championship semi final, i hope they arent trying to get two bites at the cherry

CC Grandmaster
    arosar, I have no idea. I am an expert in nothing in chess, especially not the relative strength of past world championships

Bill. You are correct the regulations are not out of date, as I found out when I had more that a glance through them, just stupid. There is absolutely no reason the July 2002 and January 2003 ratings should be used, they are out of date. I also think the April rating list should be used, not the January list. They are not obeying their own rules which are in the FIDE handbook that state the April list should be used for tournaments starting in June.

Scott

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    You seem to be a keen expert on WC matters Scott. So lemme ask you mate. You reckon Euwe fluked it against Alekhine?
    There are a couple of theories.

(1) Alekhine was "unmotivated" (ie drinking too heavily) at the time
    (2) Alekhine repaied Euwe for something (perhaps friendship) by gifting him the WCh
    (3) Alekhine was being pressured by an outside agency
    (4) Euwe was a better player

They're roughly in descending order of likelihood IMHO.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master

World Chess Championships

The number 1 tournament this year, the world champs, will take place in Libya this year. It will take place from June 18 to July 13

The winner will be the chess world champion, or to be more precise the FIDE World Champion.

There is trouble brewing already. The Association of Chess Professionals (ACP) has published a message to qualified participants of the 2004 World Chess Championship, not to hurry to sign the Players Undertaking and furthermore that the ACP has developed its own contract for the Championship.

FIDE has retailated by saying that the deadline for return of the Players Undertaking (April 21, 2004) will not be extended, and only those players who, within the deadline, sign and return to FIDE the Players Undertaking which is published and distributed by FIDE will be accepted to participate in the WCC.

The choice of Libya is controversial too with Isreali players and players who have been to Israel not being allowed to enter Libya

Will be fascinating to see what happens
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    This is the full list of the 128 players who will be playing in the world champs, and the 12 reserves if anyone drops out

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=412

Johansen is representing us

Aussie Aussie Aussie ....oi oi oi !!!!!
    Always do your Best

Thread Information