CC Candidate Master

Anyone using DGT - ChessTheatre?

While googling, I came across ChessTheatre - a new program for viewing and publishing chess games in PGN format, from the makers of the world famous DGT digital chess clocks. I downloaded a free copy from http://www.dgtprojects.com/chesstheatre.htm. Fantastic!! what a great chess progam that can view a whole tournament games. Its easy to install on my PC but I wonder, I found it hard to publish PGN games on the net. I can't find any sane instructions... I want to try this Macromedia Flash program on http://www.fianchetto.centralcoastchess.com. Anyone using ChessTheatre... Can anyone help???

CC Candidate Master
    In case you want to know... ChessTheatre is a Chess game viewer that make use of Macromedia Flash technology. This was developed by DGT project and was first released on mid July this year. Since the parent company is in Netherland, most of the blogs about ChessTheatre I found is in Dutch... You'll find ChessThreatre in this site http://www.deversoft.co.uk/hict/games.html ...

Hi Fianchetto,

We’ve started using ChessTheatre on the Rooty Hill web page alongside ChessGenie. We’ll continue using ChessGenie to display individual games but in future will probably use ChessTheatre to display tournament games. It seems ideally suited to displaying large numbers of games, while ChessGenie is magic for individual games and FEN diagrams.

Like yourself, I don’t quite understand how to make this work but I’ve received the following instructions from our webmaster who has set it up on the Rooty Hill site. No doubt I’ll work it out for myself over the next few days.

a) You must have downloaded the ChessTheatre on your PC.
    b) You need a PGN file to publish. For this execise you can use the attached
    wblitz06.pgn.
    c) Take note on the PGN file; for publishing a single Tournament - multiple
    games in a single pgn file, the event field on each PGN game must all have the
    same value. In the attached file, this is World Blitz.
    d) Now, fire up the ChessTheatre and click "Open PGN".
    e) Select the wblitz06.pgn.
    f) At this time you should be able to view the game....
    g) On the CT panel, click on "Publish" button.
    h) On the Pop-up panel, fill the following:
    FTP host: ftp.(your_isp)
    FTP Username: (your user name)
    FTP Password: (your password )
    FTP Remote directory: public_html/chesstheatre/wblitz
    leave the Passive FTP unchecked
    Take note: Be sure you got the Remote directory right as the ChessTheatre will create
    the folder on our site. Though you can use any folder name, I used "wblitz"
    here for World Blitz game.
    i) Finally click on Upload.
    That's it...
    If you want to see ChessTheatre in operation visit http://www.rootyhillchess.org and click on “DGT Chess Theatre Game Viewer” at the head of the “Features” menu.

I hope all that helps, but if not, and if you think I can be of any help email me.
    Visit my chess blog:[/COLOR] http://blog.chess.com/Dozy[/SIZE]

CC Candidate Master

Thanks Dozy...

Your instruction is clear enough... I know now where I'm confused... in each publish, ChessTheatre create a folder which contains the XML version of the PGN file... I can understand this, because Flash do not read/load text file (for security reason) but is happy to work with XML.
    I've seen an excellent use of ChessTheatre in www.bcmchess.co.uk . With ChessTheatre, the whole tournament games just pop-up effortlessly, you can expand the menu to every game on the tournament...You can also click on the movetext to go to that position...that's smart... Now, game viewing become interesting...

CC Candidate Master

If it's Flash it's great....

Hi Dozy,
    Visited your site on International Games at http://www.rootyhillchess.org/chesstheatre.html - Tournament viewing at its best... I like the way ChessTheatre is implemented here... great!! This is what I want...

As a matter of possible interest Chess Theatre is also being used on the official website for the Aus Open 2006/7 - http://www.actjcl.org.au/ausopen2006/.

For your amusement and delectation the games of the Open at Mt Buller 2004/5 are on the site at present.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

CC Candidate Master

I got it...

Thanks Dozy for the tips, finally I've done it.. click on this http://www.fianchetto.centralcoastch...sstheatre.html ... and see what DGT ChessThreatre can do... You can view tournament games from:
    - Stratagem Australia Girl Masster 2006
    - Stratagem Australia Junior Master 2006
    - Stratagem Australia Young Master 2006
    - (Archive) Belconnen Club Championship 1994
    - More will be added...

CC Candidate Master

Kramnik - Topalov Games in ChessThreatre

Hey, I found the collection of Kramnik - Topalov previous encounters
    at Rootyhill Chess Website. Just click on this URL
    http://www.rootyhillchess.org/chesst...CT_KraTop.html
    There are more than 50 games in the archive... Do you know which favourite opening they start with?

CC Candidate Master

More archive games using ChessTheatre

I didn't realized that I can find games from my favourite players on this URL
    http://www.rootyhillchess.org/chesstheatre.html
    Hey, how did they do this with ChessTheatre. It's a cool service to have the latest games, playable on the net... most site I know just tell us to download the PGN. Thanks for the service.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi fianchetto

I like what you are doing with the space/site you have - good to see the variety of what you have - though I quite liked the 'pick the best moves' via Genie - any chance of re-establishing them - I used to show some kids them ...

CC Candidate Master

It's done!

Quote Originally Posted by themovingman
    Hi fianchetto
    I like what you are doing with the space/site you have - good to see the variety of what you have - though I quite liked the 'pick the best moves' via Genie - any chance of re-establishing them - I used to show some kids them ...
    Hi Movingman,
    I believed that your generous offer of space/site for my "experiment" has long expired... As soon as the BB thread "How to create Chess web site..." was conluded, the site belongs to Toukley Chess Club... Hopefully someone can continue it.

Smile how to upload more tournaments (pgn files) into one folder?

We are also trying to work with this great application on our web site : www.openingmaster.com
    We are facing a difficulty which might be an easy one, "how to upload more than one pgn tournaments online?" I saw the posts on this chat. Everything is clear until the moment of publishing a multiple pgn files. It creates a new set of gamedata01.xml files which have the same naming structure as the old tournament files.
    The chesstheatre takes all the games from the default folder which we have stored on the main public area (folder = dgt_chesstheatre_games) but how to publish more tournaments. Dozy write about creating any folder name. But somehow the chesstheatre application takes only games from the default game folder.
    Any helps is appreciated here.
    Alex, Slovakia

CC Candidate Master

One Folder one each tournament PGN

On your folder /dgt_chesstheatre_games
    You need to organize your PGN games according to each tournament and
    create a folder for each tournament PGNs you want to upload.
    example:
    /dgt_chesstheatre_games/euro08/euro08.pgn
    /dgt_chesstheatre_games/sio08/sio08.pgn
    /dgt_chesstheatre_games/slovakia/slovakia.pgn
    and put the chesstheatre on each folder too.

That's how I found it after a number of experiments...

merge 2 pgn files to get two tournaments on one window

thanks to Paul from customer support from DGT, I was able to finally crack an easy problem. The above posts didn't work for me, not sure why. Here is what works, just wanted to share this with all :

Remember that a PGN file is in a readable textformat, which can be opened in any text editor. (e.g NotePad)
    Just open the two files in ,for instance, Notepad of Windows and select in one file all text and copy. Then open the other one in Notepad and paste on top of bottom of this file. Close and save and you get one master pgn file which then you can uplaod and see both tournaments.

Alex

Thread Information