Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touch move rule

Banned Hydra

Touch move rule

You pick up your piece and go the take one of theirs. You touch their piece with your piece but not with your fingers. Is that still called a touch?
    Thanks

CC Rookie
    assuming that the touch of the opponents piece was accidental and assuming tthat the opponentts piece would be a legal move for your piece thhhen i think that tthere is no problem wiith moving the piece to its desired position.

please excuse the typos i am at an internet kiosk which is tooooooooooooooo sensitive and i'v just given up on redoing typos.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tcn (on locatio
    assuming that the touch of the opponents piece was accidental and assuming tthat the opponentts piece would be a legal move for your piece thhhen i think that tthere is no problem wiith moving the piece to its desired position.

please excuse the typos i am at an internet kiosk which is tooooooooooooooo sensitive and i'v just given up on redoing typos.
    Or maybe he's drunk?
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harry
    You pick up your piece and go the take one of theirs. You touch their piece with your piece but not with your fingers. Is that still called a touch?
    Thanks
    I would say it is still called a touch. If you touched the piece deliberately with the intent to take it then the move should be played (assuming it is legal to do so).

I'm assume you used your piece to move the other off the square so that you could place your piece on that square. If you just touched the piece accidentally then that doesn't count. The touch needs to be deliberate.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I would say it is still called a touch. If you touched the piece deliberately with the intent to take it then the move should be played (assuming it is legal to do so).
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I'm assume you used your piece to move the other off the square so that you could place your piece on that square. If you just touched the piece accidentally then that doesn't count. The touch needs to be deliberate.
    Agree.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I had an opponent come late for an interclub game. He sat down and with the clock going proceeded to straighten his pieces without an 'I adjust'. I chose to warn him about touch move. I don't know what I would have played against 1. ....a5 anyway.

CC International Master
    I think you have to say a touch with another piece counts (assuming it is deliberate) and not that a "touch" only occurs when there is contact with flesh. Otherwise somebody could exempt themselves from touch-move by wearing gloves, or using tongs.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless
    I had an opponent come late for an interclub game. He sat down and with the clock going proceeded to straighten his pieces without an 'I adjust'. I chose to warn him about touch move. I don't know what I would have played against 1. ....a5 anyway.
    Just as well. If you attempted to enforce touch-move in that situation you would find yourself branded a loser forever more.

I am not sure if I understand where the correctness of this ruling comes from.
    Article 4.6
    a. in the case of a capture, when the captured piece has been removed from the chessboard and the player, having placed his own piece on its new square, has released this capturing piece from his hand;
    To me this isn't implicit in that the capture is complete until the player releases his piece on the capturing square. Therefore, why can't a player pick up his piece, move the opponent's piece off the square, then replace the opponent's piece back on its square and select another move with the piece that he first picked up.
    Sorry to be so thick , but I feel that the rule isn't specific that a capture must be made, unless you pick up the opponent's piece first.
    A gentle explanation would be appreciated
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless

Would an arbiter be obliged to uphold the touch move rule in such a situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    I am not sure if I understand where the correctness of this ruling comes from.
    Article 4.6
    a. in the case of a capture, when the captured piece has been removed from the chessboard and the player, having placed his own piece on its new square, has released this capturing piece from his hand;
    To me this isn't implicit in that the capture is complete until the player releases his piece on the capturing square. Therefore, why can't a player pick up his piece, move the opponent's piece off the square, then replace the opponent's piece back on its square and select another move with the piece that he first picked up.
    Sorry to be so thick , but I feel that the rule isn't specific that a capture must be made, unless you pick up the opponent's piece first.
    A gentle explanation would be appreciated
    Hello Phil,

I believe the answer is located just a little bit further up in the laws of chess.

Article 4: The act of moving the pieces

4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only.

4.2 Provided that he first expresses his intention (e.g. by saying "j`adoube" or "I adjust"), the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares.

4.3 Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard
    a. one or more of his own pieces, he must move the first piece touched that can be moved, or
    b. one or more of his opponent’s pieces, he must capture the first piece touched, which can be captured, or
    c. one piece of each colour, he must capture the opponent’s piece with his piece or, if this is illegal, move or capture the first piece touched which can be moved or captured. If it is unclear, whether the player’s own piece or his opponent’s was touched first, the player’s own piece shall be considered to have been touched before his opponent’s.
    4.3c matters here. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alipasha
    Would an arbiter be obliged to uphold the touch move rule in such a situation?
    Possibly an arbiter could rule that the player had "expressed his intention" non-verbally by adjusting so many pieces. The rule only gives examples of how to do it, not an exclusive list.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Possibly an arbiter could rule that the player had "expressed his intention" non-verbally by adjusting so many pieces. The rule only gives examples of how to do it, not an exclusive list.
    You still have to get around the word "first".
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    I reckon the fact that he touched the a-pawn first is a pretty good indication . Of course, if he touched the rook first then there would be no ambiguity at all.

CC International Master
    I suppose to be really safe you could make your opening move first and then adjust the pieces before pressing your clock. I remember at least once noticing one of Australia's top players do this.

Thread Information