Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Seniors

CC Grandmaster

World Seniors

The world seniors will be played in Italy from the 11-22 of September.
    In addition to the names listed in the ACF bulletin from last week, Bob Krstic, Phil Viner, Glen Gibbs and Frank Hutchings, Australia's top senior Srbo Zaric is playing.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    The world seniors will be played in Italy from the 11-22 of September.
    In addition to the names listed in the ACF bulletin from last week, Bob Krstic, Phil Viner, Glen Gibbs and Frank Hutchings, Australia's top senior Srbo Zaric is playing.

Scott
    Thanks, Scott. I wasn't sure if Zaric was intending to play or not. He graciously conceded top spot, so to speak, to Bob Krstic as reigning Australian Senior Champion.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Thanks, Scott. I wasn't sure if Zaric was intending to play or not. He graciously conceded top spot, so to speak, to Bob Krstic as reigning Australian Senior Champion.

DJ
    I was wondering what happened seeing Zaric is clearly the stronger player. Well done Srbo.
    Scott

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    There was a lot of confusion because it turned out that Australia is not automatically entitled to a representative but only Oceania zone gets one. (This had actually been the case the previous time as well but I had gone ahead and done selections on behalf of the ACF unaware of this - luckily our selected player was then endorsed.) As such there hadn't been an ACF selection done for the spot - since the FIDE zone president appoints the rep it seems to be FIDE's job unless FIDE asks us to do it. Luckily the seniors were all agreeable that Krstic as reigning Australian Senior Champion should get the spot. I agree it was very gracious especially by Zaric who had been selected ahead of Krstic the previous time around.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    The tournament has started with Zaric and Viner winning and Hutchings, Gibbs and Krstic losing in round 1
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    After the second round Phil Viner and Srbo Zaric are on 2/2. Viner the 57th seed beat the 23rd seed IM Evgenij Piankov rated 2324, while Zaric beat Nikola Hocevar rated 2090. Krstic and Hutchings drew to be 0.5/2 while Gibbs lost.
    IN the third round Zaric plays the 10th seed IM Bukal while Viner plays IM Donchenko.
    The website is http://www.scacchivda.com/ and it seems to have some live games altohugh I have no idea as to the time.
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    Well done by Viner.

Piankov used to be a very strong master. I saw him play in 1990 or so and he was 2400+ strength at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    Viner the 57th seed beat the 23rd seed IM Evgenij Piankov rated 2324
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Rookie
    The Old boys are off to a flying start! Both Viner and Zaric managed draws with IMs rated over 2400 last night. Viner drew with Anatoly Donchenko (Ger) (rated 2405) and Zaric drew with IM Vladimir Bukal (CRO) (rated 2414). This leaves both Viner and Zaric on 2.5/3. They have both drawn to play very well known Russian IMs in the next round. Zaric plays IM Vladimir Karasev (2379) who has draws to Karpov and Korchnoi to his credit and Viner plays Alexander Zakharov (2395) who has a win against Korchnoi to his credit! Do you think they will be enjoying themselves?

CC Grandmaster
    Thats indeed very good.
    We need more players going overseas and bringing rating points home

CC Grandmaster
    Unfortuanately both Zaric and Viner lost their fourth round games, but it was not all bad news. Kristic won to be alongside Zaric and Viner on 2.5/4. Gibbs also won, his first win, to be with Hutchings, who drew, on 1.5/4
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    Very quickly, in the fifth round Zaric won, Viner drew with a higher rated FM, Krstic lost, Hutchings won and Gibbs lost.
    Scott

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Thanks for the updates Scott.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Next year, with Naum Kagan and Rujevic becoming eligible to participate, the Australian contingent at the World seniors will be even bigger and stronger

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks for the updates Scott.
    Kevin, it is a pleasure especially when Zaric wins. Hopefully your Tassie player Gibbs wins a few games.
    Scott

Thread Information