Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17,037

    David Smerdon Wins a Tournament in Holland!

    Congratulations to David on coming equal 1st in an extremely strong Weekender in Holland

    1. Korneev, Oleg g RUS 2638 5.0 25.0 20.00 19.5
    2. Miezis, Normunds g LAT 2527 5.0 23.5 18.50 19.5
    3. Smerdon, David m AUS 2472 5.0 23.0 18.75 17.5
    4. Ernst, Sipke m NED 2504 5.0 23.0 18.50 18.0
    5. Senff, Martin m GER 2464 5.0

    http://www.stukkenjagers.nl/weekend/

  2. #2
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Well done!
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  3. #3
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by EGOR
    Well done!
    Two of David's endgame positions were analysed by Alex Baburin in his daily newsletter too.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Two of David's endgame positions were analysed by Alex Baburin in his daily newsletter too.
    David is a very strong endgame player...I have had a chance to play a very exiting endgame against him recently in Elwood open. He played strongly despite being short of time.. I had a better position throughout but he held it very confidently

  5. #5
    CC International Master Watto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Two of David's endgame positions were analysed by Alex Baburin in his daily newsletter too.
    You can find one of them in the round 5 bulletin. My very quick and rough translation for people who can’t read Dutch: The GMs spent little energy on board one- a 13 move draw. But the picture was completely different behind them. David Smerdon and Martijn Dambacher fought out a complex duel with unequal material. In the endgame, David had king and queen against Dambacher’s king, rook (loper?) and knight.

    Then there’s a sentence which I find a bit difficult so I could be misleading you all: The engines (tablebases?) indicate mate (mat?) … move 35 but … no hole in the defense to shoot (hehe) which I assume means couldn’t find a hole in the defence.
    The end came abruptly when Dambacher mistakenly (pardoes?) gave away a piece.

    I’ll leave it to someone else to do the other bulletin if they want to. Feel free to correct my mistakes!
    Last edited by Watto; 23-08-2006 at 02:30 PM.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    A good result, but as third seed not an unexpected one. His one blip was a draw against a 2053 player in round one.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,139
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    A good result, but as third seed not an unexpected one. His one blip was a draw against a 2053 player in round one.
    He'll have plenty of chances to redeem himself. He's wangled a spot on the Uni of Melb exchange program, and will be finishing his degree in Amsterdam

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    He'll have plenty of chances to redeem himself. He's wangled a spot on the Uni of Melb exchange program, and will be finishing his degree in Amsterdam
    Wow, that's excellent. Hopefully he will now have a few opportunities to nail those GM norms.

  9. #9
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    755
    Yeah he is on exchange until i think its March next year....studying and playing chess. He has managed to find a club to let him play in the bundesliga as well which will provide him many more chances for the final norm he needs. From memory he is playing board one for the team too which would help.

    Hopefully we will see many more victories and soon another GM for Australia!

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Afitz
    him many more chances for the final norm he needs.
    I believe that he actually needs two norms. He could have gotten one 20 game norm from the Olympiad, but apart from that I think he only has one 9 game norm atm.

  11. #11
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I believe that he actually needs two norms. He could have gotten one 20 game norm from the Olympiad, but apart from that I think he only has one 9 game norm atm.
    I believe his norm from the Australian Championships was a 11 game norm.
    As such he needs a 16 game norm to get his required 27 games. Given it is highly unlikely he can find an event that will give him a 16 or even a 20 game norm then he needs two more 9 game norms.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  12. #12
    Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,896
    See if we can do an exchange for some GMs to come here, free study and accommo maybe in trade for some rating points.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17,037
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    See if we can do an exchange for some GMs to come here, free study and accommo maybe in trade for some rating points.
    And who will pay for GMs to come here? Good Idea, but unrealistic without sponsorship

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    And who will pay for GMs to come here? Good Idea, but unrealistic without sponsorship
    Lets get some Burmese players to come here as asylum seekers. They would provide a massive ratings boost for the Australian system

    Only thing is they will only have to languish on Nauru for 3 years or so while their claims are being processed. Nauru International Chess Open anyone?

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17,037
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Lets get some Burmese players to come here as asylum seekers. They would provide a massive ratings boost for the Australian system

    Only thing is they will only have to languish on Nauru for 3 years or so while their claims are being processed. Nauru International Chess Open anyone?

    Thats a great Idea...it is also an only chance for a 2300 rated FMs to become GMs if we invite those people...we will soon have 15 GMs or so

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2nd ICCF WEBCHESS OPEN TOURNAMENT
    By CCLA in forum Correspondence Chess News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-05-2006, 08:13 AM
  2. Elwood Community Bendigo Bank Chess Championship 2005
    By Bereaved in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 10:52 PM
  3. Announcement of 1st ICCF WEBCHESS OPEN TOURNAMENT
    By CCLA in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-11-2004, 05:16 AM
  4. ACF March 2004 Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: 14-04-2004, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •