CC Grandmaster

Terence Tao wins the Fields medal

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20218961-2,00.html

Terence is Trevor's older brother. The Fields medal is the world's top mathematics honour. Terence is the first Australian to achieve this honour - an incredible achievement.

Wow. Congratulations Terence. What a clever family.

Thanks for the info, Pax.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pax

Terence is Trevor's older brother. The Fields medal is the world's top mathematics honour. Terence is the first Australian to achieve this honour - an incredible achievement.
    Great news.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pax

I was going to post this myself, but I was beaten to the punch.

While looking through the previous Australian representatives at the International Mathematics Olympiad (at which Terence Tao is the youngest-ever winner of a gold medal), I noticed quite a few chess players I know: Shane Booth (1985), Mark Kisin (1989), Joanna Masel (1991), Lawrence Ip (1992), Frank Calegari (1992, 1993), Trevor Tao (1995), and Sammy Chow (2005). Trevor's other brother, Nigel Tao, and some of the others probably have ACF ratings also.

I also noticed that IM Greg Hjorth, who my sister once met at a party in Melbourne, was on the mathematics faculty at UCLA with Terry. Apparently, Greg returned to Melbourne in July.

An interesting link about Terry Tao's childhood development is Radical acceleration in Australia: Terence Tao.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavies
    I was going to post this myself, but I was beaten to the punch.

While looking through the previous Australian representatives at the International Mathematics Olympiad (at which Terence Tao is the youngest-ever winner of a gold medal), I noticed quite a few chess players I know: Shane Booth (1985), Mark Kisin (1989), Joanna Masel (1991), Lawrence Ip (1992), Frank Calegari (1992, 1993), Trevor Tao (1995), and Sammy Chow (2005). Trevor's other brother, Nigel Tao, and some of the others probably have ACF ratings also.

I also noticed that IM Greg Hjorth, who my sister once met at a party in Melbourne, was on the mathematics faculty at UCLA with Terry. Apparently, Greg returned to Melbourne in July.

An interesting link about Terry Tao's childhood development is Radical acceleration in Australia: Terence Tao.
    Dr. Mark Kisin is now a Professor of Applied Math. at on of US major universities

PM in gaffe over elite Aussie's origins

Thursday Jan 25 18:25 AEDT

Prime Minister John Howard blundered when he wrongly assumed a high-achieving Asian Australian was born overseas.

Hosting a reception at his Canberra residence for Australian of the Year candidates, Mr Howard asked mathematician Professor Terence Tao about his origins.

"When did you come to Australia?" Mr Howard is heard to ask Prof Tao in television footage.

When his guest failed to catch the question, the prime minister said: "What part of the world were you born?"

"I was born in Adelaide," Prof Tao replied.

The 31-year-old South Australian teaches at the University of California in Los Angeles and last year won the world's most prestigious mathematics prize, the Fields Medal.

The son of Chinese parents who emigrated from Hong Kong, Prof Tao was a child prodigy who obtained his first university degree at age 16.

CC Candidate Master

Worthy of Recognition

If I remember correctly, I read recently, that Professor Terence Tao has received a cash prize of US$500,000 in America for his achievements.

His talents are much more highly recognised and appreciated in America than in Australia (prima facie).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Chow
    If I remember correctly, I read recently, that Professor Terence Tao has received a cash prize of US$500,000 in America for his achievements.

His talents are much more highly recognised and appreciated in America than in Australia (prima facie).
    Not sure about this comment Tony. I think Terence Tao is highly respected here. I know someone who taught with him at ANU who speaks very highly of him and the Australian Mathematical Society did award him with the AustMS medal as well. However, Australian academia does not have the resources to compete with America in terms of prizemoney for prizes like the Fields. And not in terms of the number and size of professorial salaries that we can maintain. But don't confuse remuneration with recognition and appreciation. A lot of people do, especially nowadays.

The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Hopefully I'll meet him in a couple of weeks.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The Sydney Morning Herald deserves great credit for running such an article.

CC Grandmaster
    Actually, I've seen quite a few articles about Terry Tao. He gets quite a lot of interest, because the press always likes the child prodigy story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    The Sydney Morning Herald deserves great credit for running such an article.

Yes, but I don't know why the writer can't just write a straight piece about his extraordinary achievements, setting an example for the rest of the media and Australia to follow. Instead she ends with the tired old theme of the geeks and nerds who need to be looked at differently ('Maybe they should be seen as heroes not geeks, superstars not nerds.')

The rest of the article is good but this aspect of it is lazy and and not all that imaginative as far as I'm concerned and follows a very well trodden path despite the fact that she's arguing for something different.

Thread Information