Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar

Another Training Position (intermediate)

FEN Viewer

Black to Play

This position is a bit more complicated than the previous ones I have posted. As such, I'm looking for both an assessment of the position, a plan, as well as a concrete variation or two.

As with the previous position, I'll leave it up for a week before giving any answers, so that should give you some time to have a look at it.

To post your answers, write them up in a post, press submit and then when you are re-directed to your post as it appears in the thread, click the edit button (in the top right corner of the post) and then delete the post. The information remains on the server, and I'll re-instate all posts with answers after a week when I put the answer up.

Good Luck!

The most obvious move I can see for black is Bg4, pinning the knight. With this move, black can wreck white's pawn structure around the king, eg.

1... Bg4
    2. h3 Bxf3
    3. Qxf3 Qxf3
    4. gxf3

Now black can play moves like f5 to gain space and try to block in white's bishop.

Alternatively,

1.... Bg4
    2. h3 Bxf3
    3. gxf3

If white doesn't play h3 to kick the pin, black has moves like Rad8, taking the half-open file, lining up rook and enemy queen, etc. while maintaining the pin.
    Last edited by Kerry Stead; 03-05-2004 at 01:59 PM.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Just looked at it quickly.

The plan for black looks to be via a f-pawn advance. The following moves in roughly this order...

Bg4 ... Qe6 ... f5

Looking to open the f file and get some pressure on the f3 knight from the heavy pieces.

White probably wont be opening the f-file for Black and so will have to continue ... fxe4 ... Rf6 ... Raf8 ... etc

Am I close?
    Last edited by Barry Cox; 19-04-2004 at 07:24 PM.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Kerry, can we have the answers to this one too?

A lot more people should be doing these instead of just me. Kevin? Barry? Bill? Have a go you mugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Kerry, can we have the answers to this one too?

A lot more people should be doing these instead of just me. Kevin? Barry? Bill? Have a go you mugs!
    I already have!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Kevin? Barry? Bill? Have a go you mugs!
    In the other thread I would have been cheating a bit because I'd seen at least one of the positions before and immediately recognised why it was a win.

I'll have a go at this one though.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

OK Cool. It's just that Kerry's obviously gone to a lot of trouble to put this feature on the board and it's a real shame so few people are utilising it.

OK Cool. It's just that Kerry's obviously gone to a lot of trouble to put this feature on the board and it's a real shame so few people are utilising it.
    Yes, but he also promised to answer them nearly 2 weeks ago.

Yes, I said I would post answers a few weeks ago, but there have only been 2 people who have attempted to answer it: Bruce Dickinson on 5-4 and Barry Cox on 19-4. I'll give the stragglers a few more days and then post up the answer (which will be a lot more involved than the training series of 3 positions) probably on the weekend.
    Needless to say that neither Bruce nor Barry have the right plan in the position ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Needless to say that neither Bruce nor Barry have the right plan in the position ...
    I think it was needless to say, "needless to say" in that sentence.

I'm look forward to the revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    I think it was needless to say, "needless to say" in that sentence.

I'm look forward to the revelation.
    Not that I was doubting your abilities Barry ... just it would have made my job much easier to just say 'look at what Barry wrote ... he knows what he's talking about' ... alas I cannot ...

CC Candidate Master
    1...Bg4 is an obvious candidate move for black. The idea is to exchange on f3 until white retakes with the pawn. That way, white's bishop will be permanently locked away, and unless he sacrifices a pawn to get it out, black will be playing with an extra piece on the queenside. How can white react? The idea 2.c3 followed by a later d4 fails to ...cxd4 cxd4 f6, where white has succeded only in removing black's doubled pawns but has done nothing to help his bishop. Another attempt is 2.h3 where after Bxf3 3.Qxf3 Qxf3 4.gxf3 white intends Bh2, followed by f4 (...exf4) and f3. This sacrifices a pawn, but in return the white bishop can escape its prison. However, this also doesn't work: 1...Bg4 2.h3 Bxf3 3.Qxf3 Qxf3 4.gxf3 c6 5.Bh2 Rad8 6.f4 exf4 7.f3 Be5 8.Rab1 Bd4+ etc. White's newly freed bishop will just be exchanged, leaving black with an extra pawn and likely win.

So after 1...Bg4 white cannot free his bishop and will likely lose, since black will eventually be able to activate his own bishop via a5 and open a file in the centre or on the queenside.

I must admit I'm a bit bamboozled by this one. There was a very promising line of enquiry (I'll post it and delete it) but the trail kept going cold after enough analysis to risk a loss on time at most time limits.

If I'm extremely lucky this is because the answer is actually wrong.

More probably I'm just too much of a goose to see something that will immediately make me go "of course!"
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

My suggested plan was to block the White Bishop out of the game permanently by means of first playing ...Bg4 then exchanging on f3 to give White doubled pawns, followed by ...Qe6 and then establishing pawns on f6 and h6, moving the king so that a black rook can guard the h-file if White plays h4 then hxg5 (recapture with h-pawn to keep the blockade). Only thing to watch for is keeping an eye on the d-file to stop c3-d4 breaks and Black should have a free hand on the Q side with an effective extra piece.

Only problem with this plan - I'm simply not convinced it works because I'm simply not satisfied that Black really can use the extra piece to acheive anything if White plays carefully.

Also tried to set up a crushing k-side pawn storm but couldn't get it to work. So if Black is anything more than slightly better here, I really wouldn't have a clue.

CC Candidate Master
    It's about time for the solution to be posted anyway, and I'd like to hear what plans others came up with. I for one could not find a refutation for the line I considered to be most promising, but then I didn't spend all that much time analysing it...

Thread Information