Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,156

    Training position series

    Position 1
    FEN Viewer

    White to Play

    The first in a series of related positions.
    In order to make it as much like a real game as possible, the instructions are simply 'white to play' rather than white to play and win/draw/etc, as you don't have someone that taps you on the shoulder when you have a good move, or a place where you can write notes as you go play your game, so all tactics, plans, ideas, etc have to be kept in your head.

    What you should do in the above position (and following positions) is to give a general assessment of the position - what are the positives and negatives for each side in the position, and who you think is better. Also then look to give at least one variation, in this case (being white to play) that will give white the best possible resulting position.

    I'll post up answers in about a week, which should be enough time to allow some people to have a go at the positions and trying to come up with some analysis and assessments for the positions.

    Position 2
    FEN Viewer

    White to Play

    Position 3
    FEN Viewer

    White to Play

    Good luck with them!
    Last edited by Kerry Stead; 16-03-2004 at 04:34 PM.

  2. #2
    CC International Master JGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,120
    These are a great Idea and just what we need here!

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Nice puzzles.. Got the first one in 2 seconds, second one in about 15 seconds after checking calculations, third one took at least a couple of mins though, trickier
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  4. #4
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Nice puzzles.. Got the first one in 2 seconds, second one in about 15 seconds after checking calculations, third one took at least a couple of mins though, trickier
    And your answers are ... ??

  5. #5
    chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,193
    Bruce, post it and then delete it, so that only Kerry can see the solution

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    Bruce, post it and then delete it, so that only Kerry can see the solution
    or send the answers to kerry via private message on here.

  7. #7
    chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,193
    No... post and delete, so after the OFFICIAL answers are posted then just undelete everyones posts. PM will just make extra work for kerry.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    No... post and delete, so after the OFFICIAL answers are posted then just undelete everyones posts. PM will just make extra work for kerry.
    ok if you say so

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Ah ok, didn't want to give them away.. guess I could just also tell Kerry on MSN :p
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    OK, my hidden answers:

    1. b4, Bxb4, Nc2 1-0

    2. b4, Bxb4, Nd3 1-0

    3. Still not sure about this.. perhaps Nd3, Nd2, then Nh4? I can't see any win for white here, I assume there is none (I hope..)
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  11. #11
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,156
    OK, firstly some general observations about the position (position 1 that is):
    If both knights are exchanged (1.Kxc4 Bxe1) then the position favours black slightly because of white's isolated d pawn and the fact that black's king can get to d5 and remain there indefinitely.
    When looking for tactics, the fact that there are 2 pieces that are attacked should be a big clue as to the answer ... which Bruce Dickinson got right.

    Position 1:
    1.b4! Bxb4 2.Nc2! [and there is no way of defending both the knight and bishop]

    Position 2:
    Variation on a theme ... now the comments about white's isolated d pawn aren't quite so relevant.
    1.b4! Bxb4 2.Nd3! [protecting the c1 bishop and winning] (not 2.Nc2? Bd2! and black keeps the extra pawn)

    Position 3:
    Same idea, but what is the difference between having a pawn on a2 and a4 ... control of the squares b3 and b5 ... is there a point?
    1.b4? Bxb4 2.Nd3 Nd2! [The point of the changed position] 3.Nxb4 [Leaving the c1 bishop unprotected] 3... Nb3+! 4.Kc3 [or anywhere else] 4... Nxc1! [leaves black a pawn to the good. The knight can't be trapped, even though it looks like it might be a possibility]

    Lets hope you learnt something ... and next time, can more than 1 person put answers up!

  12. #12
    CC Candidate Master Feldgrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34

    Nice series Kerry

    First position reminds me of Lasker-Euwe somewhat, though I like the effort someone has put in to modify the idea for the second and third puzzles. Is that an original effort from yourself?

    I must admit the third one caught me, too lazy to find the nice trick black has with the knight fork.

  13. #13
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldgrau
    First position reminds me of Lasker-Euwe somewhat, though I like the effort someone has put in to modify the idea for the second and third puzzles. Is that an original effort from yourself?

    I must admit the third one caught me, too lazy to find the nice trick black has with the knight fork.
    It reminds you of Lasker-Euwe for a reason ... it IS Lasker-Euwe
    Effort from myself? You must have me confused with someone else.
    The position (and modifications) are from John Littlewood's book 'Chess Coaching' ... a good book that I have got plenty of use out of.

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    It reminds you of Lasker-Euwe for a reason ... it IS Lasker-Euwe
    Effort from myself? You must have me confused with someone else.
    The position (and modifications) are from John Littlewood's book 'Chess Coaching' ... a good book that I have got plenty of use out of.
    Lasker!!
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  15. #15
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kavala, Greece
    Posts
    8

    FEN viewer

    I like the FEN viewer very much! Is it free to use on personal websites? Any link? Thank you in advance for any reply.
    International Master Jovan Petronic.
    FIDE Senior Trainer.
    Chairman, FIDE Computer & Internet Chess Committee.
    ASEAN Chess Academy Consultant.
    Federal Trainer, Greece Chess Federation.
    FIDE Trainers' Committee member.
    Kavala Chess Club Technical Advisor.
    Web: http://www.jovanpetronic.com.
    Chess news: http://www.jovanpetronic.com/chessnews.htm.
    Chess software reviews: http://www.jovanpetronic.com/chessreviews.htm.
    Chess Forum: http://www.jovanpetronic.com/forum

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Chess Training
    By skip to my lou in forum Chess Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 11:30 PM
  2. My most recent, shocking game!
    By skip to my lou in forum Games and Analysis
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 12:04 AM
  3. Another Training Position (intermediate)
    By Kerry Stead in forum Coaching Clinic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 08:20 PM
  4. Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series start
    By ursogr8 in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 12:30 PM
  5. Tools for training
    By Choco in forum Chess Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 04:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •