Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    The November/December 2006 issue of Australian Chess magazine is now out!

Look out for the gray cover with photos of Kramnik-Topolov match on the front cover.

Magazine wasl posted to subscribers on Friday 27 October.

Single copies can be purchased at $7.50 from Australian Chess Enterprises (Sydney), Chess World (Melbourne), Gardiner Chess (Gold Coast) and Knights and Bytes (Adelaide).

New subscribers can order at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/ind...og&g=magazines

Got it last night. Excellent issue!!

AR

Australian Chess magazine out for Xmas!

The January/February 2007 issue of Australian Chess magazine is now out!

Look out for the speckled pink cover with photos of Nick Chernih, Shannon Oliver, Tomek Rej, Yang Shen and Tigran Petrosian on the front cover.

Magazine was posted to subscribers on Thursday 21 December 2006.

Order at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/ind...ail&o=1447431X

How can I subscribe ?

Phone 02-9838-1529

Very good issue Brian! And may I welcome wholeheartedly your latest addition, none other than Matthew Sweeney"

AR
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 27-12-2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: quoted a banned poster

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Just logged in to say how good the current issue is, but AR beat me to it! I think this is the best issue I have read in the past 3 years - nice balance of various articles, interesting contribution from Matthew Sweeney, and my favourite, the Christmas quiz.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Generally it is a very good issue. I especially enjoyed:

* the annotations of the Bendigo games (including those by Zhigen Wilson Lin - it is great to see our younger stars annotating their games for publication and doing a fine job of it). It is important when covering games that may have been previously seen to include good quality annotations so subscribers are getting something new.

* the U20 Champs report. Having not followed this event closely it was good to get some detail on our performances there.

*the return of the Problems Billabong and also the Flitney problems article. Expert problemists almost speak a different language to me but I find it entertaining to dip into that world now and then.

The exception to the "generally", of course, is the Sweeney "article". Shouldn't be considered too much a detraction as there is only one page of it, but I really feel a scholarly treatise on the Fred Defence in grandmaster play written by any available two-year-old would have been a better use of the space.

In response to a stereotypical Libby flame on TCG (suggesting that delivering a backhander when I had not read the content reflected badly on me) I wrote "If that's the most quotable bit, and given the title, I have a pretty good idea what to expect from the remainder. There are very few surprises in this business." However even I was still very mildly surprised - the piece was actually even worse than I expected!

The first paragraph contains a ridiculous (and significant) factual howler, noting the population basis on which delegates are appointed to the Conference but misrepresenting this as how the ACF runs all the time when actually only the annual Conference runs like that. The bulk of the ACF's operations are carried out by Council which is not elected on a population quota basis. There is no excuse for errors like this in any class of publication and the editor should have cleaned this up.

The second paragraph is just bile with no substantiating evidence. It is totally useless.

The third paragraph is somewhere near accurate in what it states (trivial errors like misspelling Graeme Gardiner's name and understating his period of ACF involvement - again, the editor should have fixed these - aside) but very slanted in what it doesn't state. What it doesn't state is that many of those who Matt has issues with are also reformers in their own way, but Matt typically characterises a person as a chess conservative and staller if he has personally encountered obstruction from them, irrespective of the remainder of their output. There is actually not one person on the current ACF Council who habitually blocks reform proposals, nor one state at Conference level that habitually does so.

The fourth paragraph is hilariously inept. The bracketing together of Davids Cordover and Beaumont (the latter of whom has been known to spout bile at the former on this BB) was a highlight of this nonsense for me. There is further apparent silliness when Matthew, to the best of my knowledge, misrepresents the purpose of Cordover's Chess Association of Australia, suggesting that it is geared at replacing the ACF, when actually what is publicly known about it suggests only that it is concerned with coaching certification. Furthermore, in my experience David C's views on organisations are determined not by their electoral structure but by whether they, in particular cases, deliver what he considers to be good outcomes. If he thinks they do, he will happily work with them no matter how they are elected or appointed; if he thinks they don't, he will attempt to route around them. Matt also implies that all of the following: B Jones, Press, Gardiner, Keuning, Stanning and Jessop not merely support direct election of ACF officeholders but consider it necessary. I know that some of these take this view but would be very surprised if all do.

Amid this nonsense even Matthew's own pitiful attempt at self-puffery almost escapes notice. He's really waving a paper sword as he brags about:
    * his newsletter (which lasted all of two weeks and one day),
    * his online telephone box (only eighteen posters have posted after half a year, and claims to superior standards have been contradicted by flamewars much the same as here, a near-complete lack of moderation even where clearly merited, and persistent factual errors in debates)
    * and his coaching firm (any actual coaching activities of which I can still find no publicly available online evidence concerning, despite searching Google using various terms and also regular reading of CC, TCG, ACCF, AC, ACF newsletter etc etc. On this basis it is my sincere opinion that, if it does any coaching, it is not a significant player).

The final paragraph is much like the second. It is hard to find a single criticism in the whole piece for which any evidence is provided. As such, for the unfamiliar reader, it is useless. Furthermore, the writing quality is nothing special, although it's not particularly awful either, just average.

While this will doubtless be seen as an attempt to provoke Matthew, my main purpose in posting it is to indicate why Matthew's contribution is of very poor quality and should not have been run as an "article". I don't object to Brian running guff of this kind if he has nothing better (the hilarious ineptness of it is just about worth the twelve and a half cents per page) but it should be labelled as what it is - a letter to the editor - and blatant factual errors should be cleaned up.

Disclaimers:
    (i) The author of this post is sometimes employed on a casual basis by a company run by Mr Cordover.
    (ii) The author of this post has no formal qualifications relevant to editing, but for a couple of years derived much of his income (such as it was then) from it.
    (iii) Current sigfile does not apply to this post!
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 03-01-2007 at 06:43 PM.

I broadly agree with what Kevin has said. In fact I had been thinking of sending Brian a response (I may still do so) because, although I generally support some reform of the ACF, Matthew's contribution to the debate is not well thought out or presented. Moreover, I certainly do not support direct election of the ACF Executive. I even wonder how seriously Matthew supports it given that he says earlier in his article that people probably did not bother to attend their State Association AGM and vote due to apathy. How does he expect people to vote for the ACF Executive when its relevance to day-to-day chess players is considerably less in practical terms than the Committee of their State Association? Still "Direct Election of the ACF Executive" is a beaut rallying cry isn't - a bit like "Votes For Women" or "Repeal of the Corn Laws". It's a pity he didn't say how he thought it would work.

DJ

PS But I did enjoy Matthew the humourist suggesting a liaison between DC and DB. That laugh was almost worth the price of an AC subscription.
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 03-01-2007 at 09:10 PM.
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

I agree with some of Kevin's comments about factual errors and that Matthew's article could be better written/ structured. But in terms of the sentiments expressed, I have no problem with it - if you want reform, it pays to be extreme and the establishment will meet you somewhere in the middle. I think that Brian has shown initiative and open mindedness by publishing the article.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    But in terms of the sentiments expressed, I have no problem with it - if you want reform, it pays to be extreme and the establishment will meet you somewhere in the middle.
    Some general comments on this principle: Not necessarily. It's true that if you have a basically credible case it often pays to overstate it to a moderate degree so that you get what you deserve rather than being met halfway to it.

However if you overstate it by too much you will shoot yourself in the foot and get nothing, and if your case is not credible to begin with the establishment won't give an inch anyway. Giving extremists part of what they want usually doesn't shut them up, so why give them anything? Indeed, some "extremist" behaviour discredits its own side of a debate to the point that it becomes a force in the opposite direction.

I also don't think Matt fits the profile of a reformer at heart who is resorting to extreme means for pragmatic reasons. I think he's genuinely passionate about a few little issues, but his frustration at his inability to get his way on them as fast as he would like has mushroomed into what we now see - a movable feast of opportunistic personal complaint against the NSWCA and the ACF.

I think that Brian has shown initiative and open mindedness by publishing the article.
    Not really given that much of it accords with Brian's own known views, especially on state associations, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    ... if you want reform, it pays to be extreme and the establishment will meet you somewhere in the middle...
    I can't agree with that either. Merely wanting reform doesn't necessarily make the desire a valid or popular one. I prefer to state the case to an appropriate level and let democracy and or reasoned debate decide.

Reform through extremism does little for me, if at all; unless democracy has gone to pot, in which case Rafferty's rules apply anyway.
    Last edited by Basil; 04-01-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Hey that's cool, both Kevin and Howard disagree with me but with very reasonable points, unlike Mr Shaun Press who gave me a serve on another matter on the other board.

Don't want to get into a big debate about this but I think the value of extreme action can be to gain attention for the cause and get popular support. Whether Matthew is achieving this aim is debatable, but I am personally happy to see alternative points of view published in the media.

Howard, I notice you've been making mince meat of all the BB Correspondence stars. I challenge you to my first correspondence game, happy to play any opening, yes even the Tromp.

March/April issue of Australian Chess

The March/April 2007 issue of Australian Chess magazine is out today!

Photo of IM George Xie on the front cover.

Editorial on DGR's.

Order at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/ind...#AC%20MAGAZINE

Australian Chess 5/3 now published!

The May/June 2007 issue of Australian Chess magazine was posted to most Australian subscribers on Friday 11 May.

SIO photos on the front and back covers.

Order at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/ind...ail&o=1447431X

Thread Information