Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar

Synchronisation of Calenders

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    I think that although in an ideal world it would be good to have all Sydney chess clubs 'synchronised' as far as calendars are concerned, ...
    What does the BB think about this?

NSWCA asks all chess clubs to run their blitz, rapid and championships at the same time. eg
    Blitz Feb-Mar;
    Rapid Apr-June;
    C/ship July-Sep;
    Grade Oct-Nov.

What, other than stuborness, would prevent a club following this type of schedual?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Just a thought: What about people that only like playing in blitz.. only like playing rapid etc..?

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    NSWCA asks all chess clubs to run their blitz, rapid and championships at the same time. eg
    Blitz Feb-Mar;
    Rapid Apr-June;
    C/ship July-Sep;
    Grade Oct-Nov.

What, other than stuborness, would prevent a club following this type of schedual?
    Matt, firstly I was not suggesting that such a synchronisation SHOULD happen. If you continued to read the post, I believe I mentioned something about the importance of variety and choice.
    Secondly, as a member of the NSWCA yourself, surely you should be promoting the Grade Matches to be in May-June rather than later in the year! After all, even Wollongong have entered teams in the NSWCA Grade Match competition ...

Also as Jeo pointed out, some people might not like particular forms of the game - should they be limited to only being able to play club chess for a few months of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Also as Jeo pointed out, some people might not like particular forms of the game - should they be limited to only being able to play club chess for a few months of the year?
    Fair enough. How about synch of Grade matches and Club C/ships.

The "big four" clubs could perhaps arrange their rapid and blitz events to create a circuit of those events ensuring no overlap clashes.

Could the "Big Men" of these clubs sit down and coordinate it. The NSWCA should have a role in such things, I think.

Fair enough. How about synch of Grade matches and Club C/ships.

The "big four" clubs could perhaps arrange their rapid and blitz events to create a circuit of those events ensuring no overlap clashes.

Could the "Big Men" of these clubs sit down and coordinate it. The NSWCA should have a role in such things, I think.
    I disagree.
    The NSWCA should not be dictating to clubs how they structure their tournament calendars.

The NSWCA should continue doing what it does now and provide various types of tournaments for its members.

Then its up to the members to decide what they wish to play in.

I'm of the opinion that you should not be like governments and over regulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The NSWCA should continue doing what it does now and provide various types of tournaments for its members.
    Agreed

Agreed

I disagree.
    The NSWCA should not be dictating to clubs how they structure their tournament calendars.
    Do not put words in my mouth, Bill. I asked "should" the NSWCA have a role in getting clubs to coordinate their calenders. I did not say dictate, direct, enforce, or coherse the clubs.

I did not even say regulate - let alone "over regulate". I was asking if the big clubs should try to coordinate their calenders.

Well? Yes or no. Or, is this going to be a case of "Bill don't like it so NSWCA don't do it."

Do not put words in my mouth, Bill. I asked "should" the NSWCA have a role in getting clubs to coordinate their calenders. I did not say dictate, direct, enforce, or coherse the clubs.
    I didn't think I was putting words in your mouth but to avoid any confusion, I'll restate it using different language.
    The NSWCA should leave the clubs to determine there own calenders.

I did not even say regulate - let alone "over regulate". I was asking if the big clubs should try to coordinate their calenders.
    Currently their is no indication that the clubs have any desire to do so.
    A number of clubs have tournaments that clash for example with the Nth Sydney Ford Memorial.
    Since there is no apparent desire by the clubs to do this then the only other means would be to try and regulate it.
    I simply pointed out I'm against such regulation.

Well? Yes or no. Or, is this going to be a case of "Bill don't like it so NSWCA don't do it."
    I think the various clubs memberships would not be in favour of it.
    Also I believe its more a case of the NSWCA Council members don't like it and I agree with them.

CC International Master
    I disagree.

You are abolsutly correct on this dear Supreme Leader

It is good to know that after the controversy about the best post 2003 and the self nomination saga, you and I are on the same side.

The clubs should be free to do what they want - if they want to play all b;litz or all rapid that is for the members of teh club to decide.

In the 3 forms of government, Local government, State Goernment and Federal Goevernment, which do you think is the most democratic? It is the local government as it is in touch with what the residents want

Similarly when you look at the local clubs, state associatiosn and the Australian chess federation, the most democratic is the clubs. The club knows what it's members want and should be able to orgnaise tournaments that suit it's members without interference from anyone
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    I didn't think I was putting words in your mouth but to avoid any confusion, I'll restate it using different language.
    The NSWCA should leave the clubs to determine there own calenders.

Currently their is no indication that the clubs have any desire to do so.
    A number of clubs have tournaments that clash for example with the Nth Sydney Ford Memorial.
    Since there is no apparent desire by the clubs to do this then the only other means would be to try and regulate it.
    I simply pointed out I'm against such regulation.

I think the various clubs memberships would not be in favour of it.
    Also I believe its more a case of the NSWCA Council members don't like it and I agree with them.
    words of wisdom from your mouth doth flow SUpreme leader

I could not agree with you anymore
    Always do your Best

I think the various clubs memberships would not be in favour of it. Also I believe its more a case of the NSWCA Council members don't like it and I agree with them.
    Why do you think they would not be in favor of calender co-ordination where possible?

Why do you agree with what you think they think?

What do you have against seeking to co-ordinate calenders where posible?

Why do you think they would not be in favor of calender co-ordination where possible?
    Because the clubs have shown absoutely no interest in doing so.

Why do you agree with what you think they think?
    Feel free to raise it at a Council meeting if you wish and then we can see how well I know the other Council members.

What do you have against seeking to co-ordinate calenders where posible?
    When would Nth Sydney run the Ford Memorial if not at its current date.
    The rest of its calendar is full.
    How would St. George run its Summer Swiss even if it called it something else at some other stage of the year. All other dates are taken doing something else.
    When else would Rooty Hill run the Rooty Hill Open rather tahn when it does. All other dates in its calendar are taken.

All these tournaments clash. It cannot be helped.
    However there are only so many weeks in a year. The Clubs have to clash their tournaments with something. Its inevitable.

The NSWCA however tries to ensure it clashes none of its tournaments with tournaments run by others.

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    You are abolsutly correct on this dear Supreme Leader

It is good to know that after the controversy about the best post 2003 and the self nomination saga, you and I are on the same side.
    im sure you are relieved to have cls approval hey bill

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    im sure you are relieved to have cls approval hey bill
    Yeah, it made me re-evaluate my position.

CC International Master
    Yeah, it made me re-evaluate my position.
    very funny and witty
    Always do your Best

Thread Information