CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar

Interesting little endgame study III

Here's one that Lloyd Fell showed me about 15 years ago. I'm ashamed to admit that, once again, I have no idea who the author is so am unable to give due credit. Come to think of it, I can't even remember whether the composer put the White pawn on h2 or h3 (makes no difference to the solution). White to play and win. Hint:The Learning Triangle! may help you beat Black's defensive idea. Then again it may not.

FEN Viewer

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirty
    Here's one that Lloyd Fell showed me about 15 years ago. I'm ashamed to admit that, once again, I have no idea who the author is so am unable to give due credit. Come to think of it, I can't even remember whether the composer put the White pawn on h2 or h3 (makes no difference to the solution). White to play and win. Hint:The Learning Triangle! may help you beat Black's defensive idea. Then again it may not.

FEN Viewer
    Sorry, didn't even look at the position....the Learning Triangle!!!!
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Shirty

FEN Viewer
    This position but one move earlier - that is with the BK on a7 and the WP on b5 - is shown as diagram 6.13A on p86 of Muller and Lamprecht's "Secrets of Pawn Endings". They then give the moves 1.b6+;Kb8 giving rise to the position above. They describe it as "After Joseph, British Chess Magazine, 1922" so it is possible that Joseph's position was the one you have quoted. But M and L don't say anything about Learning Triangles!

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    This position but one move earlier - that is with the BK on a7 and the WP on b5 - is shown as diagram 6.13A on p86 of Muller and Lamprecht's "Secrets of Pawn Endings". They then give the moves 1.b6+;Kb8 giving rise to the position above. They describe it as "After Joseph, British Chess Magazine, 1922" so it is possible that Joseph's position was the one you have quoted. But M and L don't say anything about Learning Triangles!
    1.b6+! Kb8! is a lovely little prologue so, yes, Lloyd could well have shown me Joseph's original.

As for The Learning Triangle, a couple of months ago in the shoutbox Belthasar posted a link to the Time Cube! Its originator, Gene Ray, is a first-class fruitcake who has inspired many parodies, including the one that kind of reminded me of the solution to this study, The Learning Triangle!

CC Rookie
    Great study. (Brilliantly subtle clue! )

Thanks!

Thread Information